Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mental health UK watch

Announcements

18, no GCSE passes, I have mostly Us, nothing at C or above, no A levels, no degree, my only qualifications are functional skills entry level 3 English and maths, I am in college now though, working towards level 1 functional skills English and maths.

I am anemic, I have severe anxiety and depression and have done since I was 14.

I want to work with animals, but I'm worried I never will and will end up in a badly paid crappy job going no where in life. That's how I've been made to feel anyway, people don't think much of me or expect me to succeed because I've not achieved anything in my 18 years of living.

My sibling has always been happy, they are an overachiever, top GCSEs, top A levels, masters degree, good paid job doing what they want to be doing, popular, likeable, confident, intelligent, travelled, in a relationship and has loads of friends.
    I'm the complete opposite and not even capable of passing GCSEs, with their degree they're likely to always be on good pay, I'm likely to always be on minimum wage, that's if I even get a job. I have volunteered in animal places, worked for 2 months in a shop as a Christmas temp and now do cat sitting but that's all I have. I can't drive, I'm scared I'll never be able to afford a car, I have rich family members who are good looking, I have the ugly and poor side/genes. I just want to die, I'm a complete failure and always will be.

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    18, no GCSE passes, I have mostly Us, nothing at C or above, no A levels, no degree, my only qualifications are functional skills entry level 3 English and maths, I am in college now though, working towards level 1 functional skills English and maths.

I am anemic, I have severe anxiety and depression and have done since I was 14.

I want to work with animals, but I'm worried I never will and will end up in a badly paid crappy job going no where in life. That's how I've been made to feel anyway, people don't think much of me or expect me to succeed because I've not achieved anything in my 18 years of living.

My sibling has always been happy, they are an overachiever, top GCSEs, top A levels, masters degree, good paid job doing what they want to be doing, popular, likeable, confident, intelligent, travelled, in a relationship and has loads of friends.
    I'm the complete opposite and not even capable of passing GCSEs, with their degree they're likely to always be on good pay, I'm likely to always be on minimum wage, that's if I even get a job. I have volunteered in animal places, worked for 2 months in a shop as a Christmas temp and now do cat sitting but that's all I have. I can't drive, I'm scared I'll never be able to afford a car, I have rich family members who are good looking, I have the ugly and poor side/genes. I just want to die, I'm a complete failure and always will be.

What do I do?
    Hi, I'm really sorry to hear that you feel bad about yourself. It is never too late to turn things around honestly. It sounds very cliche but your mindset towards life has an influence on how your life turns out. It's really good that you're at college, that's a really good start. And you know that you'd like to work with animals. At lot of people have no idea what they want to do, but it's great you have that as a goal. Try not to be too hard on yourself. The fact that you've posted asking for advice about this shows that you care about making something of yourself, and that's amazing. Stop thinking about your past and focus on the present and future. Do what you can to get to where you want to be, and it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there. Also, i believe that anyone is capable of achieving anything they want as long as they have the passion and the motivation. Try your best to get to where you want to be, you have nothing to lose.

Keep going with college, and try your hardest with that. Apply for some part time jobs to perhaps do alongside college. You've already worked in a shop before, and it's great you have that as experience. Honestly, experience is mostly what employers look for. Indeed.co.uk is a great website to look for part time jobs. Write down some long-term goals for the future. It's been proven that writing down your goals actually means you are more likely to achieve them. Don't think that the goals are out of reach, just simply do what you can in small steps to reach them.

The way you feel about yourself and your life is largely down to your mindset. For example, you could have two people that find a £5 note in the street. One person could feel lucky and blessed that they have the £5 because it's better than nothing. The other person could have a negative mindset and not appreciate it because they are focusing on what they don't have - they are wishing it was £10 instead. It's ok to be unhappy with where you are in your life, because i think everyone has a stage like that in their life (i know i have.) The important thing is how you persevere and work to where you want to be.

Also, you say that you've suffered from anxiety/depression. Have you had therapy before to help you deal with this? There is a free therapy on the NHS called CBT Therapy, which helps you to change your thoughts and beliefs. I think this would be extremely helpful for you. You can go to a GP and ask to be referred. There is a long waiting list of several months, so if you don't want to wait you could pay privately for some instead. I highly recommend getting put on a waiting list for CBT therapy, or counselling instead possibly, because it can help you to view things in a different way, and feel more confident.

I hope this has helped!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.