Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

By-election manifestos & vote watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected as an MP?
    JoeL1994, TSR Labour Party
    45.95%
    Jsk800, TSR National Conservative Party
    9.46%
    TCFactor, TSR Liberal Party
    31.08%
    Scisaac, TSR Libertarian Party
    41.89%
    Little Toy Gun, TSR Conservative & Unionist Party
    28.38%
    Joep95, Independent candidate
    8.11%

• Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    NIT.

I'm not talking about the member, I'm talking about the policies in the manifesto that is clearly under the name of your party.

And those views are the same - to implement NIT which is a Libertarian policy.

I think it does because the Liberal Party never had NIT in their manifesto until the recent GE, you did not have a pledge like that before then. But it's OK to copy something then because it's natural but not now because I assume it's unnatural? Sorry, your argument doesn't make any sense.
    It was literally one of our key policies from the last election...

Click on our by-election manifesto and you'll see it in our manifesto
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    It was literally one of our key policies from the last election...

Click on our by-election manifesto and you'll see it in our manifesto
    I was not claiming that it wasn't...

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter if there is a policy overlap? It means there's a higher chance of those polices passing. From my understanding the liberals, tories, libers and NatCons all seem to support a NIT which is good.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Foreward by the Libertarians indicates to me that they are lacking people to be MPs. And why they want to "stand up against the government" when it's possible that they'll soon be in one indicates they haven't proofread given recent events.
    This is unfair; Scisaac volunteered to resign the second seat and defend it in the by-election. That is not an absence of people willing to be MPs, but an indication of a close-knit party that is working alongside one another. It was written before the collapse of the government which is why that line is in there. I find it somewhat amusing that we've been too distracted with taking down the government to actually include that achievement in the manifesto!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Why does it matter if there is a policy overlap? It means there's a higher chance of those polices passing. From my understanding the liberals, tories, libers and NatCons all seem to support a NIT which is good.
    Hear, hear.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I was not claiming that it wasn't...
    It's one thing putting in policy from your general election manifesto that another party has also supported before and another taking a new policy that has never been in a Tory manifesto and sticking it in your by-election manifesto, not that I'm fussed either way. I look forward to your party helping us pass the policy
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's one thing putting in policy from your general election manifesto that another party has also supported before and another taking a new policy that has never been in a Tory manifesto and sticking it in your by-election manifesto
    Yeah, one's in a by-election and one's in a general election.

Like T said, this is a non-issue and if anything it's a good thing so I don't know why you and your Liberal colleague are moaning about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    DayneD89 Mr Speaker, the candidates are all so **** I don't want to vote for anybody, where is Mr Spoilt Ballot?
    You should vote for me.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah, one's in a by-election and one's in a general election.

Like T said, this is a non-issue and if anything it's a good thing so I don't know why you and your Liberal colleague are moaning about it.
    I'm not moaning about it, I'm defending my party's policy on a negative income tax
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    You should vote for me.
    You're asking to get roasted.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not moaning about it, I'm defending my party's policy on a negative income tax
    Well apologies if there was a misunderstanding... I wasn't arguing about the policy but the poor argument from your Liberal colleague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    You're asking to get roasted.
    I've been told Chinese food is quite popular in Britain.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    This is unfair; Scisaac volunteered to resign the second seat and defend it in the by-election. That is not an absence of people willing to be MPs, but an indication of a close-knit party that is working alongside one another. It was written before the collapse of the government which is why that line is in there. I find it somewhat amusing that we've been too distracted with taking down the government to actually include that achievement in the manifesto!
    Sorry, did I claim to be fair? I must apologise for that inaccuracy. I said the foreward indicates it. I at no point said that was the case, nor that I believed it to be.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    I like how this thread has gone from being a "by-election thread" to "let's attack CG thread" :rolleyes:
    I'd like to say I'm not attacking CG, I pointed out the duplication of Liberal party policy into the Conservative manifesto, anyone from their party could have defended it, including the person whose name is on it, but they haven't.
    I'm not talking about the member, I'm talking about the policies in the manifesto that is clearly under the name of your party.

And those views are the same - to implement NIT which is a Libertarian policy.

