Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for law at uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently a lower sixth student and am studying maths, further maths, economics and physics. I am also doing an EPQ on whether we should replace the NHS. I am thinking about possibly applying for law at Uni. However I am unsure whether I would have much of a chance due to my a level choices. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by canaletto11)
    Hi,

I am currently a lower sixth student and am studying maths, further maths, economics and physics. I am also doing an EPQ on whether we should replace the NHS. I am thinking about possibly applying for law at Uni. However I am unsure whether I would have much of a chance due to my a level choices. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Hi there!

Generally speaking, the exact A-Levels you choose should not impact on your ability to apply for an LLB in Law. If you take a look at UEA's LLB Law programme for example, you'll see that we ask for AAA at A level, and make no specification for which subjects those grades are in.

Some universities may also want you to take the Law National Aptitude Test (LNAT), which you can read more about here. This is not a test of your preexisting knowledge of law - it is a way of testing other skills and abilities which are relevant to a degree or career in law, such as verbal reasoning and deductive reasoning abilities, and more.

If you have more questions just let me know!

Fred - UEA PG Rep

ReputationRep:
    Courses won’t generally matter unless it is specified. The issue will be proving why you want to do law when you’ve chosen so many courses directed at maths and science.

Not a bad thing, but you’ll have to bulk up work experience etc to show you’re interested.

What makes you want to do law?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep)
    Generally speaking, the exact A-Levels you choose should not impact on your ability to apply for an LLB in Law. If you take a look at UEA's LLB Law programme for example, you'll see that we ask for AAA at A level, and make no specification for which subjects those grades are in.
    I have to say the claim that UEA takes AAA is horribly misleading. Anyone who reads this thread, last year they had a near-100% offer rate for ABB+. Achieved grades on enrolment: 23% had AAB, 32% had ABB, 32% had BBB. Only 12.6% had AAA+.

Universities are playing this game of lying about their entry requirements, and pretending they are much higher than they actually are, in order to seem like they compete with the top courses. They don't; it's a lie and it shouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    I have to say the claim that UEA takes AAA is horribly misleading. Anyone who reads this thread, last year they had a near-100% offer rate for ABB+. Achieved grades on enrolment: 23% had AAB, 32% had ABB, 32% had BBB. Only 12.6% had AAA+.

Universities are playing this game of lying about their entry requirements, and pretending they are much higher than they actually are, in order to seem like they compete with the top courses. They don't; it's a lie and it shouldn't be allowed.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cxr14)
    Source?
    Here. That should work.

ReputationRep:

Surprised they replied to you when the numbers expose the AAA offer for the lie it is. The marketing people need to start controlling the paper pushers more.

I know a guy who was conflicted between Bristol and UEA a couple of years ago. "Surely if they ask for the same grades they're similar in terms of quality, right?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Surprised they replied to you when the numbers expose the AAA offer for the lie it is. The marketing people need to start controlling the paper pushers more.

I know a guy who was conflicted between Bristol and UEA a couple of years ago. "Surely if they ask for the same grades they're similar in terms of quality, right?"
    That's why it annoys me so much. There are many applicants, especially on here, who think stated offer reflects actual entry requirements or quality. You really have to give it to places like Liverpool who know they're a BBB-ABB course and openly admit it. Exeter is another one; it could go the QMUL route but rather admits that a lot of its students are AAB-AAA.

Notts has recently admitted that it's more AAA. I would not be surprised if Bristol's increasing its offer to A*AA is to compensate for the outright lies told by universities such as UEA. I do respect UEA for responding to the FOI, but how many people are going to check online for FOIs.

ReputationRep:
    That's why it annoys me so much. There are many applicants, especially on here, who think stated offer reflects actual entry requirements or quality. You really have to give it to places like Liverpool who know they're a BBB-ABB course and openly admit it. Exeter is another one; it could go the QMUL route but rather admits that a lot of its students are AAB-AAA.

Notts has recently admitted that it's more AAA. I would not be surprised if Bristol's increasing its offer to A*AA is to compensate for the outright lies told by universities such as UEA. I do respect UEA for responding to the FOI, but how many people are going to check online for FOIs.
    I suspect that Bristol's increase was an attempt to bring itself up to being a Durham-tier university, probably in line with its rise in the league tables and generally solid performance in the grad employment/university representation metrics. I think that it was a colossal mistake, but oh well.

Edit: These revelations resonate with me in particular because I remember Notts and QMUL's A*AA offers surprising me when I was younger. When Notts started lowering its offer a few years ago (I know quite a few people with AAB even though they were not eligible for the contextual offer), my suspicions came true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    I suspect that Bristol's increase was an attempt to bring itself up to being a Durham-tier university, probably in line with its rise in the league tables and generally solid performance in the grad employment/university representation metrics. I think that it was a colossal mistake, but oh well.

Edit: These revelations resonate with me in particular because I remember Notts and QMUL's A*AA offers surprising me when I was younger. When Notts started lowering its offer a few years ago (I know quite a few people with AAB even though they were not eligible for the contextual offer), my suspicions came true.
    Aye, there's a poster on here you give career advice to who fits with that. I only recently found out how flaky Notts is.

And ditto. I had an A*AA offer from QMUL which I almost took! My God, the angels must have been watching out for me or I think I would have blown my brains out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep)
    Hi there!

Some universities may also want you to take the Law National Aptitude Test (LNAT), which you can read more about here. This is not a test of your preexisting knowledge of law - it is a way of testing other skills and abilities which are relevant to a degree or career in law, such as verbal reasoning and deductive reasoning abilities, and more.

If you have more questions just let me know!

Fred - UEA PG Rep
    Thanks for your advice, I will definitely give the UEA course a look

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.