Turn on thread page Beta

Annoying Asian Parents watch

Announcements

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, I appreciate the fact that they have given me food and shelter and have been working hard just to make sure I am comfortable. But sometimes they say things I hate and are extremely strict. For example, my mum told me 'if you don't do the chores everyday you will get beaten up by your in laws' and I'm only 16. My dad on the other hand, is also very sexist and stereotypical as he always says things like daughters do the housework which really gets me angry because my brothers have earphones on 24/7, listening to music but still, they're not told to do a single thing. But I have so much pressure coming from my academic life, I have to study for my a levels, revise for my theory, and on top of that I have to do chores, drop my sister of to school, pick her up and take her to mosque,my brothers are never asked to do these things. My mum monitors everything I do. She checks my phone, she compares me with other people, forces me to be someone I'm not, verbally abuses me, doesn't let me go out with friends, doesn't let me listen to music, calls me lazy when I've got so much pressure from studies, back bites about me to her friends and then wonders why I don't like being in front of them. I'm not allowed to listen to music but my brothers can, you could all probably work out why, she even makes sure my t-shirts are not too short, checking the size in detail. She even says things about my friends like 'Somalians dont dress right' without even seeing my friend and knowing her, she says racist things like this and wants me to be friends with people of the same ethnicity as me. Has anyone got parents like this and if you do how do you stop them from getting on your nerves??

Take it as a lesson, you know how not to treat your children.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by starfab)
    Take it as a lesson, you know how not to treat your children.
    Yess I don’t want to bring up my kids the way my parents brought me up

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Yess I don’t want to bring up my kids the way my parents brought me up
    Yeah you hav eto learn the perfect balance of not being too strict and not giving 100% freedom. Moderate.

My parents aren't quite as strict as that, but act somewhat similar. I get that it can be really annoying and i felt exactly the same as how you do right now for a while. It took me ages to realise that they're probably not going to change. No matter how much you break down in front of them and no matter how much you tell them that they're wrong, it'll only make them feel like they're "failures" and will make you feel guilty for disrespecting them. The way i deal with it, is that I remind myself that it's the best they can do. They think that the way they're parenting is the only way they know how and they feel it's best for you. It's all they know and most of the time, even if it seems like it, they won't understand where you're coming from. That doesn't make it that much better, but it stops you from feeling like crap when they say/ do things you don't agree with. Sorry for the rant btw

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.