Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

lecturers watch

Announcements

Are lectures understanding when it comes to struggling with mental health. I'm starting to worry whether they won't listen to me and just have a go or kick me out 😌
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Are lectures understanding when it comes to struggling with mental health. I'm starting to worry whether they won't listen to me and just have a go or kick me out 😌
    Yes, but it helps if you have spoken to the mental health or welfare team and most importantly your GP.

You should also speak to your personal tutor.

Lecturers and unis understand students get stressed, lonely, anxious , depressed etc. They will take it more seriously if you have sought help from independent sources and wont argue with a GPs diagnosis. Tell people. Hiding it is the worst strategy.

ReputationRep:
    Entirely depends on the lecturer but legally speaking they shouldn’t discriminate

ReputationRep:
    If you have a diagnosed condition that you've made the uni aware of they can't legally discriminate against you. In fact they encourage you to disclose it so you can set up a plan for what happens if you're having a tough time. If they're aware in advance you can be given accommodations and extra support, but if you don't tell them what's wrong they might assume it's a personal failure rather than an episode of mental illness and you might not get the support you need and deserve. Obviously every lecturer is different and not everyone is going to understand what you're going through unfortunately, but if you go through the proper channels you'll have protection.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.