The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science? Good/Bad?

Scroll to see replies

I did my Science GCSE in the summer and the people that did triple science did the papers as well as their first section or something. We had to get 90% for an A* and 80% for an A which was ridiculous.
Oh that means I did worse than I thought! Lol I was something like 4 UMS marks off an A* and was really annoyed. Wish they gave us the marks and actual percentage.
I'm doing double so I did my Science GCSE last summer and this summer I'm taking my Additional Science. So do the UMS marks mean that your percentage was lower than the UMS marks out of 100? How strange, I would have thought it would have been easy just to give your percentage but what do I know eh.
All modular subjects use it. It's used to differentiate between higher and foundation tier candidates, so that they're put on the same scale. In other words, everything you do is put on the 'same scale' including your terminal paper; so that everything is fair. They do it because little stupid kids bug the exam board for remarks saying "Omg, 'tis not fair, the paper was well hard."
joanne_xoxo
Ooh okay.

I don't think I like the idea that your grade depends on how well others do.

I suppose you could end up doing far better though, if everyone else does badly, but that's the only advantage I can see with it.

It's fantastic if you're a hard-working or a high-achiever, especially if you're aiming for maximum marks, remember, most people doing the exams are slackers/chavs or can't be bothered. So yeah, if you're talking about today's teenage GCSE society :rolleyes: then obviously it's great!
shabanrauf
unfortunately i didn't get triple scinece bu the advatage is that lets say:

ur not so good at chemistry and u get a B,

but u can make up for it becasue u could get an A* in physics and bilogy

but with double science, becasue the paper is a mixture of chemistry physics, bilogy and chemistry if you are not so good at one of them then it can have an effect on your overall score. triple science is much better but ofcourse it means u don't get another option choice!

Double science papers are not a mixture of chemistry, physics & biology, you take a seperate paper for each.
jelly1000
Double science papers are not a mixture of chemistry, physics & biology, you take a seperate paper for each.

Yeah, but you get one overall grade at the end, regardless if you did fantastic in your Biology or poorly in your Physics. Well, that's if you're doing Add and Core Science.
Reply 47
Oh right I understand now..
Is anyone here doing Edexcel Triple science?
Reply 48
Jinxy
Oh right I understand now..
Is anyone here doing Edexcel Triple science?

I am. :smile: How are you finding it?

Biology is soo boring (all the behaviour stuff, etc :s-smilie: ).
Anyway, I'm quite worried 'cause we're not getting much done and our teacher doesn't explain the stuff very well :s-smilie: ). Is it all down to a final exam in June?
Reply 49
Jinxy

BTW - Just wanted to ask, for medicine.. Do they take preference over triple science as aposed to double. I am aware some schools don't offer triple so wouldn't that be unfair?

Nope. :smile:
Reply 50
If you do badly in the june exam [it accounts for 30% of your overall mark which is a lot] It will drag your say, A* down to an A or B. We only get one chance at the triple exam and I have no idea what style the questions are so that does worry me.

I guess we can only try our best and hope for good marks!!

oh, and I am finding triple okay because thankfully we have good teachers. I feel sorry for you if your teacher isn't so great..I guess you got a lot of revision to do at home if your teacher isn't good. :frown:

by the look of your predicted grades I am sure you will be okay. :smile: good luck!!

Oh and, what subjects are you doing for A level? [assuming your going onto further education if your in triple science!!]
Reply 51
Ooo that's quite nasty - that our grade depends on one final exam. :s-smilie: I don't know what they're like either. I hope there are many practice papers to do. You think they'll be more "fact-learning" or applying knowledge (like the internally assessed testy things)?

Next year I'll probably be doing Chemistry, Physics, ICT, Maths, and don't know about Further Maths (need to get informed about it, like how is it different to normal Maths, how hard is it, etc).

What about you? :smile:
Reply 52
Ah, I see!
I think it's a bit of both to be honest [knowing the facts and applying knowledge] after all it is triple and they want you to be able to demonstrate a range of skills. I love internal exams I find them so easy..Although in triple we don't do any internal exams it's all external exams :frown:

Next year i'm doing Chemistry; Biology; Physics & English Literature. :smile: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't know much about further maths..except some uni's won't accept it along with normal maths A level, they don't count them as two seperate A levels so if i were you i'd check that out a bit more..Are you thinking of going to uni?
Reply 53
Ye I'll be going to uni definately, but there's still a long way to go. :p:
Reply 54
Yup. Years! :p: :p:
Reply 55
billet-doux
I'm sure for dual science you still do 3 papers in Chemistry, Biology & Physics, but the content is less. But yeah, if you aren't good at one it will have an effect on the other.

Hi

I just wanted to know what the diffrence is between double science and triple science? Could you please help me out??:woo:

Reply 56
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
i dont get why you need to know the grade boundaries... knowing what they are isn;t going to affect your performance in the exam, surely you should just do the best you can!

and the grade boundaries are going to depend on the exam board, and will vary slightly for each individual paper... the easiest way to find out is probably to just ask you teacher

well it does seem to make a differene cus then we can atleast now what we r aiming for....
Reply 57
yeah triple rocks looool
go for it :smile:
Reply 58
I chose triple science because it is one of the most rewarding options to take. Everyone taking it, finds it brutal and I am having 8 hours of science a week but when you talk to the people doing core science and your knowledge is much more, you realise that it is worth it. Also in terms of medicine, it definitely prepares you for the competitive world of applying to higher education as you are in a class with some of the best students in your year.
When I did triple back in '09 the grade boundaries for the 'triple only' modules were between 55-65% for an A in Chemistry/Physics and 65-75% for an A in biology!

Quick Reply

Latest