Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What was your FIRST EVER bench? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Posted on several forums now, very curious, read the below.

So people, I'm just interested here about what your first lifts were. What did you start off being able to lift? I'm 16, around 175cm and 156lbs. On my first EVER trip to the gym, I managed to bench 60-65kg for 12 reps with solid form (father was there and he's been training for 10 years so I know it was good) but I was honestly still finding this weight really easy, for real. I'm simply interested on if this is a normal weight to start benching, first day in the gym, and what kind of weights you guys were able to hit right when you began? I'm gonna start training in the gym properly when I get time but focusing on studies right now so train at home! Please let me know your thoughts, just a general curiosity of mine!

ReputationRep:
    Do 4 sets of 8 reps and see if it's still easy. If it is add weight. Your starting point doesn't matter it's your end goal that counts
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    First bench? I think it was a toadstool themed one at my nursery. I don't think my feet reached the floor. Got bigger and stronger since then.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Just the frickin bar. So 20kg lul. My all time 1 rep max is 160kg. Been done in only 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Something like this:

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    60 for 12 reps in a single set?

Unlikely/10
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    40kg for a few reps. Think I got up to 70kg and my pecs were crap, so I decided to ditch it and stick with dumbbells. Got back into barbell benching again at end of last year, 100kg went up easily. Pressing 140kg for reps now.

ReputationRep:
    not sure if srs.

Did 40kg for 10 reps.

feelsbadman

ReputationRep:
    First time I ever stepped in a gym? 20kg dumbbells for 7-8 reps if I recall correctly.

At about 50kg dumbbells for 7-8 reps now after 5 years on/off training. Though could do the 40kg dumbbells for as many reps after probably a year and a half (yes progress slows down )

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.