Turn on thread page Beta

Wardrobe collapsed on me - looking for cheap alternative watch

Announcements

BACKSTORY - NOT HUGELY IMPORTANT TO THE QUESTION BUT FELT A NEED TO PUT IT IN

When my family (mum, me, 2 brothers) moved house almost 3 years ago mum told me money was tight so when buying stuff to furnish my room I went for the cheapest possible options. One of these options involved me picking out a super cheap steel and poly-cotton single wardrobe (think it was argos but idk for sure), only finding out later that A) my floor is at an angle because of something to do with the entire street being on said angle, and B) I can't put nails into my wall without messing with it and potentially bringing the roof down on us all.

This has come back to bite me later than I thought it would, as tonight when I was getting ready for bed I literally just nudged the wardrobe with my shoulder, *barely* touching it, and the entire thing came down on me. I am talking a Chicken Little "the sky is falling!" type of thing. I was trapped under it (frame grazed my skull but no damage - I've always been hardheaded), and since the fabric over it was black it literally felt like being buried alive. I have no strong desire to be in that situation again. Plus once I got it off me and back up, I had to put all my clothes back which took the best part of half an hour, and I've had to sling the stuff on hangers on my desk because the rail part is completely busted!

I'll most likely be living at home for the next 4/5 years, and mum's basically forbid me from getting a job (not that I'm complaining) and money's still tight so I'd like to not have to replace my storage more than necessary.

I can build stuff like flat packs so that's not a problem and there was a stack of shelves attached to the rail part of my current wardrobe that I might be able to salvage but there's some stuff that needs to be hung up. I might get away with my jeans but stuff like shirts and dresses will probably need to be on a rail. I already tried asking mum/brothers if any of them have spare room in their wardrobes and none of them do, and I've marked a tonne of stuff to go to the charity shop, but I still have some stuff that does need a rail. At best right now I have the five 30cm x 30cm shelves that currently hold t-shirts, underwear, pyjamas, makeup, and the top one had a split in it when the thing came so I've never used it for anything heavier than a pair of socks.

END OF BACKSTORY

ACTUAL QUESTION:
    Does anyone know what I could get in terms of clothing storage that can take all my stuff but won't mean I'll be replacing it again in a year or worrying that it'll come toppling down on me? Anything you've got yourself and/or swear by?
    (preferably <£50)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    BACKSTORY - NOT HUGELY IMPORTANT TO THE QUESTION BUT FELT A NEED TO PUT IT IN

When my family (mum, me, 2 brothers) moved house almost 3 years ago mum told me money was tight so when buying stuff to furnish my room I went for the cheapest possible options. One of these options involved me picking out a super cheap steel and poly-cotton single wardrobe (think it was argos but idk for sure), only finding out later that A) my floor is at an angle because of something to do with the entire street being on said angle, and B) I can't put nails into my wall without messing with it and potentially bringing the roof down on us all.

This has come back to bite me later than I thought it would, as tonight when I was getting ready for bed I literally just nudged the wardrobe with my shoulder, *barely* touching it, and the entire thing came down on me. I am talking a Chicken Little "the sky is falling!" type of thing. I was trapped under it (frame grazed my skull but no damage - I've always been hardheaded), and since the fabric over it was black it literally felt like being buried alive. I have no strong desire to be in that situation again. Plus once I got it off me and back up, I had to put all my clothes back which took the best part of half an hour, and I've had to sling the stuff on hangers on my desk because the rail part is completely busted!

I'll most likely be living at home for the next 4/5 years, and mum's basically forbid me from getting a job (not that I'm complaining) and money's still tight so I'd like to not have to replace my storage more than necessary.

I can build stuff like flat packs so that's not a problem and there was a stack of shelves attached to the rail part of my current wardrobe that I might be able to salvage but there's some stuff that needs to be hung up. I might get away with my jeans but stuff like shirts and dresses will probably need to be on a rail. I already tried asking mum/brothers if any of them have spare room in their wardrobes and none of them do, and I've marked a tonne of stuff to go to the charity shop, but I still have some stuff that does need a rail. At best right now I have the five 30cm x 30cm shelves that currently hold t-shirts, underwear, pyjamas, makeup, and the top one had a split in it when the thing came so I've never used it for anything heavier than a pair of socks.

END OF BACKSTORY

ACTUAL QUESTION:
    Does anyone know what I could get in terms of clothing storage that can take all my stuff but won't mean I'll be replacing it again in a year or worrying that it'll come toppling down on me? Anything you've got yourself and/or swear by?
    (preferably <£50)
    Okay well the biggest thing here is making sure it doesn't fall on you again so really most wardrobes and tall things are out of the question if you can't fix them to the wall.

My best idea off the top of my head would be to get a chest of drawers to put most of your stuff in and attach a rail to that (or the ceiling) for hanging what needs to be hung. It will have a lower centre of gravity so shouldn't fall as easily.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.