Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Under 16 banned from buying energy drink watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Smoking tobacco cigarettes does not make one "high" so a responsible decision by an adult can be made if they want to take more, the same can't be said about heroine. Also tobacco cigarettes must be taken excessively for any substantial health degregation to take place that goes for alcohol as well, sadly the same can't be said for heroine.

Talking about Alcohol, there is already a great deal of regulation on alcohol consumption in the UK such as a limit one can be drunk by on the streets and driving. I for one fully support limiting the amount of alcohol units in drinks to a bare minimum.

Alcohol does get you high.Thats what being drunk is.A different word for a similar feeling.And cigarettes contain nicotine which is not only highly poisonous it's also very addictive.So no an adult can't make a free decision if they are addicted to it.As for heroin it's not all bad.Its a very effective pain killer for instance and is/ was used in certain surgeries.You can't just ban everything that's harmful.You have to educate people about drugs and then if they choose to use them that's their own responsibility.Thats called freedom.And the war on drugs hasn't worked.They tried it in America and prohibition doesn't work

.It would be better to treat addiction like an illness instead of criminalising it.As for merely using drugs I see no harm as long as it doesn't develop into an addiction.A lot of harm from drugs comes from it being criminalized.Its it's criminal to buy drugs then you don't know that the cannabis you are buying is actually cannabis.It could be anything and that's the problem.If it were legal then you could regulate it and know that it really is cannabis you are buying.Also you wouldn't have to consort with criminals to access drugs and risk becoming criminal yourself.The government's blanket all drugs are bad approach is childish and ineffective.Drugs can be bad or good.It depends how you use them.Take paracetamol for example.You take too much of that and your dead but in small does it's effective pain relief.We need an approach to drugs based on rational evidence not on scaremongering or misplaced moral concerns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robby2312)
    so is skiing.you could break a leg.should we ban that too?
    (Original post by drewski)
    false equivalents.

You could ski everyday for the rest of your life and not get injured.

If you drink these everyday for the rest of your life you will suffer.
    thank you!!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by the beer)
    If they don't trust them with a passport why on earth are they letting them buy caffeinated drinks?

Anyway, no ID no sale, that's how it normally works isn't it, whats the problem?
    Because a passport is a rather expensive document an energy drink costs 50p or some such?

Because adults will almost unilaterally be carrying a drivers permit or are more trusted [whether this is deserved is another matter] to carry their passport.

ReputationRep:
    Should coffee be banned as well then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    So is skiing.You could break a leg.Should we ban that too?
    Please don’t start, I didn’t come to TSR for an argument. 🙄
    You could break a leg with skiing, but that’s a risk. I’d take a risk with skiing because either way it’s good for you as in exercise but I wouldn’t take a risk of messing up my behaviour pattern or me having a myocardial infarction (just because I drank a lot of energy drinks that are bad for you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljcrisp)
    Please don’t start, I didn’t come to TSR for an argument. 🙄
    You could break a leg with skiing, but that’s a risk. I’d take a risk with skiing because either way it’s good for you as in exercise but I wouldn’t take a risk of messing up my behaviour pattern or me having a myocardial infarction (just because I drank a lot of energy drinks that are bad for you)

TSR. is for debating if you didn't want an argument you shouldn't comment.
    Energy drinks are only bad for you if you drink copious amounts of them and even then its debatable.There is no reason to ban the sale of energy drinks to under 16's just because some people may drink too many of them.Most people won't drink too many of them.Its a massive overreaction and reeks of the nanny state.You might as well ban under 16's from buying chocolate or sweets because they may eat too much and end up obese.No.Lets use a little common sense.

ReputationRep:
    TSR. is for debating if you didn't want an argument you shouldn't comment.
    Energy drinks are only bad for you if you drink copious amounts of them and even then its debatable.There is no reason to ban the sale of energy drinks to under 16's just because some people may drink too many of them.Most people won't drink too many of them.Its a massive overreaction and reeks of the nanny state.You might as well ban under 16's from buying chocolate or sweets because they may eat too much and end up obese.No.Lets use a little common sense.
    Commented because I had a point and that’s also what TSR is for too I believe.

My point is people are using their common senses by banning them and either way a energy drink can increase heart rate and it effects body mechanisms. It leads to heart diseases which may I say is one of the leading causes of death in the UK for men and women. This is all evidence to prove why they should be banned. Certain energy drinks or all energy drinks in some cases are banned in other countries so as a country we should be grateful (including yourself and myself) to actually have energy drinks since other countries don’t have those privileges.

Just to also point out they used common sense and had evidence to back it as well; more evidence you have the more accurate your opinion is to this debate.

ReputationRep:
    Ps More information can be found in articles when you put the topic in on google ☺️

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason to ban the sale of energy drinks to under 16's just because some people may drink too many of them.Most people won't drink too many of them.Its a massive overreaction and reeks of the nanny state.
    Why should those under 16 have easy access to drugs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFarmerLad)
    Personally think energy drinks are worthless so am happy to see them banned
    They might be worthless to you but they do help others.

ReputationRep:
    There's the equivalent of 13.5 teaspoons of sugar in a single can of Monster - I'm sure most parents would disagree with their child eating copious amounts of pure sugar in one go so why would they let their child have a huge can of energy drink??

Realistically a child under 16 has no need for an energy drink, they go to school from 9 till half 3, it's not like they're doing 12 hour shifts in an active job with no break which is where it comes down to the parents educating their own children. If you teach your child the importance of getting enough sleep, going to bed at a reasonable time and not spending hours scrolling through Facebook every night, the ~need~ for energy drinks reduces significantly. Adults can make their own, informed decisions, child don't have that responsibility, so therefore it's down to the parents to ensure these kids aren't damaging their own health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Yes but what parents trust their 16yr old to walk around with their passport as a matter ofcourse?
    I carried mine to buy cigarettes when I was 16. Provisional driving license is about £20, use the passport to get one of those if not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Because a passport is a rather expensive document an energy drink costs 50p or some such?
    If money is their only concern they'd get more bang for their buck from
    amphetamines.

ReputationRep:
    Silly really. Not the most harmful thing, parents will buy it for them anyway, staff won't bother checking id.

ReputationRep:
    Those drinks are disgusting and should have been banned a long time ago
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think this is very sensible, personally. High levels of caffeine can be really bad for people, and it makes sense to restrict it for young people.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's best if they are just banned altogether. Nothing healthy inside those drinks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by darkforest)
    Eh I'm quite split on this.

I don't really like that everything seems to be so regulated, and now the consumer being told by the retailer that they can't buy a drink because it contains a bit too much sugar and caffeine. When do we know that we've gone too far? What next, are they going to ban kids from buying chocolate unless accompanied by an adult?

But on the other hand, it's a good way to stop young kids guzzling these before and during school and suffering with the rise and fall of a caffeine buzz. In my mind it should be down to the parent though to educate their kids on the dangers of excessive energy drink consumption, not the retailers.

So really it's just a parenting issue. Nothing wrong with an energy drink here and there, but you shouldn't really be letting your child drink them day by day.
    I personally dont drink them but i totally agree.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't we just let people live for once? Pretty sure most 14 year olds can make that decision for themselves

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.