Turn on thread page Beta

What medical schools weight BMAT/UKAT or personal statement over GCSEs?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    I suggest you do your reading. For medicine, Birmingham's Medicine website states they place a 70:30 weighting on GCSEKCAT as quoted from the website.

Spoiler:
    Show

Selection for interview

Before you apply and to help you make an informed decision, we have created an interview calculator tool. By entering your GCSEs, A Levels and UKCAT, this tool allows you to see if you are likely to be interviewed for our Medicine and Surgery programme. Please note that this tool is a guide only. To find out more, please visit your personal undergraduate page.
    • Our A Level / IB requirements are described below.
    • An application will receive an overall score, which is the sum of weighted scores for each of the academic and UKCAT components (see below for a description of how each component is generated). The weightings will be: academic – 70%; UKCAT – 30%. Applicants will be ranked according to this score. Applications from graduates (see below) and those classified as international for fees (see below) will not be scored.
    • The number of interview places will define the threshold application score but it is not possible to determine the threshold score in advance. It may be necessary to rank applicants who receive the same threshold score, in which case we will use GCSE results (using the criteria defined below).
    • The personal statement is not scored but a decision will also be based on ensuring that an applicant provides sufficient evidence of commitment, motivation and relevant personal qualities (see “Preparing to apply for Medicine”).

Thankyou but I wasn’t planning to apply to Oxford or Birmingham.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    if you have bad gcse's dont bother with oxford, your chances are heavily reduced and no matter where you go you become a doctor. happy?
    I wasn’t going to bother with Oxford I was using this as an example, I’m worried about getting into any medical school I’m not bothered where I go but I was wondering where I have the best chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Oh hun quoting from the website is great but you need to actually read it too. Academic does not = GCSEs. As I’ve said time and again GCSEs are considered contextually as per the website.
    I am not planning to apply to Birmingham I was just using it as an example of how they weight their applicants, I don’t know everything about applying for medicine that’s why I’m asking !!! I’ve read all the requirements to all the unis but I was wondering how they weight their applicants and that’s what I’m asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandraxx1)
    I wasn’t going to bother with Oxford I was using this as an example, I’m worried about getting into any medical school I’m not bothered where I go but I was wondering where I have the best chances?
    What exactly are your GCSEs ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    MezmorisedPotato

Oh hun! Quoting from the website is great but you need to actually read and understand it. Academic doesn’t = GCSEs and as I’ve said again and again they’re considered contextually. If they were 70% of the application A levels wouldn’t matter and there’d be specific requirements. Anyway I think this discussion is just getting silly now and the OP knows what they have to do.

ReputationRep:
    Oh hun quoting from the website is great but you need to actually read it too. Academic does not = GCSEs. As I’ve said time and again GCSEs are considered contextually as per the website.
    You yourself have read the website well. However, you've not read the website to great detail. You've simply read the first page for requirements and not even looked at the score calculator. If you scroll down from the requirements, you can see the score from GCSE and UKCAT weightings are added together. You also see examples of where this apply.
    Furthermore, you will see when using the calculator that the ONLY factor that influences the score IS your GCSE score and UKCAT scores. This is what is given priority. The do look at other factors, but again this isn't priority to be invited to interview. There is also a cutoff for entry too.

I applied here this year and I have studied the requirements properly before applying. I have been to open days, where this has been mentioned explicitly.

So yes this is an established fact if you've read around the requirements, and also attending open days by the organisers of the course.

This discussion isn't getting silly either, I'm just disproving your point so that nobody who decides to read this thread is mislead.

ReputationRep:
    This is slightly outdated, but is a good starting point for looking at which unis may be good ones to apply to
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...your_Strengths

ReputationRep:
    People with terrible GCSEs get into Oxford with otherwise strong applications and people with great GCSEs don't get in because of otherwise weak applications.

I don't have the time to help someone who asks the same thing again and again without doing their research and with no interest in listening to the answer unless it's what they want to hear. Otherwise we help loads of students daily and will carry on doing so. By all means feel free to help yourself. Good luck!
    You haven't really answered the OP's question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandraxx1)
    As said before, do not apply to unis that are GCSE heavy, such as Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are taken contextually and not really part of the admissions requirements.
    What the others have said is correct. Not sure where you're getting your information from.

