Lau1503
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can any one tell me where can I find information about: Alkanes and alkenes are…Similarities include… Differences include…This is because… The bonding in alkanes consist of…The bonding in alkenes consist of…The pi bond is formed by…Chemical reactions they undergo are…(Compare and contrast the properties of alkanes and alkenes, including hybridisation of atomic orbitals of carbon, bonding in alkenes and alkanes, combustion reactions, homolytic substitution, electrophilic addition. Explain the formation of the pi bond in alkenes.)

So far I got this

Alkanes and alkenes are two types of hydrocarbon families which contain carbon and hydrogen in their molecular structure. Similarities include: Solubility in organic solvent, Solubility in organic solvent (it is low), alkanes and alkenes start with a similar formula CH2, but after that those hydrocarbons formula is different and finally the molecular mass, but Each member of homologous differs from the next/successive member of 14 unit. As alkanes and alkenes have similarities they also have differences which include: Reaction with oxygen, O2gas, Alkanes have a more complete combustion while alkenes have an incomplete combustion this is because the alkenes double bonds are harder to break down to combust than the single bond of the alkanes; Alkanes are saturated (all carbon atoms hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms) while alkenes are unsaturated (carbon atoms do not hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms)

Please at leat gave a good site
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lau1503)
Can any one tell me where can I find information about: Alkanes and alkenes are…Similarities include… Differences include…This is because… The bonding in alkanes consist of…The bonding in alkenes consist of…The pi bond is formed by…Chemical reactions they undergo are…(Compare and contrast the properties of alkanes and alkenes, including hybridisation of atomic orbitals of carbon, bonding in alkenes and alkanes, combustion reactions, homolytic substitution, electrophilic addition. Explain the formation of the pi bond in alkenes.)

So far I got this

Alkanes and alkenes are two types of hydrocarbon families which contain carbon and hydrogen in their molecular structure. Similarities include: Solubility in organic solvent, Solubility in organic solvent (it is low), alkanes and alkenes start with a similar formula CH2, but after that those hydrocarbons formula is different and finally the molecular mass, but Each member of homologous differs from the next/successive member of 14 unit. As alkanes and alkenes have similarities they also have differences which include: Reaction with oxygen, O2gas, Alkanes have a more complete combustion while alkenes have an incomplete combustion this is because the alkenes double bonds are harder to break down to combust than the single bond of the alkanes; Alkanes are saturated (all carbon atoms hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms) while alkenes are unsaturated (carbon atoms do not hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms)

Please at leat gave a good site
alkanes
http://www.ibchem.com/IB16/10.31.htm

alkenes
http://www.ibchem.com/IB16/10.32.htm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (51)
19.92%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (58)
22.66%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (48)
18.75%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (54)
21.09%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (22)
8.59%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
8.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed