Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, So this might seem like a stupid question, but I applied for a music course at Edinburgh and got accepted to the Edinburgh College of Arts, so if I chose to go there, would I say I was going to Edinburgh College of Arts or Edinburgh University? I just don't know if The College of Arts is a part of the overall University or an independent University?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AnnaCarfood)
    Hey, So this might seem like a stupid question, but I applied for a music course at Edinburgh and got accepted to the Edinburgh College of Arts, so if I chose to go there, would I say I was going to Edinburgh College of Arts or Edinburgh University? I just don't know if The College of Arts is a part of the overall University or an independent University?
    Your degree certificate would say Edinburgh, your student id would say Edinburgh.

ECA is a department of Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PQ is correct.

The ECA and Edinburgh Uni merged in 2011 :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Did you apply for BMus or MA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewrongofsummer)
    Did you apply for BMus or MA?
    MA but I don't really understand the difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    PQ is correct.

The ECA and Edinburgh Uni merged in 2011 :borat:
    Thank you! So upon graduating I'll be a graduate of Edinburgh University (depending on me making the grades, hoprefully)?? (sorry to drag out the question I just want to be 100%)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you! So upon graduating I'll be a graduate of Edinburgh University (depending on me making the grades, hoprefully)?? (sorry to drag out the question I just want to be 100%)
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    MA but I don't really understand the difference?
    Performance is BMus only. For 2018 entry BMus applicants are required to have at least grade 7 in an instruments and therefore also grade 5 theory (Grade 5 in a keyboard instrument is also a requirement). MA students did not need these requirements for entry -- although it would help their application.
    For 2019 entry to BMus and its Performance & Keyboard Skills module you must have Grade 8 in your instrument in addition to prior rules on theory and a keyboard instrument. For 2019 entry if you have not sat Grade 8 theory/ A-level Music/ Advanced Higher Music you are required to take an additional module called 'Fundamentals in Music Theory'.
    BMus students are given bursaries for instrumental tuition.

For 2018 entry applicants:

MA students *have* to take something like 60 credits in outside subjects for the first 2 years and then less credits in outside subjects in 3rd and 4th year. Because of the limited Music modules that can be taken per year, MA students often take some music modules a year after BMus students.

BMus students can take up to 40 credits in outside subjects for their first year (but *they don't have to* -- they can take more music modules instead). In last year's course and the 2018/19 course structure published by Nicki Moran shows that Year 2 is made up of purely compulsory subjects, so you couldn't take outside subjects even if you wanted too.

2017/18 MA Course Structure:
    http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/17-18/dpt/utmahmusic1f.htm

2017/18 BMus Course Structure:
    http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/17-18/dpt/utmusic.htm

2018/19 BMus Course Strucutre:
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...19/utmusic.htm

I'm sorry I can't find a course structure for the 2018/19 academic session for the MA maybe enquire at the open day. For now, the 2017/18 version works as a rough guide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewrongofsummer)
    Performance is BMus only. For 2018 entry BMus applicants are required to have at least grade 7 in an instruments and therefore also grade 5 theory (Grade 5 in a keyboard instrument is also a requirement). MA students did not need these requirements for entry -- although it would help their application.
    For 2019 entry to BMus and its Performance & Keyboard Skills module you must have Grade 8 in your instrument in addition to prior rules on theory and a keyboard instrument. For 2019 entry if you have not sat Grade 8 theory/ A-level Music/ Advanced Higher Music you are required to take an additional module called 'Fundamentals in Music Theory'.
    BMus students are given bursaries for instrumental tuition.

For 2018 entry applicants:

MA students *have* to take something like 60 credits in outside subjects for the first 2 years and then less credits in outside subjects in 3rd and 4th year. Because of the limited Music modules that can be taken per year, MA students often take some music modules a year after BMus students.

BMus students can take up to 40 credits in outside subjects for their first year (but *they don't have to* -- they can take more music modules instead). In last year's course and the 2018/19 course structure published by Nicki Moran shows that Year 2 is made up of purely compulsory subjects, so you couldn't take outside subjects even if you wanted too.

2017/18 MA Course Structure:
    http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/17-18/dpt/utmahmusic1f.htm

2017/18 BMus Course Structure:
    http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/17-18/dpt/utmusic.htm

2018/19 BMus Course Strucutre:
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...19/utmusic.htm

I'm sorry I can't find a course structure for the 2018/19 academic session for the MA maybe enquire at the open day. For now, the 2017/18 version works as a rough guide.
    Thank you so much! I understand a lot better now. One thing though, in terms of qualification, are the MA and BMus equal? I want to be a teacher after university and I'm wondering if the MA would leave me as qualified?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I understand a lot better now. One thing though, in terms of qualification, are the MA and BMus equal? I want to be a teacher after university and I'm wondering if the MA would leave me as qualified?
    Yeh I don't think either course would matter when you apply for PGCE. I had a quick look over the requirements for PGCE (Secondary) for Music specifically and from the looks of things everything looks fine.

The some other minimum requirements that may or may not be useful to know now are:
    SQA Higher Grade pass at levels A, B, C (or equivalent) in English. 
    SQA National 5 pass at grade B or above Mathematics.
    (If you're not Scottish they have more expansive pre-requisites in the link)

Here's the link if you want to check out the requirements yourself:
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...dary-music.pdf

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.