Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I had a payment coming out of PayPal (6 spark plugs for the XJS) which came out just after I had to pay for a train ticket with my debit card because the manned version was shut.

Turns out I was £2.96 over the agreed overdraft of £0.00 and ... I got my parents to loan me that amount so I could pay for the sparkplugs.

I thought nothing of it until ...

... I got a letter through the post from HSBC with one of those annoying advice slips (I don't normally get into debt full stop - similar thing to this has happened before btw) and I never read them until today:

We may share this information with Credit Reference Agencies
    Umm ... ****
    So is that it for my credit rating? Will I be in a position when I'm older asking for a loan / mortgage and "Sorry, you have a history of poor finance"?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    If this is the first time you've gone overdrawn, you may be okay. Call up your bank now (literally ASAP) and explain the situation, and they may let you off this one time, athough it may still appear on your credit report afterward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    If this is the first time you've gone overdrawn, you may be okay. Call up your bank now (literally ASAP) and explain the situation, and they may let you off this one time, athough it may still appear on your credit report afterward.
    No that's the thing this has sort of happened before in similar kind of situations but I thought nothing of it because I always paid up within 24 hours.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    No that's the thing this has sort of happened before in similar kind of situations but I thought nothing of it because I always paid up within 24 hours.
    Well, I'd still contact your bank, maybe you can appeal to their better nature and get let off the hook one more time. It sounds like you maybe need to be watching your finances a bit better though, you're likely not going to be getting any more chances after this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.