Turn on thread page Beta

Can the contraceptive pill actually cause infertility? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the pill for about five years now, and the main reason I use it is to deal with bad period cramps, not really as a contraceptive. I had a friend recently tell me that the contraceptive pill can cause infertility, and now I'm worried about the fact I've been taking it for so long. I tried to look into it but there are so many contradicting points on the internet so I don't really know what to believe. I wondered if anyone had any personal experience or properly backed up evidence about this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Hi dear. I became pregnant years ago. I used the contraceptive pill and the implant and have now been ttc for five years and have maybe one period a year. The NHS website says fertility should return as normal. Mine didn't, doctor suspects the contraception masked fertility issues. Never had fertility issues before unnaturally messing with my body via contraption. I bet the contraceptive injection is worst. I have a friend who will only use condoms. Doctor suspected PCOS but there was no conclusive proof of this. May sound like a conspiracy theory but I'd never use any such contraption again. I feel like it's messed up my body. Whether it has or not no-one knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaRebecca1997)
    I've been on the pill for about five years now, and the main reason I use it is to deal with bad period cramps, not really as a contraceptive. I had a friend recently tell me that the contraceptive pill can cause infertility, and now I'm worried about the fact I've been taking it for so long. I tried to look into it but there are so many contradicting points on the internet so I don't really know what to believe. I wondered if anyone had any personal experience or properly backed up evidence about this
    There are no studies that confirm it does. Although many women get pregnant after or even during taking the pill so I doubt it.

I think most likely it's that women start on the pill to not get pregnant before they do. Which means they haven't tried getting pregnant so haven't encountered the infertility issues. Then once they come off, they blame the pill. There is also the question of age, as the older you get, the more likely you are to have fertility issues
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What Devify said. If it did directly affect fertility a) after over fifty years after the widespread use of hormonal contraception we'd know by now, and b) makers would have been sued out of existence.

In addition, if you're not using condoms, it becomes more likely that you will get something that can affect your fertility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    There are no studies that confirm it does. Although many women get pregnant after or even during taking the pill so I doubt it.

I think most likely it's that women start on the pill to not get pregnant before they do. Which means they haven't tried getting pregnant so haven't encountered the infertility issues. Then once they come off, they blame the pill. There is also the question of age, as the older you get, the more likely you are to have fertility issues
    (Original post by unprinted)
    What Devify said. If it did directly affect fertility a) after over fifty years after the widespread use of hormonal contraception we'd know by now, and b) makers would have been sued out of existence.

In addition, if you're not using condoms, it becomes more likely that you will get something that can affect your fertility.
    After I've looked into it a bit, it seems that basically studies have shown there isn't a direct correlation between taking the pill and becoming infertile, but due to the nature of the pill as it regulates periods etc, it can sometimes mask the signs that might indicate something isn't quite right, as periods are usually a tell for that sort of thing. So whilst the pill wont directly cause you to have fertility problems, the fact it can mask signs of a developing problem means a lot of women who face these problems blame the pill and assume the pill caused it even though it didn't. It would've been the same had they not been on the pill, the pill just stopped them from noticing it until they were actually trying to get pregnant.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.