Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can any one tell me where can I find information about: Alkanes and alkenes are…Similarities include… Differences include…This is because… The bonding in alkanes consist of…The bonding in alkenes consist of…The pi bond is formed by…Chemical reactions they undergo are…(Compare and contrast the properties of alkanes and alkenes, including hybridisation of atomic orbitals of carbon, bonding in alkenes and alkanes, combustion reactions, homolytic substitution, electrophilic addition. Explain the formation of the pi bond in alkenes.)

So far I got this

Alkanes and alkenes are two types of hydrocarbon families which contain carbon and hydrogen in their molecular structure. Similarities include: Solubility in organic solvent, Solubility in organic solvent (it is low), alkanes and alkenes start with a similar formula CH2, but after that those hydrocarbons formula is different and finally the molecular mass, but Each member of homologous differs from the next/successive member of 14 unit. As alkanes and alkenes have similarities they also have differences which include: Reaction with oxygen, O2gas, Alkanes have a more complete combustion while alkenes have an incomplete combustion this is because the alkenes double bonds are harder to break down to combust than the single bond of the alkanes; Alkanes are saturated (all carbon atoms hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms) while alkenes are unsaturated (carbon atoms do not hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms)

Please at leat gave a good site
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Lau1503)
    Can any one tell me where can I find information about: Alkanes and alkenes are…Similarities include… Differences include…This is because… The bonding in alkanes consist of…The bonding in alkenes consist of…The pi bond is formed by…Chemical reactions they undergo are…(Compare and contrast the properties of alkanes and alkenes, including hybridisation of atomic orbitals of carbon, bonding in alkenes and alkanes, combustion reactions, homolytic substitution, electrophilic addition. Explain the formation of the pi bond in alkenes.)

So far I got this

Alkanes and alkenes are two types of hydrocarbon families which contain carbon and hydrogen in their molecular structure. Similarities include: Solubility in organic solvent, Solubility in organic solvent (it is low), alkanes and alkenes start with a similar formula CH2, but after that those hydrocarbons formula is different and finally the molecular mass, but Each member of homologous differs from the next/successive member of 14 unit. As alkanes and alkenes have similarities they also have differences which include: Reaction with oxygen, O2gas, Alkanes have a more complete combustion while alkenes have an incomplete combustion this is because the alkenes double bonds are harder to break down to combust than the single bond of the alkanes; Alkanes are saturated (all carbon atoms hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms) while alkenes are unsaturated (carbon atoms do not hold the highest allowed amount of hydrogen atoms)

Please at leat gave a good site
    alkanes
    http://www.ibchem.com/IB16/10.31.htm

alkenes
    http://www.ibchem.com/IB16/10.32.htm

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.