Turn on thread page Beta

is the NHS free at university? like the dentist? watch

ReputationRep:
    the title is self explanatory. just curious because uni is expensive already
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're 18 and in full time education, I believe it is free. But when you turn 19 then you have to pay, even if you're still in full-time education. I hope that's right, because that's what I've been doing. I know you have to pay for prescriptions and eye tests etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddsddfsdfsd)
    the title is self explanatory. just curious because uni is expensive already
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    If you're 18 and in full time education, I believe it is free. But when you turn 19 then you have to pay, even if you're still in full-time education. I hope that's right, because that's what I've been doing. I know you have to pay for prescriptions and eye tests etc.
    If you study in the UK, you can use a HC1 form (you can pick these up at most NHS health centres/dental surgeries/clinics) to apply for a HC2 or HC3 certificate. This is a means-tested application and can only be done once you arrive at university (as your current circumstances right now are the only things taken into account - you can't apply in advance).

A HC2 certificate allows you to get full help with dental care (as long as it's not cosmetic) as well as prescriptions/eye tests/glasses etc. A HC3 certificate means you get partial help with dental care, so if your treatment costs £100 and your certificate says you need to pay for treatments up to £50, you would pay that £50 and the rest would be topped up for you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Stuff like going to a GP/A&E/sexual health clinic is of course free yes.

ReputationRep:
    Appointments at the doctors are free at the point of use, although once you turn 19, you are required to pay for prescriptions, regardless of your educational status.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Appointments at the doctors are free at the point of use, although once you turn 19, you are required to pay for prescriptions, regardless of your educational status.
    Unless you're in Scotland where you get free prescriptions :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Unless you're in Scotland where you get free prescriptions :woo:
    Same goes for Wales. :thumbsup:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.