Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my fiancé and I have been together 2 years and living together for 6 months. He is perfect and so thoughtful and romantic. I love him to peices - he is 30 and I’m 22. So I feel like sometimes this causes problems because he has been though his twenty’s and been out with his friends and for drunk and now it’s my turn he doesn’t seem to like me going out without him. If I say I’m going out on Saturday do you wanna come he will say why did I say yes and not talk about it we are a couple and decide things together ? But if I wanna go why not say yes?
    Just recently my brother has invit d me and my fiancé to go dancing one evening and has no one to go with and has begged me to go with him. I said yes and my fiancé is furious because he doesn’t want to go and if I go it ‘means he has to go’ and we are in a huge row because ‘all I had to do was say we were busy’ but I’d like to go????
    Is it normal? What shall I do xx

ReputationRep:
    It is not normal, even with the age gap he should respect that you have things you want to do like go out. He doesnt have to go out with you every time if he doesnt want to, but it would be nice of him to do so sometimes to show support for your social life. Even when he doesnt go with you, in a healthy relationship he should let you go alone or with your own friends.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As above - it’s not normal. I had a 20year age gap and the behaviour was much the same. I thought he was perfect - he wasn’t he was an idiot who was going behind my back all the time.

Talk to him and tell him how you feel. It’s fine if he doesn’t want to go out with you but it shouldn’t stop you from doing what you want. If he doesn’t support that then you should move on! X
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You're two different people and will have different ideas of a good time. He needs to respect that. Sometimes in a relationship you do things that you don't necessarily want to do, because it's about compromise and happiness. You two need to have a talk about how to react to things like these and find out what's going on with him and these reactions.

ReputationRep:
    No, not normal. Your fiancé definitely seems to have some big issues with insecurities and controlling behaviour.

You shouldn't be forced to decide between hanging out with friends or family (but making him unhappy) VS hanging out just with him (and making him happy). He doesn't own you and you need to have some independence in your life.

If you let him dictate who you can hang out with, then not only will the behaviour get worse, but don't be surprised if he begins to make you very isolated (from friends and family alike).

I think you should discuss with him about this little issue he might understand because this are the type of things that happen when there is difference in age between two people. Try to explain to him things from his angle, i mean there are things that you don't use to do or like to do but since he like it you do it to please him so as a partner he must understand you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma098765)
    So my fiancé and I have been together 2 years and living together for 6 months. He is perfect and so thoughtful and romantic. I love him to peices - he is 30 and I’m 22. So I feel like sometimes this causes problems because he has been though his twenty’s and been out with his friends and for drunk and now it’s my turn he doesn’t seem to like me going out without him. If I say I’m going out on Saturday do you wanna come he will say why did I say yes and not talk about it we are a couple and decide things together ? But if I wanna go why not say yes?
    Just recently my brother has invit d me and my fiancé to go dancing one evening and has no one to go with and has begged me to go with him. I said yes and my fiancé is furious because he doesn’t want to go and if I go it ‘means he has to go’ and we are in a huge row because ‘all I had to do was say we were busy’ but I’d like to go????
    Why don't you just go? There is no reason he has to go as well. It's healthy for couples to do things both together and separately.

ReputationRep:
    It... Uh... Doesn't mean he has to go. You can do things separately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma098765)
    He is dumb, you can do whatever you want, that isn’t normal, you still have a life

ReputationRep:
    He may be the older one by age but you're much more mature. You don't need permission to do things without him and it's actually a bit weird for couples to do absolutely everything together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.