Turn on thread page Beta

Is this normal? Advice please watch

So my fiancé is lovely we have been together two years and living together for 6 months. He’s so romantic and does very thoughtful surprises for me. He is 30 I’m 22.
    Only problem is he doesn’t like me doing stuff without him. If I go out with my friends he try’s to make me feel bad about not inviting him, and says don’t get too drunk he knows what I’m like?? Which is fine- I’ve never cheated so I don’t know what he means.
    Anyway he has taken me away for a weekend for a birthday present and while we are here my brother asked me to go out with him to a dancing class, my fiancé is invited too but says he doesn’t want to go with my brother can we go just us. I’ve said no it’s mean to not go with my brother. And it’s caused a huge argument that I can’t just say no to him... it’s only one night for 2 hours and if my fiancé doesn’t want to go he doesn’t want me to go either

Is it normal?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So my fiancé is lovely we have been together two years and living together for 6 months. He’s so romantic and does very thoughtful surprises for me. He is 30 I’m 22.
    Only problem is he doesn’t like me doing stuff without him. If I go out with my friends he try’s to make me feel bad about not inviting him, and says don’t get too drunk he knows what I’m like?? Which is fine- I’ve never cheated so I don’t know what he means.
    Anyway he has taken me away for a weekend for a birthday present and while we are here my brother asked me to go out with him to a dancing class, my fiancé is invited too but says he doesn’t want to go with my brother can we go just us. I’ve said no it’s mean to not go with my brother. And it’s caused a huge argument that I can’t just say no to him... it’s only one night for 2 hours and if my fiancé doesn’t want to go he doesn’t want me to go either

Is it normal?
    It is not normal. He seems to have insecurity. He probably does not trust you enough to let you be your own person.

It is one thing to be worried when my girl goes out with her mates, it is another to be worried about her family.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    You should stay with your lovely fiancé for the free stuff he gives you
    Sir. TooJender Vagine-Willie

(Original post by Anonymous)

Is it normal?
    No, it isn’t normal. He should ease up and if not, you’re going to end up in a controlling relationship.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

That sounds like insecurity to me. And that can get annoying in a relationship if you partner can't handle you going out with friends or family. He does not own you just because you guys are engaged. Also you guys's age difference kind of makes it more complicated too. He's older and most likely ready to settle down and just wants that from you as well but you're just 22! You are just experiencing life tbh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.