Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I thought I'd do this thread. Below is a brief description of how the different classes work.

Skiing:
    Classes B1-3 have a visual impairment and ski guided. (as a visually impaired person, the thought terrifies me and I've got more vision than them!) People in B1 class have the lowest amount of vision. They're unable to see the large letter "E" on the eye chart. Some may have some useful vision and have to wear eyeshades. B2 have a bit more vision than B1 althetes. They can see the letter "E" up to 4 metres.

LW1-4 are standing athletes. The higher the number, the less severe the impairments.

LW 5/7 have impairments in both arms

LW 6/8 have an impairment in one arm

LW9 have impairments in both arms and legs

LW 10 - 12 are sit-skiers. The higher the number, the more severe the impairment.

Wheelchair curling has just the one class. Some athletes who complete in this class may not use a wheelchair in daily life.

In para-ice hockey, the players sit in sledges.

Paralympics will be shown on Ch4.

ReputationRep:
    I was watching summer Paralympics a while ago and was amazed by those athletes... I mean you have to have such a willpower to do all those things you are not expected to be able to do... like swimming with no arms or running blind. wow!!!!
    Winter Paralympics should be even more amazing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.