Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

As there was a thread made for the exam year in general, here's one for N5 Computing.

Looking for others who are taking this, we've got our Final Practical Test next Monday, is this different for a lot of you?

It'd be interesting to see how everyone else is getting on with the Course so far and Exam Preparation of course (or lack of :dontknow:).

ReputationRep:
    I am doing N5 computing, I got 77% in the prelim with an average test score of 91%. I regularly program using python and make various cool applications. I enjoy computing as it is one of my favourite subjects of all time, I barely even studied for it in the prelim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeadarKing)
    I am doing N5 computing, I got 77% in the prelim with an average test score of 91%. I regularly program using python and make various cool applications. I enjoy computing as it is one of my favourite subjects of all time, I barely even studied for it in the prelim.
    Nice scores there! Our school uses LiveCode, which I honestly hate because it's so easy to use... I might've overstudied for the prelim but oh welllllll :dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    Also doing nat 5 computing. We're doing our assignment at the moment. I usually find programming relatively easy, however I can't seem to make my program work for the software d&d section and I'm v stressed about it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    flapjack102 LeonTapscott123 You might find this thread useful

ReputationRep:
    Database Design in the Assignment is pretty simple but have to agree with stefbear, software design and development is seriously hard :/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Whats up with the assignment guys? Need any help?

ReputationRep:
    The SQL query in the N5 coursework doesn't do anything when I press run and it has the right syntax.

ReputationRep:
    The SQL query in the N5 coursework doesn't do anything when I press run and it has the right syntax.
    Did you make sure it was set to update?

ReputationRep:
    When I ran a query after not using SQL for a while I put the wrong type of query in. Check that its the right one as set above. Look back at old code too

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in National 5 last year. It’s annoying that they’ve changed the coursework and that it now has to be done under exam conditions in a specified time period. Hope everyone’s getting on alright with it though and with the rest of the course.

ReputationRep:
    I just can't seem to make my program work for the assignment, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It just... won't work? aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefbear)
    I just can't seem to make my program work for the assignment, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It just... won't work? aha
    I'm sure I'll discover this tomorrow - whole day Monday and half of Tuesday for us - so it'll be fairly busy. I'd recommend looking at it again with a clear mind and you should be able to notice more.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve got mine today, any tips??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefbear)
    Are you seeing any errors from the Python interpreter? If so, you might be able to find some clues by googling for those errors in case somebody has had the same problem before.

Also, have you tried stepping through your code line-by-line using the debugger? The debugger will help you see the 'flow' of your program as well as being able to inspect the state of your variables in case you can spot any mistakes.

(I don't know which IDE for Python you're using, if any. Here's a couple of links explaining how to use the debugger in a couple of popular IDEs. Using a debugger is pretty essential for programming, it's worth spending 20 minutes of your time learning how to do this - otherwise you could spend hours blindly 'guessing' at the problem.)
    IDLE - https://www.cs.uky.edu/~keen/help/de...ial/debug.html
    PyCharm - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/debugging.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterscoming)
    Are you seeing any errors from the Python interpreter? If so, you might be able to find some clues by googling for those errors in case somebody has had the same problem before.

Also, have you tried stepping through your code line-by-line using the debugger? The debugger will help you see the 'flow' of your program as well as being able to inspect the state of your variables in case you can spot any mistakes.
    Any tips for the assignment?

ReputationRep:
    Drawing to the end of today, honestly not a bad assignment, better than I expected and no remaining issues with anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burton906)
    Any tips for the assignment?
    Make sure you have revised:

- Data Dictionaries
    - Validation, Relationships, Queries
    - A tip our teacher gave us discreetly was to practise accepting words one letter at a time into a program, then putting them into a string, there's two methods of these, one should be every helpful.
    - As for web, its not that bad at all, just keep on top of your css and html (don't forget div's).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestDragon)
    Make sure you have revised:

- Data Dictionaries
    - Validation, Relationships, Queries
    - A tip our teacher gave us discreetly was to practise accepting words one letter at a time into a program, then putting them into a string, there's two methods of these, one should be every helpful.
    - As for web, its not that bad at all, just keep on top of your css and html (don't forget div's).

Hi yeh everything apart from the programming went well. I’m finsihing off on Monday so I could still do the programming. What did you do for the programming part for me I had no idea so I don’t think I did well at all. Can you tell me what you did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burton906)
    Hi yeh everything apart from the programming went well. I’m finsihing off on Monday so I could still do the programming. What did you do for the programming part for me I had no idea so I don’t think I did well at all. Can you tell me what you did?
    I'll pm you shortly. I'll try and keep it a little vague of course as I don't want to cheat - just point in the right direction

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.