Turn on thread page Beta

Japanese music watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone her listen to Japanese music? If so what is it? Looking to expand my music tastes but I find everything to come out of Japan very appealing.

ReputationRep:
    What more specifically are you interested in: Traditional Japanese culture (stuff like geisha, woodblock prints, kimono, samurai, sumo, origami, shamisen music, Noh & Kabuki theater, Shintoism, laquerware etc), or modern Japanese culture (anime, manga, shinkansen, Japanese pop, rock & hip hop music, kawaii culture, cosplay, meccha, maid cafe's, idol culture, bento, TV drama's etc)?

Though you may be interested in both, we're talking about a whole countries music culture here (which is incredibly diverse) and so knowing what you're into to some extent will help narrow things down a bit. What Japanese music groups have you already been exposed to (and what are your other tastes in music)?

For example, Wagakki Band (https://www.generasia.com/wiki/Wagakki_Band ) are an alternative Japanese rock group who often like to mash up traditional Japanese styles (fashions, singing, instruments etc) in a way that is very modern (resulting in an interesting hybrid old-meets-new, East-meets-West kind of style):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feastful)
    What more specifically are you interested in: Traditional Japanese culture (stuff like geisha, woodblock prints, kimono, samurai, sumo, origami, shamisen music, Noh & Kabuki theater, Shintoism, laquerware etc), or modern Japanese culture (anime, manga, shinkansen, Japanese pop, rock & hip hop music, kawaii culture, cosplay, meccha, maid cafe's, idol culture, bento, TV drama's etc)?

Though you may be interested in both, we're talking about a whole countries music culture here (which is incredibly diverse) and so knowing what you're into to some extent will help narrow things down a bit. What Japanese music groups have you already been exposed to (and what are your other tastes in music)?

For example, Wagakki Band (https://www.generasia.com/wiki/Wagakki_Band ) are an alternative Japanese rock group who often like to mash up traditional Japanese styles (fashions, singing, instruments etc) in a way that is very modern (resulting in an interesting hybrid old-meets-new, East-meets-West kind of style):
    Well I mainly listen to One ok rock, man with a mission, kana boon and Babymetal. I even saw Babymetal live 2 years ago. I'll have to check these guys out thanks for suggestion.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No idea about Japanese sounding music or traditional music but I came in to mention Mentaphorical Music by Nujabes. He is Japanese and that was a landmark instrumental Hip-Hop album.

ReputationRep:
    i only know about babymetal, they’re 3 girls who have heavy metal-kawaii music, sounds really weird but it’s actually really cool haha

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you can find hidden gems in openings of anime, games and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucke1992)
    Sometimes you can find hidden gems in openings of anime, games and so on.
    You're not wrong there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowKek)
    You're not wrong there
    Today I realized that the songs I've been listening for a long time - Kuusou Mesorigiwi (intro of Mirai Nikki) and Kokou no Sousei (OSU game) are both played by Yousei Teikoku band lol I've been known these songs for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    I was hugely into Japanese pop for maaaaany years. I loved Ayumi Hamasaki, Namie Amuro, Kumi Koda, Arashi, KAT-TUN, NEWS, Hey! Say! JUMP, Kis-My-Ft2, Yu Shirota, Morning Musume, Kanjani8, Jin Akanishi, Tomohisa Yamashita, Kana Nishino, and Milky Bunny just to name a few.

For rap it's got to be Zeebra, Funky Monkey Babies, and Home Made Kazuku.

I wasn't into a huge amount of rock but loved: An Cafe, Gackt, LANDS*, Miyavi, End of the World/Sekai no Owari, and T.M Revolution.

(okay they weren't a real band but they put out one album, Olympus, and it's one of my favourite records of all time)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ShadowKek)
    Anyone her listen to Japanese music? If so what is it? Looking to expand my music tastes but I find everything to come out of Japan very appealing.
    Yes, I do. It is always music I know from animes. If I like them, I listen to for hours!

ReputationRep:
    I came in to mention Mentaphorical Music by Nujabes.
    I meant METAPHORICAL, not Mentaphorical.

Sorry.

But get the album it's immense, just ask the Hip-Hop guys.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.