Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Wrong Course, Wrong Uni, Wrong City, HELP! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi student room,

I am in a really strange/bad situation which I am finding hard to define even to myself. I am not happy with where I am currently and feel like there is no way out. So any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Last year I was in Yr 13, I had accepted a conditional offer from Sheffield University for Economics and Finance BSc for 3 A's. However my focus wavered and my grades dropped, leading me to clearing.

My A levels are:

Maths: B

Chemistry: C

Physics: C

(and an A in an EPQ)

I was determined not to spend another year at my sixth form and so took an offer from Coventry Uni for a Financial Economics BA on clearing day. However, in retrospect this seems like the single biggest mistake of my life. First of all, after almost a full year of university, and 14k of student loan, I have come to realise that I am not as interested in economics as i once thought I was, which has led to an even further departure from the good grades I was achieving at AS level. And secondly I dislike Coventry as a university and a city, this may not have been helped by the fact that my GF of 5 years is currently at Leeds beckett uni so I can only compare Coventry with Leeds.

To add to all of this I have already signed a contract and paid a deposit for housing next year with the few friends I have made.

Do I bite the bullet and hope that my interest in the subject will grow again, and somehow put up with the university and the people in full knowledge that I would be much happier if I were in a different city, doing a different course?

Do I cut my losses, go back to any college/sixth from that will have me? Effectively rendering the past two years of my life pointless, and the 14k I have already spent a needless debt, in the hope that I may achieve better and attend a university, course and city that will make me happy?

Do I stick in Coventry but try transferring to a course I know I will enjoy more? But in doing so condemn me to another year in this awful place? At least it would mean I wouldn’t have to sacrifice the few friends I have made here.

Thank-you for reading and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR -> I am in the wrong university doing the wrong degree and feel trapped by obligations next year and all the money that will be essentially wasted if I quit now.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Economist1999)
    Hi student room,

I am in a really strange/bad situation which I am finding hard to define even to myself. I am not happy with where I am currently and feel like there is no way out. So any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Last year I was in Yr 13, I had accepted a conditional offer from Sheffield University for Economics and Finance BSc for 3 A's. However my focus wavered and my grades dropped, leading me to clearing.

My A levels are:

Maths: B

Chemistry: C

Physics: C

(and an A in an EPQ)

I was determined not to spend another year at my sixth form and so took an offer from Coventry Uni for a Financial Economics BA on clearing day. However, in retrospect this seems like the single biggest mistake of my life. First of all, after almost a full year of university, and 14k of student loan, I have come to realise that I am not as interested in economics as i once thought I was, which has led to an even further departure from the good grades I was achieving at AS level. And secondly I dislike Coventry as a university and a city, this may not have been helped by the fact that my GF of 5 years is currently at Leeds beckett uni so I can only compare Coventry with Leeds.

To add to all of this I have already signed a contract and paid a deposit for housing next year with the few friends I have made.

Do I bite the bullet and hope that my interest in the subject will grow again, and somehow put up with the university and the people in full knowledge that I would be much happier if I were in a different city, doing a different course?

Do I cut my losses, go back to any college/sixth from that will have me? Effectively rendering the past two years of my life pointless, and the 14k I have already spent a needless debt, in the hope that I may achieve better and attend a university, course and city that will make me happy?

Do I stick in Coventry but try transferring to a course I know I will enjoy more? But in doing so condemn me to another year in this awful place? At least it would mean I wouldn’t have to sacrifice the few friends I have made here.

Thank-you for reading and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR -> I am in the wrong university doing the wrong degree and feel trapped by obligations next year and all the money that will be essentially wasted if I quit now.
    its not too late to get a replacement tenant and as far as the debt goes most people dont pay the full amount back anyway. so just looking at it from the degree itself if you hate it then you could really struggle to get good grades going forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    its not too late to get a replacement tenant and as far as the debt goes most people dont pay the full amount back anyway. so just looking at it from the degree itself if you hate it then you could really struggle to get good grades going forward.
    Thank-you for the response, I am currently only acheiving in the realms of a 2:2, which is nowhere near what I know I could be getting if I could only apply myself.

ReputationRep:
    I had this exact same dilemma a couple of years ago OP and I'm now going back to university this year after I did what you said, I cut my losses! I was studying economics just like yourself but at the unversity of Hull. And it was hell on earth, the uni was terrible, the course was terrible and worst of all where I lived was horrific and it drove me to do something which I don't wish to repeat on here. Anyhow I decided to get myself out before it was too late to change my mind and I have subsequently been working in retail and bar work for the past couple of years to keep me afloat. The former of which h (retail) made me realise I wanted to go back to university. So after taking a couple of years out I have finally decided to study archaeology at Sheffield and I honestly cannot wait to begin! OP my advice from my own personal experience is to get yourself out of it before its too late and there's no turning back (i.e funding and student finance etc). Your more than welcome to message me for any advice at all, and I wish you all the best!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.