Both have 8gb ram
    And im doing the uni exams online on the laptop
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tagging AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Laptops, netbooks and tablets

ReputationRep:
    Do you value speed or storage more?

But I would get the second one as if you aren't doing lots of gaming and stuff like that on it - you don't really need the i7 processor.

If you are using it to store lots of documents etc, the extra storage will be handy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pisces42)
    I am hetting the hp pavillion
    One is i7 256 gb £700

The other one is i5 512 gb £750

Both have 8gb ram
    And im doing the uni exams online on the laptop
    Cannot underestimate the value of having a good processor in a laptop. In the long term, you will most likely reach a point where the CPU is sort of crapping out, and the i7 will likely give you the slight edge.
    I'm presuming the storage is SSD (and 8GB RAM), which will likely never feel slow. If you can manage your storage appropriately and move useless stuff off your disk you will be better off with the i7 model. Unless you download big games, movies, or a LOT of programs, you should be fine with 256 GB, and would recommend it highly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Despite people recommending the i7, we don't actually have enough information to say. What model HP Pavilion and what is this other laptop?

The i7 is not immediately the better choice, purely because it is an i7. We don't actually know which models of i5 / i7 are in these laptops. If the i7 was an older gen 7 chip and the i5 were a gen 8 chip then odds are the i5 is the better option, purely because Intel introduced quad core mobile chips in the consumer range with gen 8.

But that said, both laptops look exceedingly expensive for what you are getting. I'm aware of i5, 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM laptops for under £500, the larger SSD here doesn't justify bumping that up by 50%.

So in short, it depends. We don't have the appropriate information to say. Neither of these laptops is better than the other based on what we know, they do slightly different things. But knowing the exact specs (and other useful things like screen size and resolution) would allow us to make a more informed judgment.

ReputationRep:
    Get the one with i7, the processor power is more superior to the amount of storage you have. I don't know who stores much on their laptop anymore. I would only recommend a larger storage option if you download large files like games.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.