Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am doing my first year of alevels and hoping to do a Biological sciences degree at university. My teacher mentioned today that biology often involves testing and experimenting on animals. I understand why it is a necessity, however personally I really do not want to take a university course where it is compulsory to perform experiments on animals. I get that there are lost of different areas of biology but am not yet 100% sure what I want to go into. Has anyone doing/done a biology degree at university in the UK had experience with this ? As in how much testing on animals is performed, if any ? Is it compulsory ? Where do you study ? Thank you so so much.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    When you say test on animals, are you meaning ones where the animals would come to harm? At my university, there were a couple of modules that involved observing animals like crabs and locusts but they were perfectly safe! You wouldn't be forced to do anything you felt uncomfortable with
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    yeah I meant where they come to any harm. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalypsoxO)
    I am doing my first year of alevels and hoping to do a Biological sciences degree at university. My teacher mentioned today that biology often involves testing and experimenting on animals. I understand why it is a necessity, however personally I really do not want to take a university course where it is compulsory to perform experiments on animals. I get that there are lost of different areas of biology but am not yet 100% sure what I want to go into. Has anyone doing/done a biology degree at university in the UK had experience with this ? As in how much testing on animals is performed, if any ? Is it compulsory ? Where do you study ? Thank you so so much.
    I remember hearing the NatSci tripos involves using anaesthetic on fruit flies; it may happen on other courses too.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.