Turn on thread page Beta

You can get a Science degree for £5,650 watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    The University of London will be announcing their plans to a fully fledged undergraduate degree course costing £5,650, apposed to roughly £9,250 for the three years. The course will be taught online and the computer science course will be aimed at part-time and / or working students.

You can read more on the story here.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43288793

What do you make of this? Would you consider studying this course? Do you think other universities should offer this?

ReputationRep:
    Completely online, at home and in your own time.

cool
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Still more expensive than the OU I think? Though I guess you're technically getting a "better" degree out of it, in theory at least. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    It's £5650 per year, need to multiply that by three.

I'm studying with OU, and it's not cheap anymore, i'm paying around £5700 per year (120 credits/year) so a similar price.

ReputationRep:
    there is no reason why 1 year home study courses could not be offered; they could be called Diplomas rather than degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    The University of London will be announcing their plans to a fully fledged undergraduate degree course costing £5,650, apposed to roughly £27,750 for the three years.
    Get the numbers right:

The University of London is to announce a fully fledged undergraduate degree course completely taught online for £5,650 per year
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Get the numbers right:
    What's the magic word....

ReputationRep:
    What's the magic word....
    "No BSc for you"?

ReputationRep:
    The University of London will be announcing their plans to a fully fledged undergraduate degree course costing £5,650, apposed to roughly £9,250 for the three years. The course will be taught online and the computer science course will be aimed at part-time and / or working students.

You can read more on the story here.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-43288793

What do you make of this? Would you consider studying this course? Do you think other universities should offer this?
    What's new here? UoL international do this already? Anyone know if you can get a tuition fee loan? I think it will end in failure if not.

ReputationRep:
    What like Western Governors University?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I don't see a reason for more unis not to offer this; the OU already does so in a successful manner, so the precedent was already there.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd totally consider it, computing skills will be needed more and more going forward
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is not news - the University of London has offered this online Computer Science degree since 1992! UoL/Goldsmiths wanted free advertisement, and the BBC fell for it!

(Original post by Dez)
    Still more expensive than the OU I think? Though I guess you're technically getting a "better" degree out of it, in theory at least. :beard:
    Nope, it is a bit cheaper, but not much.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t get how online degrees work
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone on this website who considers online university education to be superior to traditional university education, then?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    Is there anyone on this website who considers online university education to be superior to traditional university education, then?
    Not superior, but not inferior either.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.