Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am joining in September on the Biomedical Sciences course. I have a few months yet but just wondered what sort of laptop anyone would advise? With this course will I need to be looking for laptops with a certain specification? I just want to make sure I get a good and reliable one that isn’t too heavy to carry around. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharRolfe)
    Hi, I am joining in September on the Biomedical Sciences course. I have a few months yet but just wondered what sort of laptop anyone would advise? With this course will I need to be looking for laptops with a certain specification? I just want to make sure I get a good and reliable one that isn’t too heavy to carry around. Thanks
    Hi
    Congrats on your biomed offer!
    I’m a third year biomed student and I can say that on my case any laptop is fine.
    I had an alright £200-250 for the last two and a half years which did the job but I’ve recently got a MacBook Air which I’ve started to take to my lectures.

Quite a few students take their laptops to lectures with them and type up their notes on it (lectures are in the form of PowerPoints or pdf which I can download before the lecture starts and add notes to that).
    Before getting my new laptop I just printed off my lecture slides and annotated them by hand in lectures which worked perfectly well for the last five semesters. It’s only this semester that I’m trying my new method (kinda risky!!)

You are likely to have to write up lab reports and maybe an essay or two so you need Microsoft (although a lot of unis let you download it free for your duration there so hold off buying it).

It’s good for a laptop to be lightweight as it’s a pain to carry around campus with you if not (I avoided taking my old laptop anywhere).

Overall you just need a decent laptop which will last the duration of your degree, reasonably lightweight, works well having up to 20+ tabs open (trust me that’ll happen when writing your dissertation!) on the Internet, reasonable screen size as you don’t want to be squinting to look at your note/netbook.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thank you for your reply. Makes it easier knowing what sort of thing to go for. I think I read that Greenwich let you download Microsoft for free so that is a bonus 👍🏻.

Really nervous about starting and just want to make sure I’m completely organised! 😬

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand - when i started I had no idea what to expect. I ended up asking a second year if i had to bring textbooks to lectures as that’s what I did at college! (The answer is no btw!)

Lectures are often uploaded online and the lecture itself is recorded so you can watch it later and for revision.

Don’t buy any textbooks until the university lets you know which ones they want you to have and even then you don’t need all of them. Most, if not all, are in the library anyway.

Get yourself basic stationary complete with highlighters and notebooks (if you like to handwritten your notes).

When you start try to get into a habit of writing up your lectures from the beginning as they quickly build up. I’m in my fifth week of this semester (which is 12wks long) and I already have about 30 lectures to write up as I’ve been ignoring them (and getting my dissertation written).

If you have any questions about uni feel free to message me or post on here again 😊 I’m not at Greenwich uni but I’m sure there can’t be too many differences between universities

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.