Turn on thread page Beta

Religious view break a relationship? watch

So I've been with my boyfriend for a little over a year now and we have been long distance since the beginning. He lives in Mexico and I live in the U.S. He comes from a religious family and I don't have an issue with that at all. This past weekend he went to a religious retreat. He got back yesterday and we decided to facetime because I was curious to know how his past three days had gone. He was very inspired and happy and he told me he couldn't tell me more but he would love for me to do one as well. I explained to him before what my views are on religion. I'm more of a spiritual person but do believe in god. We ended up having long debate over what my views were and his views were. His views had changed and maybe it was because he had just gotten out of the retreat but he pretty much told me that I will see with time how he's going to change and that it's okay if I don't want to be with him anymore later on.. That made me very upset and at the end of our call I was just so sad and I felt like maybe this was sign that things are going to end. I want to work things out but I'm firm with my beliefs and have reasons for why I don't want to be a part of the church. But I also respect his point of view as he respects mine but I don't know if things will work out between us if we have different points of view on this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It can work. I'm an atheist and my boyfriend is Mormon although he doesn't practice anything, the only religious thing he does is believe in God. His family are more religious than him. We make it work, it's not an issue. As long as you guys respect each other and don't force each other to change your beliefs it will be fine.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It really depends. I would say one partner having a small belief in God but not being hugely connected to the church and the other being agnostic could work. But a highly religious person... I would say no. You have to think about the future too - how will your children be raised? Where will you get married? What if you wanted an abortion and he didn't believe in it? And think about whether his beliefs translate into other issues around family life e.g. women working.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.