Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so, i will most likely be joining IB this September. I am Currently Studying In Grade 10 CBSE. I have my second language as French. I don't really like the language at all. I am so poor in French that i need to use Google Translate For Each And Every Word. I am Bad At Grammar Too. I don't Understand Any Of The Grammar Topics. The School Which I'll Be Joining Doesn't Really Have Any Other Languages For AB initio. The School Has French B,Spanish B and French AB as The Foreign Languages. I don't Know what to take. I Really Want To Take spanish B but since i've no experience in it i can't really consider it. So My Options remain as French B or French AB. And Also Do you think they will let me take French AB since i have some background to French?

ReputationRep:
    AB if you don't like it. B is much harder.
    But if you already have experience, it might be unlikely that you'll be able to take it - so you'll be stuck in B.....

Is there no Spanish AB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokola9000)
    AB if you don't like it. B is much harder.
    But if you already have experience, it might be unlikely that you'll be able to take it - so you'll be stuck in B.....

Is there no Spanish AB?
    NOPE no spanish AB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satwik)
    so, i will most likely be joining IB this September. I am Currently Studying In Grade 10 CBSE. I have my second language as French. I don't really like the language at all. I am so poor in French that i need to use Google Translate For Each And Every Word. I am Bad At Grammar Too. I don't Understand Any Of The Grammar Topics. The School Which I'll Be Joining Doesn't Really Have Any Other Languages For AB initio. The School Has French B,Spanish B and French AB as The Foreign Languages. I don't Know what to take. I Really Want To Take spanish B but since i've no experience in it i can't really consider it. So My Options remain as French B or French AB. And Also Do you think they will let me take French AB since i have some background to French?
    I don't think IB rules would permit you to take ab initio in a language you already have studied, but it's worth asking about. How long have you studied French? Think the IB rule is 3 years but not sure.

TBH, French B is not that bad. It's no easy seven, but it's still by far my easiest subject. So if you have no other option, it's not ideal but you'll be fine. It is a bit boring though, have to admit that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satwik)
    NOPE no spanish AB.
    Can you take a self-study language subject? It can be any other language that you speak (not English), or something new....

Or, well, this is a bad choice but if you could pretend to like REAAALLLY suck at french, like, fail the course - and convince your teacher to recommend you into French AB....would that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokola9000)
    Can you take a self-study language subject? It can be any other language that you speak (not English), or something new....

Or, well, this is a bad choice but if you could pretend to like REAAALLLY suck at french, like, fail the course - and convince your teacher to recommend you into French AB....would that work?
    Isn't self-taught only A languages? And it requires OP to be a native or near-native speaker of a language which is not taught in the school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzrnem)
    Isn't self-taught only A languages? And it requires OP to be a native or near-native speaker of a language which is not taught in the school.
    Yeah. But they can also take it at level B. There are some Koreans who self-study level B Korean in my year only. Who knows maybe OP is bilingual and can SST another language A and get a bilingual diploma, or take up another language B other than French....

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.