Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you come away from social media feeling worse? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never really been into social media. I've never been active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. I realised early on that I wasn't interested in other people's social trivia. I'm also a low-key person in real life, so the idea of putting my life story online just doesn't appeal to me.

Nowadays, my social media usage doesn't extend beyond a few forums, and even then, I tend to dip in and out. I like the fact that my social media use is minimal. I don't feel the fear of missing out, nor do I feel compelled to generate new content all the time.

I think if I were more active across social media, I'd be worse off. The cumulative information overload that arises from trying to juggle several social platforms would be overwhelming enough.

I believe that my strict limiting of social media is the reason why I don't really experience the negative feelings commonly associated with it. I don't come away from social media feeling more anxious, overwhelmed, envious, stressed, worthless etc, because my online presence is limited and my investment is minimal.

But I want to know about your experience with social media. Be honest with yourself: how often do you come away from social media feeling worse than you did before you logged in?

Share your thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Never? It's purely functional for me, I don't buy into all this measuring my life against other people's lives etc. I understand the mechanics of how people can come away feeling worse, anxious and so on, I just can't relate it to anything.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I'd like to delete all my social media and chill out, I know I couldn't.
    I use instagram the most and I have thousands of followers so I always feel like I HAVE to keep everyone updated with what I do. I don't think I've ever clicked off the app feeling happy lol. Most felt feelings are probably jealousy and depressed. People tend to highlight and upload the best parts of their life. Doesn't necessarily mean everything is perfect. It's funny how even knowing That, I will still feel a bit mehhh after using instagram.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Never. Because I don’t care about other people’s lives (or better said portrayed lives when it comes to social media), I’m living my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Never. Because I don’t care about other people’s lives (or better said portrayed lives when it comes to social media), I’m living my own.
    Exactly. Or to be more accurate, I do care, but never in this wholesale way. I like to see my mates doing well and having nice stuff, but I'm not easily made envious and I don't invest anything in these comparisons so they never affect my mood negatively. Seems like it's an increasingly rare mindset.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Exactly. Or to be more accurate, I do care, but never in this wholesale way. I like to see my mates doing well and having nice stuff, but I'm not easily made envious and I don't invest anything in these comparisons so they never affect my mood negatively. Seems like it's an increasingly rare mindset.
    Yeah man, same here. Actually was just having a chat about this yesterday with a friend. I really don’t understand why others do get envious. I mean if someone does happen to have something you really desire, why not be happy for them, admire them instead and strive to be like that too one day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, same here. Actually was just having a chat about this yesterday with a friend. I really don’t understand why others do get envious. I mean if someone does happen to have something you really desire, why not be happy for them, admire them instead and strive to be like that too one day.
    yeah - I was brought up to think like that. And then it was followed by work hard and you can get nice ****, too. Something that's stuck with me forever thinking about it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    yeah - I was brought up to think like that. And then it was followed by work hard and you can get nice ****, too. Something that's stuck with me forever thinking about it.
    I think the issue is that many people feel entitled to certain...things. Be it skills, material objects, social status, wealth, good love life....And if they don’t have them then why should others have them? It’s an ego problem.

ReputationRep:
    I think the issue is that many people feel entitled to certain...things. Be it skills, material objects, social status, wealth, good love life....And if they don’t have them then why should others have them? It’s an ego problem.
    You're probably onto something.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You're probably onto something.
    Who knows. Trying to figure people out and their psyche is a pain in the arse

ReputationRep:
    Who knows. Trying to figure people out and their psyche is a pain in the arse
    Haha, true enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    I realised early on that I wasn't interested in other people's social trivia. I'm also a low-key person in real life, so the idea of putting my life story online just doesn't appeal to me.
    Your 7 gems on TSR indicate otherwise
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by difficult)
    Your 7 gems on TSR indicate otherwise
    7 gems is barely anything you get that really fast. It takes a while to get to the no life veteran status like me with nearly 11 gems (not many reps away from it). And don’t get me started on 12 gems...

ReputationRep:
    no life veteran status like me with nearly 11 gems (not many reps away from it)
    But do you see what I mean though? You say you're not interested in people's lives but you're all so active on TSR (not that there's anything wrong with that).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But do you see what I mean though? You say you're not interested in people's lives but you're all so active on TSR (not that there's anything wrong with that).
    Yes, I’m here for my own entertainment. What’s your point?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I’m here for my own entertainment. What’s your point?
    It seems contradictory to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In what way? I don’t come here to catch up with what Daisy had for dinner or what new car John got for Christmas. I just look for some banter in threads.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I enjoy the craic but ultimately if any of you died tomorrow, it would not affect me one jot.

Similarly if you won the lottery tomorrow.

Loads of people on here are doing better than I did at 18, good for them, I really don't care because it doesn't actually affect me. Social media doesn't actually affect me. People just have skewered perceptions of it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not really. I enjoy the craic but ultimately if any of you died tomorrow, it would not affect me one jot.

Similarly if you won the lottery tomorrow.

Loads of people on here are doing better than I did at 18, good for them, I really don't care because it doesn't actually affect me. Social media doesn't actually affect me. People just have skewered perceptions of it.
    Exactly. I think it takes a bit of maturity to have this mindset. Some people on here can't grasp it just yet.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I think it takes a bit of maturity to have this mindset. Some people on here can't grasp it just yet.
    Could well be. Sure I might have cared too much at 16 what other people had or didn't have (though that's not how I remember it).

There's a post a few up saying that the person has never felt happy or positive after using Instagram. If that was the case for me, I'd just stop using it and then examine why I allowed myself to feel that way - generally, it is a choice you make. Easy. Life's to short to be beholden to things that make you feel crap. Life's to short to get into thought habits that let you drift down that road.

I also point back to my original comment where I specify that I 'don't care' about comparing or getting annoyed or otherwise investing self-worth into internet sites. I still enjoy the craic (most of the time), but I'm not caught up wishing my life was like anybody else's, for example.

I have no anxiety or insecurity at all re social media because the way in which I invest in it is so limited. That is my real point, especially in relation to what the OP is getting at.

Apologies for the essay :laugh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2018
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.