Turn on thread page Beta

By-election manifestos & vote watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected as an MP?
    JoeL1994, TSR Labour Party
    45.95%
    Jsk800, TSR National Conservative Party
    9.46%
    TCFactor, TSR Liberal Party
    31.08%
    Scisaac, TSR Libertarian Party
    41.89%
    Little Toy Gun, TSR Conservative & Unionist Party
    28.38%
    Joep95, Independent candidate
    8.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    That is too adorable for me to be caught up in petty political nonsense, what have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    I'm a neoliberal like Baroness Thatcher, and I was in the TSR Liberal Party for a while, so it shouldn't come as a surprise if there are policy overlaps. And of course, I'm in a mostly left-wing profession after all, no matter how much farther right I am compared to most of my colleagues.

As a gay person of colour not from mainland UK, it is natural for me to have liberal tendencies on the social side of things (eg gay marriage); but to me, the conservative view to preserve traditions and the conservative/neoliberal economics are of utmost importance to me.
    You're a gay Chinese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    You're a gay Chinese?
    Yes. Born British national tho.

Also, for what it's worth, I argued against breaking the agreement.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You're a gay Chinese?
    This may not be mainstream thought in National Conservative land, but Chinese people can actually be gay.

ReputationRep:
    This may not be mainstream thought in National Conservative land, but Chinese people can actually be gay.
    In fact, most modern bananas are bent.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Born British national tho.

Also, for what it's worth, I argued against breaking the agreement.
    I guess we have another gay person in the house the other being Snufkin.

I know but gay Chinese is not common.

ReputationRep:
    He who we must not name. :beard:

I know but gay Chinese is not common.
    Not openly gay ones, perhaps. But I'm not from China, live 10000 miles away from my parents, and there's nothing holding me back.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I still don’t understand what’s the problem CG. Policy overlap is fine and knowing TCF, he probably asked for that policy to be on there given that’s a thing he believes in, whether he’s in the Liberals or the Libertarians. It is still a liberal manifesto using liberal manifesto pledges, so there really shouldn’t be a fuss.
    Tbh, the Lib manifesto is nice and simple, being visually appealing.

(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    That’s irrelevant to the argument that you were making, saying we copied it and we can’t think of our own policies... I’m aware that this person is formerly a Libertarian but being in the Liberals now he’d be expected to adopt Liberal policy - and surprise surprise... something that was once specifically Libertarian is now on the Liberal manifesto after the GE and is being used again.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    I still don’t understand what’s the problem CG. Policy overlap is fine and knowing TCF, he probably asked for that policy to be on there given that’s a thing he believes in, whether he’s in the Liberals or the Libertarians. It is still a liberal manifesto using liberal manifesto pledges, so there really shouldn’t be a fuss.
    Tbh, the Lib manifesto is nice and simple, being visually appealing.
    If you reading the exchanges you'd realise I never had a problem with a policy overlap and I wasn't the one raising a problem with it...!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    If you reading the exchanges you'd realise I never had a problem with a policy overlap and I wasn't the one raising a problem with it...!
    I started writing the reply before I fully read the full exchange sorry. I sort of wrote the first line then wrote everything else afterwards (and forgot to edit it). Sorry if I tried to blame you there.
    Mind you the last page of replies are definitely more lighthearted than the last by election which is a nice change , so I shouldn’t have much to complain about there

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to see by-election threads have descended into the same immature squabbling that is currently going on in 4 Q&A threads.

"Libertarians aren't libertarian"
    "You stole my policy"
    "I hate everyone"

Maybe if all of you actually asked some questions, people would see the House isn't just a b*tching ground for people with no friends.

While I'm here: Vote Labour!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    It's nice to see by-election threads have descended into the same immature squabbling that is currently going on in 4 Q&A threads.

"You stole my policy"
    "I hate everyone"

Maybe if all of you actually asked some questions, people would see the House isn't just a b*tching ground for people with no friends.

But that's exactly what it is...

ReputationRep:
    And another being myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scisaac)
    And another being myself
    Another gay person in the house. I wonder if there are more gays hidden somewhere in the house :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Another gay person in the house. I wonder if there are more gays hidden somewhere in the house :ninja:
    Not sure how this is relevant to any of the discussion?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I'm not restarting it for that xD. Tbh I've never seen the point in it, just don't vote.
    Congratulations on ****ing up and being too lazy to fix it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I like how this thread has gone from being a "by-election thread" to "let's attack CG thread" :rolleyes:
    Well since he's finally left the bunker for a few minutes he may as well get what he missed over the last few days.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You should vote for me.
    How about no.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)

"You stole my policy"
    "I hate everyone"

How about instead of *****ing about questions not being asked and implicitly insulting the rest of the house you answer the questions asked
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Not sure on VAT yet as it depends how much it is cut by. £300million obviously for policing. Legalising and Taxing drugs will make the Government money (I'd say in the region of £1bn but it depends on the amount taxed). NIT will also likely save the Government money, but this isn't the reason for pursuing the policy and it'll probably be a negligible amount. Scrapping KS1 and KS2 stats will also save some money, but it will again be a fairly small amount.

Tldr: Hard to say as it depends on a variety of factors. Only two policies that will cost rather than save is funding policing and reducing VAT
    Interesting, can't do it when you're the candidate but when it's somebody else you have no problems answering in such a way as to not answer, you also missed out how you're going to get electric car production for the UK alone to be nearly three times the annual production in less than a decade, how massive are the subsidies going to have to be?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.