Turn on thread page Beta

Remembering Childhood Trauma while at University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Being away from home, has given me the chance to connect with myself and I've been able to think more freely. Which is great but in the past year I've been recovering suppressed memories and it's affecting my life while at university, I feel isolated and disconnected. I was sexually abused by an older cousin when I was 7 years old and am only now coming to terms with it at the age of 21. I'm not sure how to explain my absences in lectures, I don't want to be around others, I feel constant shame. I'm in my second year now and feel like things are hopeless and I just want to hide away. I'm not sure how to handle this and with my studies, I feel so overwhelmed and I often can't think of anything else and I just want it to stop. Grateful for any advice

ReputationRep:
    Hi, first of all I'm really sorry this is happening to you and hope things begin to get better soon. You are not to blame and do not deserve to feel shame - but obviously that's easier said than done. In terms of moving forward, I can only urge you to contact your university health service for counselling and support. Talking to a professional can help you begin to get to grips with what's happened to you and work out how best to move forward. You and your doctor can also discuss your university situation, and your doctor can give you a note (obviously not containing any specific details) to give to your university to make sure they accommodate you in the way that you and your doctor decide is most appropriate - whether that be taking a break, postponing some exams, or just extending a few upcoming deadlines. Your university don't need to know the details, but they do need to know that you're struggling. You can also speak to your personal tutor - again, not necessarily providing any details - to let them know you're having some personal issues that require intervention, and it's making it hard to keep on top of your work. Hopefully they can help you navigate your course moving forward, while you spend some time focusing your energies on recovering.

Good luck, and stay strong. Reaching out is one of the hardest things you can do, but you've already made great progress by posting here today. You got this!

ReputationRep:
    you need support. Repressing the negative emotions will not help. See someone to help you recover. Meanwhile there is plenty of usefull material on line. I liked the "shame "CDs from Pia Mellody on youtube
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

There are helpines available
    The SAMARITANS have a free phone line (116123) and an online helpline.
    Victimsupport.org.uk helps people who are affected by crime or traumatic events to get the support they need.
    The shame you experience is a consequense of the trauma and it can be dealt with.
    My heart gies out to you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.