GCSEs are DEFINITELY part of the admissions requirements and make up selection processes for interviews. They are various unis like Cardiff and Birmingham where GCSEs are weighed very heavily in order to choose applicants for interviews. There ARE also some med schools where GCSEs are not considered as heavily such as Exeter where you only need to meet the minimum entry requirements and it is not looked again. This is what the OP was asking.

I have no idea if you are thinking about another course but it is certainly not medicine. GCSEs matter.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by GrandMedic)
    What the others have said is correct. Not sure where you're getting your information from.

GCSEs are DEFINITELY part of the admissions requirements and make up selection processes for interviews. They are various unis like Cardiff and Birmingham where GCSEs are weighed very heavily in order to choose applicants for interviews. There ARE also some med schools where GCSEs are not considered as heavily such as Exeter where you only need to meet the minimum entry requirements and it is not looked again. This is what the OP was asking.

I have no idea if you are thinking about another course but it is certainly not medicine. GCSEs matter.
    You may want to read through the thread and the context of my replies.

Ps:- I work for a medical school and have done for years so yes I’m aware of medical school processes

ReputationRep:
    You may want to read through the thread and the context of my replies.

Ps:- I work for a medical school and have done for years so yes I’m aware of medical school processes
    I read the entire thread before I replied. You seem to be suggesting that Birmingham do not weigh GCSEs past the entry requirements which is simply false.

The fact is GCSEs are considered by a lot of med schools whether it be 50:50 with the UKCAT such as Leciester or 33:33:33 with UKCAT and A-Level predictions like UEA.

So I would recommend to the OP to apply smart if they have poor GCSE results- but it's definitely possible!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I read the entire thread before I replied. You seem to be suggesting that Birmingham do not weigh GCSEs past the entry requirements which is simply false.

The fact is GCSEs are considered by a lot of med schools whether it be 50:50 with the UKCAT such as Leciester or 33:33:33 with UKCAT and A-Level predictions like UEA.

So I would recommend to the OP to apply smart if they have poor GCSE results- but it's definitely possible!
    Nope that really isn't what I said. I said GCSEs are considered contextuallyi.e as part of the whole application. And that is the case at most if not all medical schools. No medical school is going to simply ignore one part of the application but equally they aren't going to make a decision based on one part of the application, particularly not GCSEs which you will have done a few years ago and are not a specific part of the entry requirements (some unis need at least a B/C in GCSE maths and English though). I advised the OP to apply strategically based on their profile as well which is our standard response for medical school applicants. Anyway I think when people go back and do their research and read through the info provided a few times they will work it out.

PS:- MezmorisedPotato FYI above. Also, yes I have read about the calculator but as you have said yourself in your post above that is part of the selection process and not the entry requirements. Put it this way, if I applied with an A level prediction of BBB but 7 A*s at GCSE I wouldn't even be considered because the A levels are an entry requirement but if I applied with A*A*A* predictions but only ok GCSEs I may be considered based on factors such as scoring, spaces available, other applicants, context of school and any other circumstances that affect my application. That is why I've said several times apply strategically.

ReputationRep:
    Nope that really isn't what I said. I said GCSEs are considered contextuallyi.e as part of the whole application. And that is the case at most if not all medical schools. No medical school is going to simply ignore one part of the application but equally they aren't going to make a decision based on one part of the application, particularly not GCSEs which you will have done a few years ago and are not a specific part of the entry requirements (some unis need at least a B/C in GCSE maths and English though). I advised the OP to apply strategically based on their profile as well which is our standard response for medical school applicants. Anyway I think when people go back and do their research and read through the info provided a few times they will work it out.
    Well that's okay then .

I think the main thing people questioned was when you said that GCSEs are not part of entry requirements but having applied, I can assure that most med schools specify that you need a certain number of A's (in Maths, English, sciences) while others specify that 5 A*s-C is sufficient. But they are there. Also you stated that Birmingham do not use GCSEs and it doesn't form part of their requirement which as stated by a couple of others is not right.