I think it does because the Liberal Party never had NIT in their manifesto until the recent GE, you did not have a pledge like that before then. But it's OK to copy something then because it's natural but not now because I assume it's unnatural? Sorry, your argument doesn't make any sense.
    Since the by-election is for a candidate, and not a party, I think the Liberal candidate's manifesto is representative of their views, since they are politically both Liberal and Libertarian, so is their manifesto.
    I wasn't arguing about the policy but the poor argument from your Liberal colleague.
    What argument was that? I made the point that your candidate has used a Liberal party policy. If you read anything beyond that into my words than you overestimate the impact I was trying to have.
    Not moaning, just pointing it out to the electorate.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to say I'm not attacking CG, I pointed out the duplication of Liberal party policy into the Conservative manifesto, anyone from their party could have defended it, including the person whose name is on it, but they haven't.
    I'm a neoliberal like Baroness Thatcher, and I was in the TSR Liberal Party for a while, so it shouldn't come as a surprise if there are policy overlaps. And of course, I'm in a mostly left-wing profession after all, no matter how much farther right I am compared to most of my colleagues.

As a gay person of colour not from mainland UK, it is natural for me to have liberal tendencies on the social side of things (eg gay marriage); but to me, the conservative view to preserve traditions and the conservative/neoliberal economics are of utmost importance to me.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I'm a neoliberal like Baroness Thatcher, and I was in the TSR Liberal Party for a while, so it shouldn't come as a surprise if there are policy overlaps. And of course, I'm in a mostly left-wing profession after all, no matter how much farther right I am compared to most of my colleagues.

As a gay person of colour not from mainland UK, it is natural for me to have liberal tendencies on the social side of things (eg gay marriage); but to me, the conservative view to preserve traditions and the conservative/neoliberal economics are of utmost importance to me.
    And THAT was the logical counter to my point.

I've missed you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Since the by-election is for a candidate, and not a party, I think the Liberal candidate's manifesto is representative of their views, since they are politically both Liberal and Libertarian, so is their manifesto.
    That's irrelevant to the argument that you were making, saying we copied it and we can't think of our own policies... I'm aware that this person is formerly a Libertarian but being in the Liberals now he'd be expected to adopt Liberal policy - and surprise surprise... something that was once specifically Libertarian is now on the Liberal manifesto after the GE and is being used again.

There's nothing wrong with adopting a policy from another party - it shows that you can work together to implement it. Seems to me you're making a fuss out of nothing...

What argument was that? I made the point that your candidate has used a Liberal party policy. If you read anything beyond that into my words than you overestimate the impact I was trying to have.
    Not moaning, just pointing it out to the electorate.
    The one where you claim it's copying if we didn't have it at the GE but if we did then it's not copying - which is nonsense.

I was not reading beyond the words, I read exactly what you said.

"Conservatives could do with thinking of their own policies."
    "Seeing the Tories copying Liberal policies here was mildly amusing."

First one sounds like moaning to me. Also, you've got a strange sense of humour.

ReputationRep:
    And THAT was the logical counter to my point.

I've missed you.

Then perhaps you should vote for me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Then perhaps you should vote for me.
    That is too adorable for me to be caught up in petty political nonsense, what have you done?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    That's irrelevant to the argument that you were making, saying we copied it and we can't think of our own policies... I'm aware that this person is formerly a Libertarian but being in the Liberals now he'd be expected to adopt Liberal policy - and surprise surprise... something that was once specifically Libertarian is now on the Liberal manifesto after the GE and is being used again.

There's nothing wrong with adopting a policy from another party - it shows that you can work together to implement it. Seems to me you're making a fuss out of nothing...

The one where you claim it's copying if we didn't have it at the GE but if we did then it's not copying - which is nonsense.

I was not reading beyond the words, I read exactly what you said.

"Conservatives could do with thinking of their own policies."
    "Seeing the Tories copying Liberal policies here was mildly amusing."

First one sounds like moaning to me. Also, you've got a strange sense of humour.
    No because if your part of a party (or at least, this party) you're not expected to religiously follow a specific set of policies, if that were true I'd have left 18 months ago.

Again, not making a fuss at all.

First one isn't moaning at all. It's constructive if anything. Moaning would be calling you unoriginal, which I haven't, because you're not.

And my strangeness shouldn't be news to you by now.:nah:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.