Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The thought of having to keep up straight A's for Oxbridge is killing me watch

Announcements

Instead of studying, I freeze and don't do anything because I'm scared of failiure. I know that if I get a B I am done for. I have a history exam tomorrow and I haven't started to study yet because of the pressure of an A, the longer I leave it, the less chances I have to get an A and the more anxiety I get.
    Then I think that if I'm not able to cope with this I won't be able to cope with Cambridge but I want it really bad, so much that I feel paralyzed at the thought of not getting in and dissapointing my family. I have never seen my dad care about me and what I do until I told him that I had chances to get into Cambridge. I'm from Spain and It's eight o clock and the exam is tomorrow. I've been pulling all nighters and have been getting A's but I can't get my self to study right now. Has anyone else felt this? What helped you? what should I do

ReputationRep:
    First things first- breathe!!! Take a break, gather your thoughts.

Honestly it sounds like you're overworking. All nighters are not healthy, regardless of how much people insist they work. Short term maybe they seem useful but all you're going to do is exhaust yourself and underperform because of exhaustion. Also if you can't handle the pressure now then you probably are right- the pressure at Cambridge will be crushing (constant deadlines mean this will be your life all the time at Cambridge). It's not the be all and end all.

I come from a very different perspective to you, I was never interested in prestigious unis, so I don't understand fully what you're thinking. But I will say that whilst it's great that you have ambition and drive, no fancy degree or university or job is worth your health (physical or mental). I know people who go to Oxford and Cambridge and I would not want to trade my uni life for theirs.

Also this might be bang out of order but regarding your Dad- either he DOES really care about you and will be proud of you regardless because you've worked hard or if what you say is true and he does only care about what uni you get into, then he needs to sort his priorities. To be honest I think your Dad cares about you regardless.

Do your best. And your best means making what you can of the circumstance- not thinking about what you should have done or how you could have done things better. Nothing is perfect. Get a bit of sleep, eat some food and do short but productive bursts of revising key material.

Good luck with your exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Instead of studying, I freeze and don't do anything because I'm scared of failiure. I know that if I get a B I am done for. I have a history exam tomorrow and I haven't started to study yet because of the pressure of an A, the longer I leave it, the less chances I have to get an A and the more anxiety I get.
    Then I think that if I'm not able to cope with this I won't be able to cope with Cambridge but I want it really bad, so much that I feel paralyzed at the thought of not getting in and dissapointing my family. I have never seen my dad care about me and what I do until I told him that I had chances to get into Cambridge. I'm from Spain and It's eight o clock and the exam is tomorrow. I've been pulling all nighters and have been getting A's but I can't get my self to study right now. Has anyone else felt this? What helped you? what should I do
    You're not alone. I have the same problem atm with Maths. I think just planning some stuff that needs to get done for the next test and then doing it without thinking too much about long term implications (I know this is difficult but just force yourself to do some flashcards or some revision technique you enjoy- go outside and listen to a podcast or something idk). Because once the spiraling thoughts start I also find it really hard to get out of. I had the same problem today- have mocks and teo actual A levels to give in a few weeks and just could not focus. But I just spoke to a friend and it helped massively. I assume by now the history test is over- so just take a breather (half a day or a day) and plan out what needs to be done. Every time you feel anxious about achieving those grades just have a coping mechanism- like singing out loud to your favourite song or something. When you take your day off stay away from study youtubers or anything that will remind you of oxbridge. Get a regular sleep routine as well. Oh and when I'm particularly panicky about not reaching oxbridge or something I just do some star jumps and exercise, cos I'm not really sporty, so I soon relx and get tired from exercise, before feeling motivated enough to revise (because I don't want to exercise more). I hope this helps and sorry for rambling

(Original post by PollyParrot23)
    First things first- breathe!!! Take a break, gather your thoughts.

Honestly it sounds like you're overworking. All nighters are not healthy, regardless of how much people insist they work. Short term maybe they seem useful but all you're going to do is exhaust yourself and underperform because of exhaustion. Also if you can't handle the pressure now then you probably are right- the pressure at Cambridge will be crushing (constant deadlines mean this will be your life all the time at Cambridge). It's not the be all and end all.

I come from a very different perspective to you, I was never interested in prestigious unis, so I don't understand fully what you're thinking. But I will say that whilst it's great that you have ambition and drive, no fancy degree or university or job is worth your health (physical or mental). I know people who go to Oxford and Cambridge and I would not want to trade my uni life for theirs.

Also this might be bang out of order but regarding your Dad- either he DOES really care about you and will be proud of you regardless because you've worked hard or if what you say is true and he does only care about what uni you get into, then he needs to sort his priorities. To be honest I think your Dad cares about you regardless.

Do your best. And your best means making what you can of the circumstance- not thinking about what you should have done or how you could have done things better. Nothing is perfect. Get a bit of sleep, eat some food and do short but productive bursts of revising key material.

Good luck with your exam!

you're very right about the health thing. It's easy to get tangled in thoughts that induce anxiety. I'm going to start working out to see if that helps. The exam ended up turning out fine, I had only slept 2h that night so I've probably got a couple answers wrong, maybe I got enough to get an A, or B+
    thank you for your answer <3

(Original post by i13614SKS)
    You're not alone. I have the same problem atm with Maths. I think just planning some stuff that needs to get done for the next test and then doing it without thinking too much about long term implications (I know this is difficult but just force yourself to do some flashcards or some revision technique you enjoy- go outside and listen to a podcast or something idk). Because once the spiraling thoughts start I also find it really hard to get out of. I had the same problem today- have mocks and teo actual A levels to give in a few weeks and just could not focus. But I just spoke to a friend and it helped massively. I assume by now the history test is over- so just take a breather (half a day or a day) and plan out what needs to be done. Every time you feel anxious about achieving those grades just have a coping mechanism- like singing out loud to your favourite song or something. When you take your day off stay away from study youtubers or anything that will remind you of oxbridge. Get a regular sleep routine as well. Oh and when I'm particularly panicky about not reaching oxbridge or something I just do some star jumps and exercise, cos I'm not really sporty, so I soon relx and get tired from exercise, before feeling motivated enough to revise (because I don't want to exercise more). I hope this helps and sorry for rambling
    Don't be sorry for rambling, your answer is tremendously helpful. It really calms me down to know that there are other people in the same situation as me.(especially the oxbridge youtuber thing) I've found that following oxbridge youtubers is kind of like a daily reminder of my goal, but it gives me anxiety in my "safe space" hahahah sometimes a girl just wants to watch some skrattar du forlorar du man. I'll use your advice the next time I've got an exam. thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.