Anyway good luck to the OP. I hope things have been cleared up now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Well that's okay then .

I think the main thing people questioned was when you said that GCSEs are not part of entry requirements but having applied, I can assure that most med schools specify that you need a certain number of A's (in Maths, English, sciences) while others specify that 5 A*s-C is sufficient. But they are there. Also you stated that Birmingham do not use GCSEs and it doesn't form part of their requirement which as stated by a couple of others is not right.

Anyway good luck to the OP. I hope things have been cleared up now
    The main problem is that you and others here who are applicants/students find it difficult not to confuse terminology sometimes and that's what causes people panic and confusion. An entry requirement is very different from what is considered as part of an application and how so it always pays to check, do your research and make sure you fully understand what the requirements are and how your circumstances may be considered. Also bear in mind that you are one applicant in one year but the context of applications changes year on year based on a number of factors such as people's grades, how many people apply etc.

ReputationRep:
    The main problem is that you and others here who are applicants/students find it difficult not to confuse terminology sometimes and that's what causes people panic and confusion. An entry requirement is very different from what is considered as part of an application and how so it always pays to check, do your research and make sure you fully understand what the requirements are and how your circumstances may be considered.
    Based on current actual experience for hopefully obvious reasons I can say that Cardiff, Leeds and Birmingham are GCSE heavy. And I know Oxford and Edinburgh are too. For lots of others it is significant, but not as much. For some it doesn't matter hardly at all. This info is easily available with moderate digging on TSR and things like Medic Portal. My only tip is to treat what the unis say with some caution. Just because you MAY get an interview, does not mean you WILL.

Cardiff. You need 8 A* and and A (26 points in their system). Further Maths GCSE is excluded.
    Birmingham. Don't apply if you score less than 8, preferably 9. They heavily score English Lit and Lang - a real killer for some. You need above average UKCAT in reality. A lot of people were quite disappointed this year as they thought scoring 7 was an interview - it was not a given by a long chalk.
    Leeds. You will seriously struggle with less than 36 points. Pretty much needs at least 6 A* and 3 A. I would suggest 7+ A* to get to interview unless you have a BMAT score of over 5. If you have a BMAT less than 5 then really you need mostly A*'s. They score 9.
    Edinburgh. The feeling is that you need 38 points if you are from England. You must get SJT Band 1 and a UKCAT of over 700plus 8 A*.
    Oxford. Basically all A*, and probably at least 9.

This is not to say no-one else gets in, but this is a percentage game. And the objective is getting interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    I suggest you do your reading. For medicine, Birmingham's Medicine website states they place a 70:30 weighting on GCSE: UKCAT as quoted from the website.
    Again this doesn't guarantee anybody an interview or an offer. What you are saying is what is misleading.
    Furthermore, if you delve further into the website, they detail how the points are assigned and how many points the GCSE and UKCAT scores are assigned. The score calculator is also another good tool to check this.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Selection for interview

Before you apply and to help you make an informed decision, we have created an interview calculator tool. By entering your GCSEs, A Levels and UKCAT, this tool allows you to see if you are likely to be interviewed for our Medicine and Surgery programme. Please note that this tool is a guide only. To find out more, please visit your personal undergraduate page.
    • Our A Level / IB requirements are described below.
    • An application will receive an overall score, which is the sum of weighted scores for each of the academic and UKCAT components (see below for a description of how each component is generated). The weightings will be: academic – 70%; UKCAT – 30%. Applicants will be ranked according to this score. Applications from graduates (see below) and those classified as international for fees (see below) will not be scored.
    • The number of interview places will define the threshold application score but it is not possible to determine the threshold score in advance. It may be necessary to rank applicants who receive the same threshold score, in which case we will use GCSE results (using the criteria defined below).
    • The personal statement is not scored but a decision will also be based on ensuring that an applicant provides sufficient evidence of commitment, motivation and relevant personal qualities (see “Preparing to apply for Medicine”).

Hi there, I just want to ask is there anybody familiar with the admission process with international applicants? I have IGCSE instead of GCSE, which surely will change the way they consider my application..

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.