Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

How to travel the world for the rest of your life without being wealthy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Right so I know that typical 9 to 5 working days would drive me crazy and make me feel like my existence is worthless but at 17 I want more to life than just 9 to 5 and I think that meaningfullness can be found through travelling an exploring.

What jobs would allow me to do that? I've always been interested in Journalism/broadcast journalism but im not sure if that would give me the lifestyle I want. I kind of want to travel and work at the same time but not like a typical job.
    I'm a curious inidvidual i really enjoy discovering how different cultures work and im always trying to prove something... is there anyway for this dream to become real?

ReputationRep:
    Travel blogging of course. You earn money from visits to your website or views of your YouTube videos, even posting on instagram gets you a few quid. And that money funds your next travel destination

ReputationRep:
    Flight attendant.

Working on a cruise ship.

Teaching English overseas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    Right so I know that typical 9 to 5 working days would drive me crazy and make me feel like my existence is worthless but at 17 I want more to life than just 9 to 5 and I think that meaningfullness can be found through travelling an exploring.

What jobs would allow me to do that? I've always been interested in Journalism/broadcast journalism but im not sure if that would give me the lifestyle I want. I kind of want to travel and work at the same time but not like a typical job.
    I'm a curious inidvidual i really enjoy discovering how different cultures work and im always trying to prove something... is there anyway for this dream to become real?

I used to live with a girl who was a flight attendant, literally every week she was flying off to someplace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    I used to live with a girl who was a flight attendant, literally every week she was flying off to someplace
    but do they even have fun? I'm pretty sure their job is quite strenuous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Flight attendant.

Working on a cruise ship.

Teaching English overseas.
    but teaching falls in to the cateogry of 9 to 5 job or something of the like..
    i already teach and I ****ing hate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Travel blogging of course. You earn money from visits to your website or views of your YouTube videos, even posting on instagram gets you a few quid. And that money funds your next travel destination
    okay but isnt that like soo common now, how successful would I even be considering the fact that so many people already do that, is there any need for more.

ReputationRep:
    ALso.. I'm about to do an English Literature degree at uni, i hope i dont regret it :/

ReputationRep:
    but do they even have fun? I'm pretty sure their job is quite strenuous

She would often leave the house for the airport, and i'd not see her for like 4 days or something ....then when she was back she was always having friends round and going out clubbing etc, then a few days later she'd be back on a plane.

I met some of her air cabin friends as well, they invited me out with them a couple of times [in england obviously] I did not get the impression they were stressed out with their job.

ReputationRep:
    okay but isnt that like soo common now, how successful would I even be considering the fact that so many people already do that, is there any need for more.
    You can team up with other travel bloggers. Shared experiences are very much worth the travelling

ReputationRep:
    plenty of jobs will offer work abroad so whatever you do at Uni should be flexible and not fixed. I think you need to worry less about this, as long as you're exams go well and you show your potential at Uni, your career will lead the way. English Lit is a good course as I think there are several different options of career choices you can undertake. Also save up for travelling in the mean time if this is what motivates you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Flight attendant vacancies may not have specific educational requirements but may require you to be able to swim.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Some jobs allow you to go abroad.

My apprenticeship allows me to go to Germany every week - all expenses paid with the exception of lunch

ReputationRep:
    The three ways I can think of from the top of my head is:

- freelancing. There are many jobs out there that you can become an independent contractor in. For example, graphic designer, web developer, software developer, web designer, writer, ...
    - trading. You can do day trading but you need to very good at it. A less riskier apparoach (this isn't day trading but I don't know what this is called... You could call it investing but you don't wait for 1-5 years) would be to, for example, buy stocks that you believe are undervalued and sell them at a higher price, after a few weeks or months.
    - own a source of passive income that can accomodate that style of living: buisnesses that run on its own, investments...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.