Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got an unconditional offer for English with Creative Writing, which is super exciting, but I sometimes get doubts because you never really know what something is like when you've never experienced it. I'm really enjoying advanced higher English this year, but it's still not quite the same as university. So what's it like? Is there anything you didn't expect going in (good or bad)? How did you find exams/essays/etc? Has your experience overall been positive? Did you read a wide and interesting range of books? What were the best bits? And the worst? Just tell me whatever you can haha
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and gets back to you

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Sorry I can’t help with what the course is like but just thought I’d reply cause I’ve applied for that course this year too however I’m still waiting to hear back 😕

ReputationRep:
    I study English!
    As a non-UK student I can't compare the experience in uni to the one you might have had in high school, but overall I'm happy with my choice.
    The ups include the amount of workload: you only have to write two essays per semester, there are no tests etc. There are also no exams (for the first two years, at least).
    The lecturers, especially the main one lecturing during the second semester, are fantastic at what they do when it comes to explaining the texts, the contexts, and overall attracting the students' attention.
    When it comes to the books, you can look up the reading lists (they are published online). We discuss one book per week, which is a great pace considering the books are not long and relatively easy - the first semester seemed a bit boring to some, but not to me, and the second semester was beyond interesting, as the books are controversial and the way the lecturers present some topics is insane. In a good way!
    In general, the entire English department is very helpful when it comes to anything at all, and I have not heard many complaints about the course itself.
    If you have any more specific questions (even if you think of them as odd - I had quite a few but didn't have anyone who could respond to them) - message me and I'll do my best answering!

ReputationRep:
    I am just about to finish my degree in English in June and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed most of my courses a lot. The first year courses were sometimes a little dull imo but once you get past that, second year gets more interesting. In third year and fourth year you can choose your courses from quite a range of different areas of study, and the courses I did do were extremely enjoyable. Studying English lit at university will always be different to what you do in school because you are being taught by people who have made the topics they teach their passion and dedicated a big part of their life to it. This is something I always appreciate a lot and you definitely have that a lot at Aberdeen as well.
    Most people I have spoken to have had a nice experience as well. There are obviously some who have not enjoyed it as much but there are always going to be some that people who don't.
    I'm happy to answer any other questions as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 24, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.