Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So basically I've come to the conclusion that I want to study Classics and Egyptology at university, however I am, unfortunately faced with the problem that only two universities in the UK actually offer this course; The University of Liverpool and Oxford university. Considering I am from the Liverpool area and want to move away for the 'typical' student life, I don't particularly want to go there. However I am also faced with a problem regarding Oxford; in year 10 and 11 my mental health deteriorated, due to bullying, OCD, depression etc and had to take, considerable amounts of time off school ( 4 months year 10, 1 month year 11) and didn't quite achieve Oxford grades ( A*AAABBBBC) , hence I'm wondering, with these given factors taken into consideration of what chances I actually have of getting on this course, I could most definitely show my interest in the subject at interview its just getting an interview is the problem. Also I am predicted A*AA in A levels English Lit, History and Law, and most definitely could achieve that and more. Any help would be much appreciated !!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by egyptologyyy)
    Hey,

So basically I've come to the conclusion that I want to study Classics and Egyptology at university, however I am, unfortunately faced with the problem that only two universities in the UK actually offer this course; The University of Liverpool and Oxford university. Considering I am from the Liverpool area and want to move away for the 'typical' student life, I don't particularly want to go there. However I am also faced with a problem regarding Oxford; in year 10 and 11 my mental health deteriorated, due to bullying, OCD, depression etc and had to take, considerable amounts of time off school ( 4 months year 10, 1 month year 11) and didn't quite achieve Oxford grades ( A*AAABBBBC) , hence I'm wondering, with these given factors taken into consideration of what chances I actually have of getting on this course, I could most definitely show my interest in the subject at interview its just getting an interview is the problem. Also I am predicted A*AA in A levels English Lit, History and Law, and most definitely could achieve that and more. Any help would be much appreciated !!!
    Disclaimer - I don't do Classics or Oriental Studies. Extenuating circumstances are taken into account, I can't speak for admissions tutors but generally speaking the guidance seems to be that GCSEs are not the most important part of the application and underwhelming results can be overlooked if the rest of the application suggests you are a good fit for the course. The bigger concern I'd have is whether the very intense environment at Oxford is a good idea if those mental health problems are an ongoing issue - I don't know your personal circumstances, but it's something to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Disclaimer - I don't do Classics or Oriental Studies. Extenuating circumstances are taken into account, I can't speak for admissions tutors but generally speaking the guidance seems to be that GCSEs are not the most important part of the application and underwhelming results can be overlooked if the rest of the application suggests you are a good fit for the course. The bigger concern I'd have is whether the very intense environment at Oxford is a good idea if those mental health problems are an ongoing issue - I don't know your personal circumstances, but it's something to consider.
    Hello,
    These problems aren't ongoing and weren't actually related to work anyway, however thank your for the feedback and I'll look into it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.