Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to know (particularly from students with autism spectrum / mental health conditions etc, but anyone is welcome to respond). How are the Lecturer Strikes affecting you?. Has your university been supportive? Have they made any attempts to help with the sudden change to routine? etc.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Azaelia;76448828]Hi everyone,

I'd like to know (particularly from students with autism spectrum / mental health conditions etc, but anyone is welcome to respond). How are the Lecturer Strikes affecting you?. Has your university been supportive? Have they made any attempts to help with the sudden change to routine? etc.[/QU

Hello, I've just returned (in February) from a leave of absence due to poor mental health and the strikes are having a significant impact on me. Especially since my university is refusing to offer support on non strike days and I have no one to check my understanding of the content with. It's been very stressful and I'm struggling to maintain a positive attitude. I have considered giving up many times the last few weeks, but so far - I've managed to avoid the dark hole. I've hardly left the house since the strikes and each day my world is getting smaller and smaller the more stressed I become. My shoulders and jaw are so tense it hurts a lot. I'm having trouble sleeping and focusing on my reading is a challenge. I know that when it's time to go back to uni - I will struggle to integrate/participate. It was hard enough joining a new year group as a mature student, it will be much harder to go back mid semester. I was all for the strikes to begin with, but I'm losing sympathy with lecturers for the lack of support they are offering to us. I don't think it's fair that they are allowed to mess with our futures to save their own. It's a very sad and damaging situation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Azaelia)
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to know (particularly from students with autism spectrum / mental health conditions etc, but anyone is welcome to respond). How are the Lecturer Strikes affecting you?. Has your university been supportive? Have they made any attempts to help with the sudden change to routine? etc.
    I'm with the OU so not much has been affected, though some students have said their tutors are not so easily available and it's causing them a lot of stress. My tutor says she's available if I need her. I think results are coming back a little later.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just my university that have made no allowances to help with the change of routine then
    I'm finding that even on the non-strike days, I can't get hold of lecturers. I think some have taken off the whole month, like its a holiday. I was supposed to be presenting some work this week, no one has heard from the tutor since before reading week. No one will tell us If the presentations will be re scheduled or when that could happen. I need some help before its ready too.

Charlie1539, I'm worried about anxiety too. This interruption has got me worried about when the strikes all over and its time to go back. I was doing okay (as good as I can be) before all this.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    charlie1539 see above.

Really feeling for everyone affected in this way. Though it's not my condition I have been worried for those with social anxiety. Keep being great all of you.:heart: If anyone is bored or lonely at some point, just drop me a PM.:yep:

MR

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't get worse. I was unable to submit my draft chapter (finalist here) on time, because for the past months I have had a number of events that left me physically barely walking. I'm in the long process of diagnosis and exclusion of either MS or a potential stroke. My grandmother died very quickly in September, and she was more of a mother to me than my own mother. My grandfather in response had a failed attempt at taking his own life, and when I found that I remember I was sitting on a chair at university. I had a rush of blood in my head, and I ended up at A& E that day.

I had very bad support from the GP with my mental health. I fell rock bottom into the worst depression I could have ever imagined, I was put on yet another type of anti-depressant in January, told the GP would check on me the following week, that never happened. I was seen by a mental health facilitator, who reffered me to a psychiatrist. The moment I started talking about what was going on with me, and how I was dealing with my grandmother's death, I just froze on the chair and was mentally absent for about 5 minutes. My appointment with my psychiatrist is in JULY.

The strikes literally started just as I sumbitted the only part of my draft chapter from my dissertation that I was able to complete. Because of that, I was not (and will not be) provided with any feedback until I have already submitted my work.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LaMandarine)
    Couldn't get worse. I was unable to submit my draft chapter (finalist here) on time, because for the past months I have had a number of events that left me physically barely walking. I'm in the long process of diagnosis and exclusion of either MS or a potential stroke. My grandmother died very quickly in September, and she was more of a mother to me than my own mother. My grandfather in response had a failed attempt at taking his own life, and when I found that I remember I was sitting on a chair at university. I had a rush of blood in my head, and I ended up at A& E that day.

I had very bad support from the GP with my mental health. I fell rock bottom into the worst depression I could have ever imagined, I was put on yet another type of anti-depressant in January, told the GP would check on me the following week, that never happened. I was seen by a mental health facilitator, who reffered me to a psychiatrist. The moment I started talking about what was going on with me, and how I was dealing with my grandmother's death, I just froze on the chair and was mentally absent for about 5 minutes. My appointment with my psychiatrist is in JULY.

The strikes literally started just as I sumbitted the only part of my draft chapter from my dissertation that I was able to complete. Because of that, I was not (and will not be) provided with any feedback until I have already submitted my work.
    The wait between psych appointments is ages unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    It's dreadful. I've had one hour of contact a week for the only seminar taker who who isn't on strike. My other two modules are complex modules that ideally require teaching - criminal law is more straightforward than cognitive psychology, but some parts are still complex in a way that they need explaining by someone instead of a book.

I've not been offered any support to help with these strikes and I'm at a complete loss. I've gone to uni the last few Thursdays and tried to work in the library, but I'm so out of routine all I can think is that I should be sat in a lecture or a seminar and end up reading online news instead of going through powerpoints etc.

I'm Autistic and have an anxiety disorder for which I take antidepressants. Although I knew there was a likelihood of strikes, none of my lecturers or seminar takers have been informing us they are participating in strikes until the day before. It's not just affected my uni life, my learning, but I'm forgetting things that I wouldn't normally, and I keep forgetting to take my medication, which is leaving me highly strung and having panic attacks all over the place, and spending money that I should be saving.

I am genuinely concerned that exam season is going to be a nightmare. I averaged 62% in semester one, I can't see me repeating it in semester two.

Thankfully my academic adviser is having drop-in hours on Monday, so I can allay some of my fears to him.

ReputationRep:
    I have Aspergers and the strikes are affecting me. Probably not as detrimental as they could, but yes, they are.

1. University faculty are difficult to get in contact with.
    2. I can't get a Dissertation Supervisor which is stressing me out.
    3. Ignoring emails.
    4. My support for Maths keeps getting cancelled!

It's frustrating to be honest, the lack of accountability is an issue. I have built up a lot of resentment towards some lecturers as I do feel that they can answer my emails on Non-strike days!

I find it to be quite rude, to ignore my emails anyway.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.