Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 13 and have 5 offers from uni for a humanities degree, however I feel like a creative apprenticeship would be something I enjoy more, I'm planning on applying to production degrees at companies like the BBC and Viacom, but was wondering if doing an apprenticeship is as good as a degree in the creative field.
    I know the experience I would gain is valuable, but in a few years if I went for a job against someone with a degree and less experience, would I be seen negatively for not having studied?
    • TSR Community Team
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hello, I'm just going to tag in Apprenticeships Advice and West Kent and Ashford College as they should be able to help you with this
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    There are, as with most qualifications, different levels of apprenticeships, including those that are the equivalent to degrees. The value of an apprenticeship though is, as you mention, the experience and on-the-job training that you get with the employer alongside the qualification. Often the quality of that employer is also key to what makes you stand out.

    However, creative apprenticeships are very competitive. The Creative Skillset (https://creativeskillset.org/apprenticeships/) website does have lots of information on these should it be something you want to research further.
    •  Official Rep
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by thirteenreasons)
    I'm currently in year 13 and have 5 offers from uni for a humanities degree, however I feel like a creative apprenticeship would be something I enjoy more, I'm planning on applying to production degrees at companies like the BBC and Viacom, but was wondering if doing an apprenticeship is as good as a degree in the creative field.
    I know the experience I would gain is valuable, but in a few years if I went for a job against someone with a degree and less experience, would I be seen negatively for not having studied?
    Hi there,

    First of all, congratulations on receiving 5 university offers! Just like university, apprenticeships are very competitive, many assume they are easier to apply for however there can be thousands of applicants for just a handful of vacancies. There are different levels of apprenticeships, from level 2 right up to level 7 and some equivalent to university degrees. Here is a link on more about apprenticeship levels:
    https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide

    Degree apprenticeships are relatively new, 20% of your time will be spent studying at university and the other 80% in your work place. So it's kind of like going to university, only you get paid for it! Here are a few links to help you learn more about degree apprenticeships:
    https://www.ucas.com/degree-apprenticeships
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...pprenticeships

    Good news is that apprenticeships are becoming more recognised as a posive pathway to a successful career. As you've mentioned the experience gained during an apprenticeship is valuable! Employers value experience and as you will have the equivalent qualification to those coming out of university, it's a level playing field!

    If you have any more questions or want more links, we will be happy to help!

    Good luck!
 
 
 
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.