Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When to get help for depression? watch

Announcements

I’m asking this because I’m not sure at what stage it’s acceotable to go for help at the doctors about depression.

I lead a healthy lifestyle: I’m a rower so I go to the gym 5 days a week and row twice a week, I eat very well (I’m vegetarian and I’m studying nutrition at uni) and I don’t tend to drink because I don’t like how it makes me feel and how I lose out on sleep.

Since Christmas I’ve had a really tough time falling asleep, even though I’m tired by around 8pm when I used to feel tired at 11! I just lie awake for ages. It’s never been a problem for me before :/ I’m also so tired in the day, even when I’ve had a good 8 hours of sleep. It’s got the the point where I have to take extra rest days off my exercise.

I started uni in September and was terribly unhappy, so I moved out my flat into a studio and was happier. During the January exams I became really stressed and down, to the point where I became hysterical one day and had to go home (6 hour train journey). I have good days and bad days, but I’m in such a low mood these days. I don’t even want to see my friends or go out the studio to exercise and I used to love this!! When I do see my friends, I leave early and stress the whole time.

Today I came back to my flat and cried for a solid hour. It’s ridiculous. I want to see a doctor and ask them about the possibilities of sleep problems and depression. My mum had severe depression when she was younger. But I’m worried the doctor will think I’m annoying because my mood isn’t one of self harm or anything, and I dont want him to think I’m just looking for attention.

Would I be okay to phone up for a doctors appointment tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    you shouldn't need to prove that you need medical assistance by doing any self harm to yourself. depression can progressively get worse, if you think you need help don't hesitate to contact a doctor and book an appointment. they could help you get cbt or other some other treatment. i would suggest to do his asap as the wait is usually long for these services. which is a shame in itself.i hope you find a way to get out of feeling like this.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m asking this because I’m not sure at what stage it’s acceotable to go for help at the doctors about depression.

I lead a healthy lifestyle: I’m a rower so I go to the gym 5 days a week and row twice a week, I eat very well (I’m vegetarian and I’m studying nutrition at uni) and I don’t tend to drink because I don’t like how it makes me feel and how I lose out on sleep.

Since Christmas I’ve had a really tough time falling asleep, even though I’m tired by around 8pm when I used to feel tired at 11! I just lie awake for ages. It’s never been a problem for me before :/ I’m also so tired in the day, even when I’ve had a good 8 hours of sleep. It’s got the the point where I have to take extra rest days off my exercise.

I started uni in September and was terribly unhappy, so I moved out my flat into a studio and was happier. During the January exams I became really stressed and down, to the point where I became hysterical one day and had to go home (6 hour train journey). I have good days and bad days, but I’m in such a low mood these days. I don’t even want to see my friends or go out the studio to exercise and I used to love this!! When I do see my friends, I leave early and stress the whole time.

Today I came back to my flat and cried for a solid hour. It’s ridiculous. I want to see a doctor and ask them about the possibilities of sleep problems and depression. My mum had severe depression when she was younger. But I’m worried the doctor will think I’m annoying because my mood isn’t one of self harm or anything, and I dont want him to think I’m just looking for attention.

Would I be okay to phone up for a doctors appointment tomorrow?
    When to get help? Whenever you feel like you could do with some.

If you feel like you are struggling or like things are going on that you can't manage alone it's totally acceptable to see your GP.
    I would make a doctors appointment. It might also help to write down what you want to discuss and to see if you can book a double appointment so you have some extra time to talk.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.