Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever been catfished? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't think i would be able to bare the pain...messaging someone you think is a possible partner and they end up being someone else. How did you cope?
    How to cope?

1 by realising that online relationships mean nothing till you've actually physically met and spent time with the person.

2 by realising that even if the person is not catfishing, that you are only getting a highly filtered version of the person. That people's self-image may be very different to what they actually are.

3 Profile photos. You will almost never been able to recognise anyone the first time you meet them from their profile photos. The only way you'll known it is them will be by meeting at a highly specific location - like within 2 metres. Assuming you're sensible and arrange to meet at a busy public location.

4 Not taking your life too seriously. Laugh at set-backs like being catfished.

5 Treating online dating like the sales game that it is. In this case you're selling yourself as a boyfriend / girlfriend / husband / wife. In most sales jobs you get more failures than successes. But it's the successes that make it all worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    It never happened to me but I knew a girl who was being catfished by three girls in school on BBM. They would take turns to message her it was soo wrong. The crazy thing is that before I knew, I told the girl that she shouldn’t trust who she meets online because they could be a catfish. She didn’t listen
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

cat_mac

ReputationRep:
    People have had the potential to catfish me but I never have been 😎😎😎

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if it turn out to be catfish, but he all lovin n carin, gay is just a number so... 💦💦💦💦

ReputationRep:
    I've catfished multiple times before [for research purposes]

I really do recommend it, As a guy you'll find much more truthful answers to questions than asking girls on TSR about it [where you often get feel good, PC ..fairytale answers]

Anyways, I wasn't a malicious catfish, I never lead anyone on or even talked to them for more than one day. tbh 99% of the messages I got I ignored

I did also catfish my friends date once [in person] with his permission, ..that was jokes lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    cat_mac
    Lmaooo i’m so deep I must be catfishing myself. If I did catfish I would do it to american people so I could meet Nev and Max. :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Lmaooo i’m so deep I must be catfishing myself. If I did catfish I would do it to american people so I could meet Nev and Max. :danceboy:

Some girl pretending to be katy perry catfished some American dude once

The girl was from the UK

Nev and Max got on a plane to the UK!

Spoiler:
    Show

you just need to pick someone famous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    Some girl pretending to be katy perry catfished some American dude once

The girl was from the UK

Nev and Max got on a plane to the UK!

Spoiler:
    Show

you just need to pick someone famous
    Omg that was a great episode, the guy thought it was just Katy Perry playing a joke on him and pretending she was a catfish :toofunny:

They’re in the works of making a UK version of the show, but it won’t be Nev and Max so there’s no point.

ReputationRep:
    I think so.

(Original post by Sadflower)
    Nope! That's why I watch the tv show lol when it comes to online dating, you must must just speak on the phone, know it's the person, video chat and what not
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuE98oeL-e0

That TV show interested me but i watched this film trailer. Why would u even catfish...the trailer makes me feel so many emotions
    Confused why any person would do it, so so sad for the guy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.