Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just to give you some background - I'm a EU national but have lived in the UK for over 5 years and can apply for both tuition and maintenance loan online.

I applied online today and although I am yet to send my EU passport etc. But then I started to worry as to what evidence I can use to show I've been living in the UK for the past 5 years - a lot has happened due to family issues and many documents and letters got lost. I also never had to pay any bills and all of my bank statements are paperless.

I found out that you can actually use certificates to prove your residency and from another post on TSR, I found out that they will cover the previous year, as they show that you have been studying in the UK.

The certificates I'm thinking of providing:
    summer term 2014 GCSE certificate
    June 2015 GCSE certificate
    summer term 2016 ABRSM certificate
    June 2017 GCSE certificate

I would also ask my college for a letter confirming my attendance for 2017/2018.

My questions:
    1. It's important to mention that I'm 19. On the residence form, it says you can only provide school/college letters if you're under 18. What should I do? Will the college letter still be okay? I'd use my bank statements but, again, they are paperless. I really can't think of anything else!
    2. Are ABRSM certificates okay? They are all original.
    3. Assuming the college letter for 2017/2018 is okay, would this be enough to prove my five years residency (1st September 2013-1st September 2018)?
    4. Will I receive a letter asking me to fill out the residency form? Or should I just send it?
    5. Lastly, this is a bit of a confusing one for me - I need to prove my residency up until 1st of September 2018 - which obviously months from now. How do I go about this?

Sorry for the lengthy post!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by VKO)
    Just to give you some background - I'm a EU national but have lived in the UK for over 5 years and can apply for both tuition and maintenance loan online.

I applied online today and although I am yet to send my EU passport etc. But then I started to worry as to what evidence I can use to show I've been living in the UK for the past 5 years - a lot has happened due to family issues and many documents and letters got lost. I also never had to pay any bills and all of my bank statements are paperless.

I found out that you can actually use certificates to prove your residency and from another post on TSR, I found out that they will cover the previous year, as they show that you have been studying in the UK.

The certificates I'm thinking of providing:
    summer term 2014 GCSE certificate
    June 2015 GCSE certificate
    summer term 2016 ABRSM certificate
    June 2017 GCSE certificate

I would also ask my college for a letter confirming my attendance for 2017/2018.

My questions:
    1. It's important to mention that I'm 19. On the residence form, it says you can only provide school/college letters if you're under 18. What should I do? Will the college letter still be okay? I'd use my bank statements but, again, they are paperless. I really can't think of anything else!
    2. Are ABRSM certificates okay? They are all original.
    3. Assuming the college letter for 2017/2018 is okay, would this be enough to prove my five years residency (1st September 2013-1st September 2018)?
    4. Will I receive a letter asking me to fill out the residency form? Or should I just send it?
    5. Lastly, this is a bit of a confusing one for me - I need to prove my residency up until 1st of September 2018 - which obviously months from now. How do I go about this?

Sorry for the lengthy post!
    This is a list of acceptable evidence for students over 18, also bank statements need to be originals and can be printed and stamped by your bank, we advise that you send in as much evidence just now as possible until you have evidence for September 2018.

Below is a basic chart of acceptable evidence: all evidence must be originals.

Note: This is not an exhaustive list; other acceptable evidence may continue to be added.

