Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Harris Westminster 2018 Offer Holders watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb)
    Core maths is not liked by unis. This is because it looks like you are to dumb to do normal maths like everyone else even though you were forced to do it (It is basically grade 9 maths with a few more topics). You are better off changing it and sitting a full A-level in maths
    Thats not true. Core maths is applied maths as opposed to pure maths which is what we do at GCSE. Universities actually like core maths if u are doing humanities subjects as it shows that u have transferable skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YD17HXM)
    issa joke, there was someone who said they got like 1000 lool
    Do u know what it’s all out of ?
    I know the exam is out of 540
    But I don’t know about the interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
    Yes, depending on what teacher you get, you'll be studying either the Tudors to the Victorian era, or either the German reformation, the American Revolution, the French Revolution or Italian unification. Here's some more info (scroll to page 21).
    Victorian era sounds interesting and so does the American and French Revolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YD17HXM)
    i got 750 in the harris exam
    Impossible, the exams and interview were out of 650.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    If I have to do Queen Elizabeth the I ever again I will fully kill myself.
    Why do u hate it so much 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    Victorian era sounds interesting and so does the American and French Revolution.
    Yeah, but I dont wanna do Tudors arrgh. I hope I get the modern history teacher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiddletrio)
    its a joke.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    He's joking.

ReputationRep:
    Thats not true. Core maths is applied maths as opposed to pure maths which is what we do at GCSE. Universities actually like core maths if u are doing humanities subjects as it shows that u have transferable skills.
    I’m so confused now - is core maths good or bad ???
    Do I change it to maths a level or leave it as core maths

ReputationRep:
    No as most people take it instead of the full A-level and you cannot compete against someone for a uni place if they have the full A-level which is almost always the case for someone applying for a STEM degree. (she is probably applying for medicine given her combo)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhess)
    Why do u hate it so much 😂
    As in I understand the significance of her reign but it's just that hardly anything interesting happens imo. I prefer Weimar and Nazi Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhess)
    I’m so confused now - is core maths good or bad ???
    Do I change it to maths a level or leave it as core maths
    If you want to do Medicine(seeing as you also chose bio and chem) you're better off doing A-level maths.

ReputationRep:
    No as most people take it instead of the full A-level and you cannot compete against someone for a uni place if they have the full A-level which is almost always the case for someone applying for a STEM degree. (she is probably applying for medicine given her combo)

That’s true and thanks I will change it to A-Level maths - the thing is with maths I just don’t think I enjoy it enough to continue doing it by choice for another 2 years - if I get my predicted grades then I can do it but I don’t know if I actually want to . Tbh I am constantly changing my mind about what subjects I wanna do except for Bio and Chemistry - I’ll probably change my mind on results day .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhess)
    That’s true and thanks I will change it to A-Level maths - the thing is with maths I just don’t think I enjoy it enough to continue doing it by choice for another 2 years - if I get my predicted grades then I can do it but I don’t know if I actually want to . Tbh I am constantly changing my mind about what subjects I wanna do except for Bio and Chemistry - I’ll probably change my mind on results day .
    I've been told that it's very risky to take any A Level subject if you don't enjoy studying it; especially in subjects like Maths and English, as the step up from GCSE is massive, and if you don't like it, you won't be motivated to study it; therefore gaining you an undesirable mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhess)
    Harris don't look at predictions, they just look at entrance exam performance, interview and what you get in the real ting

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what you all look like irl. I'm just worried because I'm starting Year 12 soon - yet I think I look like I'm 12. Let's just say that...

ReputationRep:
    Harris don't look at predictions, they just look at entrance exam performance, interview and what you get in the real ting
    Yeahh I knowww - I’m just saying that if I were to get my prediction or higher I still don’t know if I would do a-level maths because I’m not passionate about the subject and I’m not changing my choices just to get into a school / go to harris because I would hate my 2 years there .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhess)
    Yeahh I knowww - I’m just saying that if I were to get my prediction or higher I still don’t know if I would do a-level maths because I’m not passionate about the subject and I’m not changing my choices just to get into a school / go to harris because I would hate my 2 years there .
    I was also feeling the same way about Economics; I'm currently doing Business Studies at school so I thought Economics would be a good option. However, I'm put off by the amount of maths and logic that's required to do it, so in my offer letter today, I crossed it out and wrote Philosophy under it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz)
    I've been told that it's very risky to take any A Level subject if you don't enjoy studying it; especially in subjects like Maths and English, as the step up from GCSE is massive, and if you don't like it, you won't be motivated to study it; therefore gaining you an undesirable mark.

With Harris no matter what I am going to be doing maths for another 2 years or 1 depending on if I decide to do core or a level maths that’s why it’s gone down my list of sixth form choices because the main reason why I’m so happy to move on to a levels is to drop all the subjects that I don’t enjoy and maths is one of those .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhess)
    With Harris no matter what I am going to be doing maths for another 2 years or 1 depending on if I decide to do core or a level maths that’s why it’s gone down my list of sixth form choices because the main reason why I’m so happy to move on to a levels is to drop all the subjects that I don’t enjoy and maths is one of those .
    Maybe try emailing them and asking them if a compromise can be made?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.