Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys! I have recently graduated from a top 10 RG Uni with a first class degree. My module breakdown is as follows;

First Year (2:1 - Scraped it got like 59.something)

Modules were; 71, 64, 57, 56, 55, 54

Second Year (2:1)

Modules were; 44, 64,65, 71, 73, 74

Third Year (1st)

Modules were; 72, 73, 74, 80, 77, 77

I did (against all odds) turn my degree around in my final year and come out with a first class degree. However, the scattered marks across my first year and one module in second year has somewhat weakened my application.

With the upcoming training contract cycle what are my chances of securing a training contract? I am currently on a year abroad, however I want to ideally start my LPC this year.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I understand that my grades will put me out of the running for US/MC firms so I am more than open to the idea of working in a SC/City firm.

Although, I would not want to secure just "any" training contract, and do not really have any interest in "high street" firms. My main ambition is city/regional.

The firms I really kind of aspire to be at are like HSF, Norton Rose, Pinsents, Eversheds, Gowling, DLA??

What are my chances at those? Can I aim higher or do I need to look lower?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You should probably post this in Legal. This is an academic law forum.

ReputationRep:
    Grades are only a fraction of an application. It’s impossible for someone to tell you what your chances are just based on this information alone.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    You should probably post this in Legal. This is an academic law forum.
    Hi!

Sorry, I am not all too familiar with all the different forums! How do I move it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Grades are only a fraction of an application. It’s impossible for someone to tell you what your chances are just based on this information alone.
    Hi, thanks for your response.

I guess what I really want to know is, will these grades suffice for said firms providing that everything else is up to scratch; application, experience, dedication?

I notice you are an ex-recruiter, if you do not mind me asking, if I applied to your firm with said grades and had a good application as well what would be my chances or progressing to an interview, AC?

I do appreciate grades only make up a small part, but I am slightly concerned whether these grades will leave me without a chance to impress at a later stage, interviews etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talullah399)
    Hi, thanks for your response.

I guess what I really want to know is, will these grades suffice for said firms providing that everything else is up to scratch; application, experience, dedication?

I notice you are an ex-recruiter, if you do not mind me asking, if I applied to your firm with said grades and had a good application as well what would be my chances or progressing to an interview, AC?

I do appreciate grades only make up a small part, but I am slightly concerned whether these grades will leave me without a chance to impress at a later stage, interviews etc?
    There’s no straight answer on this.

It depends which firm

It depends what modules these results are in

It depends on what the rest of your academics are like.

But have I recruited people with “worse” module grades than that, yes. Have I rejected people with better grades than that, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There’s no straight answer on this.

It depends which firm - SC/Regional/City

It depends what modules these results are in - Lowest module was Equitable Remedies and Trusts

It depends on what the rest of your academics are like. - 380 UCAS points - below average GCSEs
    Would you suggest doing a masters, some say it is a waste of time, as it does not "ease" the downfalls in a degree. Also, are modules really looked at in much light, considering I have a first overall?

ReputationRep:
    Would you suggest doing a masters, some say it is a waste of time, as it does not "ease" the downfalls in a degree. Also, are modules really looked at in much light, considering I have a first overall?
    No. I generally don’t recommend doing a masters unless you want to for your personal interest or if you are going into a niche area of law that requires it (eg human rights).

In some instances, some modules will still be looked at more closely. Tends to be the core modules like contract. But some firms won’t care, especially if there is strength elsewhere in your application.

But you are trying to get a “one size fits all answer” here. It doesn’t exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    No. I generally don’t recommend doing a masters unless you want to for your personal interest or if you are going into a niche area of law that requires it (eg human rights).

In some instances, some modules will still be looked at more closely. Tends to be the core modules like contract. But some firms won’t care, especially if there is strength elsewhere in your application.

But you are trying to get a “one size fits all answer” here. It doesn’t exist.
    I have a high 2:1 in contract thankfully

Would you say its worth me applying to MC/US firms then and seeing what happens? I guess at the end of the will only get a rejection so I suppose is worth the try.

Thanks for your advice thus far JSP, I greatly appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I have a high 2:1 in contract thankfully

Would you say its worth me applying to MC/US firms then and seeing what happens? I guess at the end of the will only get a rejection so I suppose is worth the try.

Thanks for your advice thus far JSP, I greatly appreciate it.
    You’ve got to be in it to win it. Nothing you have said makes me think you will definitely strike out. But even if you did “strike out” it could easily be something else outside of your academics that is the reason for that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely start your LPC without funding. You're definitely going to make it, firms will see you have motivation if you go for the LPC. I really think you have what it takes. Also do a masters too if possible to prove your motivation for a legal career. Yes, it will cost you upwards of 50-60k including living expenses, but some things in life require sacrifice. I think you seem willing to sacrifice a lot for your goals - achieve your dreams, I believe in you.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.