Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I haven't regularly done proper drawings since GCSE art (many moons ago, I'm old :moon: ), so Angry Jellyfish's contest is the perfect opportunity for me to get back into it, seeing as it's something I enjoy! I'm very... rusty, to say the least.

Realistically I won't have time anything more than a coloured sketch (or less) every day, but I want to commit to this, even if I end up just submitting a scribble of a smiley face on some days

Here's day 1. It's me!
    My first attempt at digital art in ages has revealed that my tablet pen is broken :grumble:. Hence the lines you can see where the eraser tool crapped out and I was too lazy to fix it. I've ordered a new pen so hopefully that's a temporary hitch

Name:  doggo doggo doggo.png
Views: 57
Size:  206.1 KB

NB: Not all drawings will be of dogs I swear.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Glad I gave you an excuse to get back into digital art! And that's a great picture to start the thread off with. :love:

(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Angry Jellyfish
    Why the space, though? :moon:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Why the space, though? :moon:
    I spaced out

Ba dum, tss

ReputationRep:
    I haven't regularly done proper drawings since GCSE art (many moons ago, I'm old :moon: ), so Angry Jellyfish's contest is the perfect opportunity for me to get back into it, seeing as it's something I enjoy! I'm very... rusty, to say the least.

Realistically I won't have time anything more than a coloured sketch (or less) every day, but I want to commit to this, even if I end up just submitting a scribble of a smiley face on some days

Here's day 1. It's me!
    My first attempt at digital art in ages has revealed that my tablet pen is broken :grumble:. Hence the lines you can see where the eraser tool crapped out and I was too lazy to fix it. I've ordered a new pen so hopefully that's a temporary hitch

Name:  doggo doggo doggo.png
Views: 57
Size:  206.1 KB

NB: Not all drawings will be of dogs I swear.
    Amazing :love:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Day 2:

Not getting enough free time to draw properly today so have a 3 min MS Paint doodle :3

Name:  spoopy.png
Views: 49
Size:  33.7 KB

Kinda think the eyes ruin it and that I should have made the shadows extend to the paws but meh, I'll learn from it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Day 2:

Not getting enough free time to draw properly today so have a 3 min MS Paint doodle :3

Kinda think the eyes ruin it and that I should have made the shadows extend to the paws but meh, I'll learn from it.
    You did that in Paint in 3 minutes? :zomg: Wow. I like!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    :shock: These are SO GOOD.:woo:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :zomg: they're awesome!!
    i love animal drawings :love:

you drew that in 3 minutes?! :eek3:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Day 2:

10/10 would get this printed on a pillow to give to a relative
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Numero tres :awesome:

Tablet pen has well and truly given up the ghost For anyone who cares, it's not recognising whether the pen nib is actually touching the tablet and it thinks I'm pressing with maximum pressure even when the pen is in the air Basically it's like drawing without being able to take your pen off the paper (hence why yday was so scribbly ) So.... I was forced (shock, horror) to pick up an actual pencil. :O

Doodley doodle of a nail varnish bottle I have on my desk Observational drawings are not normally my thing (I'm all about those cartoons ) but it's probably the most basic of skills to have in art so I should do more. :yep:

Name:  DSC_0383.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  54.3 KB

Overall this turned out better than I was expecting, but still lots of room for improvement

For next time:
    - Pay better attention to shape (e.g. the shape of the varnish doesn't match the shape of the bottom of the bottle
    - Take more time with blending colours. The shadows here are a bit splotchy.
    - Sharpen ya damn pencils or else your edges will be blurry
    - Put down some paper to rest your drawing hand on unless you want a big smudge :lol:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Numero tres :awesome:

Tablet pen has well and truly given up the ghost For anyone who cares, it's not recognising whether the pen nib is actually touching the tablet and it thinks I'm pressing with maximum pressure even when the pen is in the air Basically it's like drawing without being able to take your pen off the paper (hence why yday was so scribbly ) So.... I was forced (shock, horror) to pick up an actual pencil. :O

Doodley doodle of a nail varnish bottle I have on my desk Observational drawings are not normally my thing (I'm all about those cartoons ) but it's probably the most basic of skills to have in art so I should do more. :yep:

Views: 31
Size:  54.3 KB

Overall this turned out better than I was expecting, but still lots of room for improvement

For next time:
    - Pay better attention to shape (e.g. the shape of the varnish doesn't match the shape of the bottom of the bottle
    - Take more time with blending colours. The shadows here are a bit splotchy.
    - Sharpen ya damn pencils or else your edges will be blurry
    - Put down some paper to rest your drawing hand on unless you want a big smudge :lol:
    Sucks to hear about the tablet pen, but nice to see a change of medium! The shading looks great. :coma:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Day 4. Issa dragon :awesome:

Name:  dragon.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  106.5 KB

I don't tend to draw with felt tips a lot but I just got some new ones (to make revision materials with :emo: ) so I thought I'd give them time to shine. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't love the way you can easily get very bold colours with them.

I didn't have any particular characters in mind when I was sketching it, but on reflection it looks a lot like Red from Spyro

Good points:
    - The bright colours work with the toony style :ahee:
    - Shape of the head is alright

To improve for next time:
    - Be more careful with mark making: some of the lines overlap and the shape of the neck is a bit wonky
    - Actually put effort into shading or don't bother
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    These are awesome :yes: especially liking cat and the dog
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chronoscope)
    These are awesome :yes: especially liking cat and the dog
    Aha noooo the second one was supposed to be another dog/wolf/vaguely canine thing :animal: :lol: You'd think I'd have a better grasp of animal anatomy by now, but no I will definitely draw a cat later in the month though :snoozing:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Love these drawings, good art
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That is a great dragon. :adore:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Day 5

Size:  78.9 KB

Honestly, I didn't really enjoy doing this one and I think it shows I think I focused too much on trying to capture the really subtle colour differences on the petals. Flowers have never been a subject of choice for me (hence why I'm doing this now... getting out of comfort zones and all that ) so I'm still making baby steps with these.

Reference photo: https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...ty-jeppson.jpg
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Day 5

Size:  78.9 KB

Honestly, I didn't really enjoy doing this one and I think it shows I think I focused too much on trying to capture the really subtle colour differences on the petals. Flowers have never been a subject of choice for me (hence why I'm doing this now... getting out of comfort zones and all that ) so I'm still making baby steps with these.

Reference photo: https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...ty-jeppson.jpg
    Kudos for stepping out of your comfort zone! It looks great. :yes: Also, purple. :coma:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Woah, your dragon and flower look awesome! Well done for stepping out of your comfort zones in regards to mediums and what you're drawing!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Day 6 :dance:

Another bash at observational drawing :sly:

Name:  DRAWING.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  16.1 KB

I think I prefer this to my last one that I did with only pencil :yep: The shading is more consistent. What lets it down is the eyelashes (the ones on the bottom lid aren't in line :grumble: ) and the, uh, medial canthus ( cant think of the non-anatomical name for it... the pink bit ), but overall I'm fairly happy with it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.