Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will start my MSc at the University of Glasgow in September and I'm not sure about where to live (westend or close to centre) and how (official on campus student houses or private student houses such as "fresh student living")..

Would be great if anyone could give me some advice and recommendations on that..

Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there,

My name is Lilith and I'm the Senior Customer Service Assistant at Bridge House, which is a Fresh Student Living site which you mentioned in your original post.

Congratulations on your place at Glasgow Uni. This is where I studied and I honestly had the best time of my life.

In terms of where in the city to live, personally I would definitely recommend the West End. It's a beautiful part of the city where you really feel involved in University life and there's loads of great things to do, a fab variety of cafes/pubs/restaurants and even some lovely green space with the Botanic Gardens and Kelvingrove Park.

In terms of campus housing or private student accommodation, there are a few factors to consider here. By campus housing, do you mean university owned accommodation or renting a flat privately through a landlord? I'm happy to go through what I think are some pros and cons of both, as well as private student accommodation.

University owned accommodation means you can guarantee you will be placed with other University of Glasgow students so you'll have something in common right away. This accommodation does tend to be older though and will not have the mod-cons of a lot of private rented accommodation. However, they are tried and tested so you are bound to be able to find lots of reviews from students so you can get a real sense of what it's like to live there. These properties might also be cheaper than a lot of private options, however.

Another thing you could do is privately rent a flat through a landlord. This is what most older students tend to do after first year, as well as a lot of postgraduates like yourself. This gives you a huge choice over location and the type of flat you'd like to live in. You can really make your flat your own and you won't feel like you're living in student accommodation. There's loads of student housing around the UoG because it's such a popular student area and you can rent some beautiful properties if you get the right one.

However, if you are just moving to the city this might be a bit lonely, unless you take on a room in a shared flat which someone else has already rented - which might be an option. These are often cheaper in comparison to private rented accommodation but your bills won't be included so it'll take a bit more planning to work out what you'll be paying in total and also potentially more inconvenient to set up a separate gas, electricity, internet account, etc. Depending on the letting agent you go with the service you receive can be quite hit or miss. The property market in the area can also be expensive and competitive as it's highly sought after.

With regards to private student accommodation, the sector where I work and which Bridge House is an example of, there are also pros and cons. Our building is only a few years old so there are less things to go wrong, and we have staff on site so anything that does happen can be fixed quickly. Our bills include rent and all your utilities so the payment structure is a bit more transparent from the beginning. We also have the option where you can elect to live with other students of your age so you have a little more control over who you live with. It also means you have a sure fire way of meeting people who are in a similar position to yourself, so you have a ready made base there and then. There are loads of options for private accommodation in the West End of Glasgow - you're spoilt for choice.

However, some cons are that obviously student accommodation can't be as personalised as you might like it to be as there are a few more rules and regulations regarding the condition you need to keep your room in. Although increasingly you will find that letting agents implement these too, if not more harshly. Private owned accommodation also accept students of all ages from all universities so not everyone will be a Glasgow Uni student.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your search, and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Best wishes,

Lilith
    Senior Customer Service Assistant - Bridge House

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.