Turn on thread page Beta

Ordinary Degree or honours ? Will pursue ACCA right after ! confused, help needed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,im currently confused as to whether i should do my honours year or not (Heriot watt accounting and finance), i intend to get on with ACCA as soon as I graduate and since i get my all my exemptions after the completion of my third year I feel like my 4th year would be a waste of my time as i will have to do ACCA after the 4th year,my course co-ordinator thinks its a good idea for me to graduate with an ordinary degree and complete ACCA faster as after completing my ACCA (provided i do well) the honours degree shouldn't matter at all,
    my grades arent a problem with my lowest in these 3 years being a B,
    my overall average is around 70% ,
    so i just wanted to know if getting an ordinary degree along with all my exemptions for ACCA is the best routebecause it seems to make complete sense to me however i would love to hear your opinion on it thank you,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demamp)
    hey guys,im currently confused as to whether i should do my honours year or not (Heriot watt accounting and finance), i intend to get on with ACCA as soon as I graduate and since i get my all my exemptions after the completion of my third year I feel like my 4th year would be a waste of my time as i will have to do ACCA after the 4th year,my course co-ordinator thinks its a good idea for me to graduate with an ordinary degree and complete ACCA faster as after completing my ACCA (provided i do well) the honours degree shouldn't matter at all,
    so i just wanted to know if getting an ordinary degree along with all my exemptions for ACCA is the best routebecause it seems to make complete sense to me however i would love to hear your opinion on it thank you,

I don't think it is necessary to do one extra years for honours degree .

However , I would suggest that you do ICAEW instead of ACCA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLMC)
    I don't think it is necessary to do one extra years for honours degree .

However , I would suggest that you do ICAEW instead of ACCA
    Thanks for the reply, ill look into ICAEW as well cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demamp)
    Is there some particular reason you want to leave university a year earlier (money, to move house etc?). I'm a bit surprised by the advice you received - universities seem to push more education rather than less!

I don't know how recruitment in Scotland works, but in England leaving with a non honours degree would raise questions and concerns with anyone looking to recruit you. It just looks unusual and accountants tend to look for stability. Not saying its insurmountable but worth considering. Could you do honours at some future date if it became a block to employment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    Is there some particular reason you want to leave university a year earlier (money, to move house etc?). I'm a bit surprised by the advice you received - universities seem to push more education rather than less!

I don't know how recruitment in Scotland works, but in England leaving with a non honours degree would raise questions and concerns with anyone looking to recruit you. It just looks unusual and accountants tend to look for stability. Not saying its insurmountable but worth considering. Could you do honours at some future date if it became a block to employment?
    thanks for the reply,
    well in Scotland an ordinary degree is a degree in its own right, its not seen just as a pass degree as in england, the main reason is that since ACCA would be major qualification and my masters in a sense since its a professional degree, i dont think employers would care about about any other degree as long as its there, many of my friends skipped a degree altogether and went into ACCA straight away and are now employed in respectable firms, the main reason behind this is that im not gonna be looking for a job after graduation with a BA, i will complete acca and get experience through an academy after which i think honours wouldnt matter,
    cuz if you think about it i already have all my exemptions required for ACCA, the inly thing honours is gonna do for me is give the title of honours in my degree thats all, i think employers would be focused more on my acca qualifications and having a BA with high grades would just be a plus,
    hopefully im making sense

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.