Evidence for Students
    Council tax bills
    One for each year i.e. 01/04/2011 – 31/03/2012.
    Online printed council tax bills
    One for each year i.e. 01/04/2011 – 31/03/2012.
    Housing and council tax benefit letters
    Covers period stated in letter or issue date.
    Letter from local council or housing association
    Utility bills
    Original Water bills, electric bills, gas bills, phone bills, TV licenses.
    (Please note that TV licenses can be accepted for the full year stated on the statement).
    Please not we will not accept electronic utility bills.
    P60 / Online printed E-P60
    One for each year,
    (must not be hand written).
    eP60’s – Can only be accepted if accompanied by a reference letter from the issuing company advising this is the only way the company issues P60s.
    Wage slips
    Must contain: salary, employer information, national insurance number, pay period.
    Electronic Wage Slips – Can only be accepted if accompanied by a letter from the employer confirming this is the only way the company issue their payslips.
    HMRC letters
    Child tax credits
    letter (belongs to student)
    Full and part TCANs can be accepted, however they must show:
    • [img]file:///C:/Users/malcolca/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img] Full UK address,
    • [img]file:///C:/Users/malcolca/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img] Each page must confirm the same period of time.
    Child benefit
    This can be accepted as full evidence for the year of the letter i.e. letter postmarked 26/06/2012 – we would accept for the whole 2012 year. Unless the child benefit letter confirms an exact period of claimed.
    Tax returns
    Showing full name and address.
    (Not hand written) – One for year each year stated in the letter e.g. 15/16 would cover one financial year. Tax returns need to show a submission code. If they do not have this code then we cannot determine if it is a real tax return or not. A submission code is a form of receipt that the HMRC provides to say they have received the tax return.
    Tax calculations
    Tax calculations can be accepted for the period they cover i.e. 15/16 would cover the tax year of 05/04/15 – 04/04/16.
    Original bank statements
    Must cover start of course and show regular UK activity. The dates to use on a statement are those that are transactions; bill payments, ATM machines and card payments. Do not count any interest payments especially if at the beginning of the period.
    ***Bank statements can be accepted whether the first transaction is in a positive or a negative***
    Duplicate bank statements
    Duplicate bank statements can only be accepted as full evidence if they are either:
    • [img]file:///C:/Users/malcolca/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img] Received with a cover letter from the bank,
    • [img]file:///C:/Users/malcolca/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img] Stamped by the bank,
    • [img]file:///C:/Users/malcolca/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img] State they are a duplicate.
    If the statements do not meet this criteria then they unacceptable.
    EDOSTAR statements
    These can be accepted as full evidence as long as they are received with a cover letter on headed paper from the bank. Must show regular UK activity.
    Internet printed bank statements
    To be acceptable, internet bank statements must be stamped by the bank and must have the banks URL showing.
    DWP letters, DLA letters, Jobcentre Centre Plus letters
    Showing details of claim and covers time stated in letter.
    UK border agency letters
    Confirming date status granted, (only applicable to EU ID team).
    Withdrawn/approved previous applications
    Previous applications can be accepted as evidence of residency as long as they have had payments. If the student has had full payments this would cover the full A/Y. If they have had part payments you would cover from the start of the A/Y to the date of the last payment.
    A4 wage slips
    If the wage slip is from a well known company and you are sure of the wage slip’s authenticity then this can be accepted as full evidence. If there is any discrepancy with the wage slip please see ‘unacceptable evidence’ below.
    Certified copies of documents
    Must be received with a letter from the company stating it is a certified copy of the original, or on headed/stamped paper confirming certified copy of an original.
    HMRC Letter of Employment History
    Must cover and confirm the dates requested in letter.
    HMRC tax summary
    Must have submission code visible on document.

ReputationRep:
    What about the certificates? Will they be accepted for the period of time when I was under 18? Do they cover the previous year?

I really don't have any of those documents and the only way I could prove it really is through my certificates and school letters. Can I really not use them just because I am over 18 now?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by VKO)
    What about the certificates? Will they be accepted for the period of time when I was under 18? Do they cover the previous year?

I really don't have any of those documents and the only way I could prove it really is through my certificates and school letters. Can I really not use them just because I am over 18 now?
    Hi VKO,

The certificates are acceptable evidence as long as they are original documents.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That helps a lot already. Is it true that they cover the previous year?

Lastly, can I provide college letters stating my attendance in those years even if I am over 18? will this be acceptable?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by VKO)
    Thank you! That helps a lot already. Is it true that they cover the previous year?

Lastly, can I provide college letters stating my attendance in those years even if I am over 18? will this be acceptable?
    Hi VKO,

What do you mean do they cover the previous year?

College letters are also acceptable.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    On another TSR thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4722632 the person mentiones that original certificates cover the year before they are issued, as they confirm that I was in the UK studying. Was just wondering if that's the case and if I show a certificate issued in 2014, if that would cover 2013 etc.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by VKO)
    On another TSR thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4722632 the person mentiones that original certificates cover the year before they are issued, as they confirm that I was in the UK studying. Was just wondering if that's the case and if I show a certificate issued in 2014, if that would cover 2013 etc.
    Hi VKO,

Evidence will be accepted as long as it covers the full period of residency that we have requested.

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    But do these certificates cover the year before they were issued?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by VKO)
    But do these certificates cover the year before they were issued?
    Hi VKO,

The certificates will cover the year that is on the certificate.

Thanks

Catherine

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.