The Student Room Group

How much does a biology degree at uni involve animal testing?

I am doing my first year of alevels and hoping to do a Biological sciences degree at university. My teacher mentioned today that biology often involves testing and experimenting on animals. I understand why it is a necessity, however personally I really do not want to take a university course where it is compulsory to perform experiments on animals. I get that there are lost of different areas of biology but am not yet 100% sure what I want to go into. Has anyone doing/done a biology degree at university in the UK had experience with this ? As in how much testing on animals is performed, if any ? Is it compulsory ? Where do you study ? Thank you so so much. :smile:
When you say test on animals, are you meaning ones where the animals would come to harm? At my university, there were a couple of modules that involved observing animals like crabs and locusts but they were perfectly safe! You wouldn't be forced to do anything you felt uncomfortable with :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
yeah I meant where they come to any harm. thank you :smile:
Original post by CalypsoxO
I am doing my first year of alevels and hoping to do a Biological sciences degree at university. My teacher mentioned today that biology often involves testing and experimenting on animals. I understand why it is a necessity, however personally I really do not want to take a university course where it is compulsory to perform experiments on animals. I get that there are lost of different areas of biology but am not yet 100% sure what I want to go into. Has anyone doing/done a biology degree at university in the UK had experience with this ? As in how much testing on animals is performed, if any ? Is it compulsory ? Where do you study ? Thank you so so much. :smile:

I remember hearing the NatSci tripos involves using anaesthetic on fruit flies; it may happen on other courses too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending