Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you come away from social media feeling worse? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Could well be. Sure I might have cared too much at 16 what other people had or didn't have (though that's not how I remember it).

There's a post a few up saying that the person has never felt happy or positive after using Instagram. If that was the case for me, I'd just stop using it and then examine why I allowed myself to feel that way - generally, it is a choice you make. Easy. Life's to short to be beholden to things that make you feel crap. Life's to short to get into thought habits that let you drift down that road.

I also point back to my original comment where I specify that I 'don't care' about comparing or getting annoyed or otherwise investing self-worth into internet sites. I still enjoy the craic (most of the time), but I'm not caught up wishing my life was like anybody else's, for example.

I have no anxiety or insecurity at all re social media because the way in which I invest in it is so limited. That is my real point, especially in relation to what the OP is getting at.

Apologies for the essay :laugh:
    At 16 I was a mess tbh lol. I never wished to be like anybody else though nor envied anyone.Yeah I was quite insecure in some areas, cared a lot about what other people thought of me and was going through that teenage "phase"...but 3 years later and I'm a whole different person.

I agree. Best to just live your life doing things that make you feel happy and good about yourself. Social media is a waste of time anyways to be fair...People get so caught up in it and it's all for nothing. Just some likes on photos to feed their fragile egos. Wished people wouldn't base their self-worth on such trivial matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Yeah man, same here. Actually was just having a chat about this yesterday with a friend. I really don’t understand why others do get envious. I mean if someone does happen to have something you really desire, why not be happy for them, admire them instead and strive to be like that too one day.
    Because we naturally desire things that are hard to get, thats how envy works.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    That's a bit of a cop out - you can change your thinking habits to mitigate or even halt this.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I like to use Facebook on computer to keep in touch with friends and participate in discussion groups. I uninstalled Facebook from my phone because I found myself just scrolling down passively consuming content without actually receiving any benefit. These days if I spend much time on there it's usually because I'm writing something.

Social media is very dangerous I think - they spend millions to make their services as addictive as possible, so people should be aware that social media is the enemy of their productivity. In addition to that, they're also manipulative of our emotions, and as we've seen have had a very nonchalant attitude to protecting their users from misinformation or manipulation from third parties. Their answer is always to have more data, more control, more connectivity.

I think that people are generally uninformed about the risks, and maybe they don't really care that much anyway. As humans we tend to want to emote, to be outraged, to have more content now rather than go back to the offline world. Some people don't even mind consuming misinformation.

Even if we end up feeling objectively worse off afterwards, even if we lose our self-control and become absorbed by the online world, some people seem to be willing to be consumed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    That's a bit of a cop out - you can change your thinking habits to mitigate or even halt this.
    Key word Naturally

ReputationRep:
    Key word Naturally
    Yes, but how are you appealing to that? I'm not sure envy as framed in the wider context of this thread (i.e. a negative, destructive sort) is natural at all.

ReputationRep:
    Key word Naturally
    It is natural to travel from York to London on foot. Most people take a car or the train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    It is natural to travel from York to London on foot. Most people take a car or the train.
    Looks like that train which contained my message passed right by your head.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like that train which contained my message passed right by your head.
    Looks like I just cringed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Looks like I just cringed.
    Likewise
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There’s one thing to strive to be like someone and then there’s another to envy them.

And when I say strive to be like someone I don’t mean copy them or anything like that. I’m talking about wanting to be succesful and using succesful people as motivation. For example, look at Elon Musk. As an engineering student I look up to him and really admire the guy.

ReputationRep:
    There’s one thing to strive to be like someone and then there’s another to envy them.

And when I say strive to be like someone I don’t mean copy them or anything like that. I’m talking about wanting to be succesful and using succesful people as motivation. For example, look at Elon Musk. As an engineering student I look up to him and really admire the guy.
    Thats taking inspiration isnt it? Aspiring to be like somebody else.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thats taking inspiration isnt it? Aspiring to be like somebody else.
    As somebody else*

Yes, it is. It all depends on the emotions you feel towards the person. Are they positive emotions, and you are happy for them while striving to achieve something similar one day...or are you envious of them and wanting to be them? You see what I mean? 2 complete different things. It’s natural for people to want to be as succesful as they can. You can have people you look up to, admire or get inspired from, that’s healthy. What’s unhealthy is to be jealous of other people, it fills your life with so much negativity.

ReputationRep:
    As somebody else*

Yes, it is. It all depends on the emotions you feel towards the person. Are they positive emotions, and you are happy for them while striving to achieve something similar one day...or are you envious of them and wanting to be them? You see what I mean? 2 complete different things. It’s natural for people to want to be as succesful as they can. You can have people you look up to, admire or get inspired from, that’s healthy. What’s unhealthy is to be jealous of other people, it fills your life with so much negativity.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    in the early days when social media was a big thing, i used to constantly

as i've grown up and now understand the real deal behind what we see on instagram and facebook, never. an example - a wedding i went to was boring and dull as hell, people were literally waiting to leave, everyone was like zombies. yet if you checked out the brides pics online, it painted a VERY different story. and people were like 'omggg wish i was there, that looked like the wedding of the year' hahaha internet life and real life are two very opposing universes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    I've never really been into social media. I've never been active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. I realised early on that I wasn't interested in other people's social trivia. I'm also a low-key person in real life, so the idea of putting my life story online just doesn't appeal to me.

Nowadays, my social media usage doesn't extend beyond a few forums, and even then, I tend to dip in and out. I like the fact that my social media use is minimal. I don't feel the fear of missing out, nor do I feel compelled to generate new content all the time.

I think if I were more active across social media, I'd be worse off. The cumulative information overload that arises from trying to juggle several social platforms would be overwhelming enough.

I believe that my strict limiting of social media is the reason why I don't really experience the negative feelings commonly associated with it. I don't come away from social media feeling more anxious, overwhelmed, envious, stressed, worthless etc, because my online presence is limited and my investment is minimal.

But I want to know about your experience with social media. Be honest with yourself: how often do you come away from social media feeling worse than you did before you logged in?

Share your thoughts
    Imagine the typical student that comes on TSR and sees everyone's grades lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, same here. Actually was just having a chat about this yesterday with a friend. I really don’t understand why others do get envious. I mean if someone does happen to have something you really desire, why not be happy for them, admire them instead and strive to be like that too one day.
    I think it's all down to the way social platforms are designed to emphasise images. Pre-social media, people wern't able to visually consume all the positive events in a person's life in one go. Now technology has made it possible to consolidate all those positive events into a carefully curated image stream of happiness. This gives the viewer the impression that everyone else is living a life of endless happiness with no bad days. I think by design these platforms encourage users to compare and contrast their lives.
    Instagram is just a digital version of a beauty pageant.

(Original post by difficult)
    But do you see what I mean though? You say you're not interested in people's lives but you're all so active on TSR (not that there's anything wrong with that).
    Forums aren't solely about individual lives though. You have different sections and the quality of discussion tends to be better (although this really depends on the moderation). Moreover, you can get by on a forum by being anonymous. Try doing that on Facebook today.

ReputationRep:
    Never. I just turn off all Facebook notifications other than event invites and that's pretty much the extent of my social media use unless you count TSR and Reddit.

ReputationRep:
    Social media for me is basically just forums and leftist shitpost twitter. Provides a nice distraction from my mudane life.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tbh, I dont feel anything negative from social media. Like I just do my thing and be around positivity. Thats why those type of emotion/feelings are foreign to me. Im in general a happy person

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.