Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So I've had a few personal issues and I've been struggling a lot financially. As a result I've not spent any time on my dissertation which is due for the 18th of April. I am passionate about the second world war and would love to spend the next month and a half researching the bombing campaign however I fear it's all been covered and it seems my university want us to conduct out own research on an uncovered topic. I'm panicking like **** now.. what can I do?!

As I see it there are a couple options.

If its an undergraduate dissertation, you still have time. Everyone writes at a different pace but I managed 9,000 words within 3 weeks receiving a decent mark. It is possible.

If these personal/financial issues are persisting and you expect them to be a problem till the deadline, 100% notify the head of department/personal tutor/whoever is responsible for granting extensions and ask for an extension. They will look more kindly if you notify them now instead of a week or two weeks before. Try and ask asap.

If its undergraduate I would be very surprised if they required research into a completely uncovered topic. They might want a refreshing angle/some original research but not in a field/subfield that hasn't really been studied before.

All I can say is, you still have enough time, but act as soon as possible. Start by explaining your problems to the powers that be and if necessary (and if you want to) ask for an extension.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.