GCSE options Watch

Purplemonkeys
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, new here. I'm in Year 9 and I'm quite academically bright in English based subjects. We get a choice out of either triple or double science (I'm going with double) and three other options. So far I've chosen history and French. What should I pick: geography or drama? I want to be a teacher when I'm older if this helps.
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
Hi, new here. I'm in Year 9 and I'm quite academically bright in English based subjects. We get a choice out of either triple or double science (I'm going with double) and three other options. So far I've chosen history and French. What should I pick: geography or drama? I want to be a teacher when I'm older if this helps.
Which of the two subjects do u prefer?

Either will do at GCSE unless u want to become a geography or drama teacher
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ameliathomasxox
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’d 100% pick drama, When I was picking GCSEs we got told to pick History OR Geography because the subjects are very alike and have the same criteria.
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaanv)
Which of the two subjects do u prefer?

Either will do at GCSE unless u want to become a geography or drama teacher
Thanks for the reply, thinking of being a primary school teacher. Did enjoy geography but our new teacher (covering for maternity leave) and the subject of cliffs have made it quite boring, and I've heard history, geography and French are difficult regarding the workload when combined. I enjoy drama and am okay at it.
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ameliathomasxox)
I’d 100% pick drama, When I was picking GCSEs we got told to pick History OR Geography because the subjects are very alike and have the same criteria.
Thanks, more academic but okay at drama and it would be a good break, plus good for teaching skills but would any universities mind?
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
Thanks, more academic but okay at drama and it would be a good break, plus good for teaching skills but would any universities mind?
I don't really know which I prefer currently as we are doing physical geography but I prefer and am much better at human geography, but they both make up 35% of the GCSE each, with skills being 30%.
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
I don't really know which I prefer currently as we are doing physical geography but I prefer and am much better at human geography, but they both make up 35% of the GCSE each, with skills being 30%.
sorry don't know how to work tsr still, very new to it!
username3791392
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If it’s to go by anything, I hated geography before GCSE so year 7/8 but chose it anyway for GCSE loved it and went to do A-level in it too. It’s a very interesting subject
HettiBetti
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Geography, Religious Studies and Food Preparation and Nutrition (not necessary but you should)!!!
nandola23
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In my opinion if i were you i would pick drama as that helps more to you for being a teacher

HettiBetti
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What type of teacher????????????????????????? ?????
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
(Original post by HettiBetti)
Geography, Religious Studies and Food Preparation and Nutrition (not necessary but you should)!!!
RE is compulsory at my school as it is a Catholic school, not sure about food prep and nutrition as:
A) they only take on 15 people
B) I'm not passionate about
C) I have a condition called dyspraxia which affects many things, some of these being timimg and coordination, so if find it difficult and get help in the lessons anyway, but thankyou very much for the advice, I see what you mean as it is very useful and relevant to the real world.
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
(Original post by nandola23)
In my opinion if i were you i would pick drama as that helps more to you for being a teacher
Thanks, already volunteer to read out in school on front of up to 200 people as my school is Catholicso it is chaplimacybwork which has built my confidence and public speaking skills, but not to the extent that I'd need for a career in teaching, so drama would benefit me but geography is interesting too and fairly relevant to the real world and daily life.
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
Thanks, already volunteer to read out in school on front of up to 200 people as my school is Catholicso it is chaplimacybwork which has built my confidence and public speaking skills, but not to the extent that I'd need for a career in teaching, so drama would benefit me but geography is interesting too and fairly relevant to the real world and daily life.
However, it's difficult picking between the two. Will I need variety for college and universities (a humanity, a language and an arts subject) or go down the traditional route (both humanities and a language)?
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
RE is compulsory at my school as it is a Catholic school, not sure about food prep and nutrition as:
A) they only take on 15 people
B) I'm not passionate about
C) I have a condition called dyspraxia which affects many things, some of these being timimg and coordination, so if find it difficult and get help in the lessons anyway, but thankyou very much for the advice, I see what you mean as it is very useful and relevant to the real world.
In food you don't do as much cooking as you do in year 7/8. It is much more theory based (even in year 9)

I'm in year 9 too and am going to choose french, computer science, triple science and design technology

When I'm older I want to do something in computer science or electrical engineering.
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonman7)
If it’s to go by anything, I hated geography before GCSE so year 7/8 but chose it anyway for GCSE loved it and went to do A-level in it too. It’s a very interesting subject
What's geography GCSE like?
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill Nye)
In food you don't do as much cooking as you do in year 7/8. It is much more theory based (even in year 9)

I'm in year 9 too and am going to choose french, computer science, triple science and design technology

When I'm older I want to do something in computer science or electrical engineering.
Wow that seems great, you sound really scientific. I'm definitely more of a humanities person!😁
gemmafieldx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think Drama because it’ll be a nice practical lesson instead of all written lesson
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Wow that seems great, you sound really scientific. I'm definitely more of a humanities person!😁
I don't mind History - in fact I do quite well in it compared to my other subjects

I am rubbish at English and find humanities boring though.

But then again I'm weird and like maths lmao
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
(Original post by HettiBetti)
What type of teacher????????????????????????? ?????
Reception/ infants teacher as I'm passionate about working with young kids and don't mind hard work and a bit of pressure, and would love to teach the new generation to come about the world around them, but it's a shame about the way many teachers are resigning and how the system currently is.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (701)
90.92%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (70)
9.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed