Turn on thread page Beta

Can I defer first year after repeating it ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I'll start with a background about me before I ask my question.

I had alway one of the top students since I started school and had it instilled in me from a young age, mostly by my teachers but also by my folka that I was very talented and should apply for Oxbridge or Ivy League.

Well I did reasonably well with my GCSES getting 10 As but that's when my mental health began to decline. I got diagnosed with schizophrenia after having a pyschotic episode at school, my grades started to slip and my condition deteriorated to the point that I had to spend almost a year in a pysch ward.

Needless to say A levels took a year longer than they should have and the kid who was expected to ace every subject them got an A,B,B .

I got a place at Royal Holloway to study History. My first year went reasonably well until I started missing classes during my second term and ended up failing one of modules. For some reason or the other I decided not to resist first year as I felt the stress of second year might be too much to take.

Over the summer my mental health got worse and it got to the point that I no longer knew felt like the same person and could barely function. I stopped taking my medication and deliberately or indelibrately started to ignore my mental health.

Fast forward to November and I had had a complete mental breakdown, started to miss my classes.

By January I had attempted to commit suicide by hanging myself against a shower railing. That didn't work but I was still in denial and did not want to to admitt that how serious my condition had become.

It took another suicide attempt in March to realise how badly I needed help. By now I was lagging behind on my coursework and had missed two deadlines.

Anyway I've finally come to the conclusion after speaking to my GP and pyschatrist that I should stop my studies and according to them get committed again.

Now I don't what the uni policy is but I believe that I will not be allowed to resist again.

Before I talk to my departure I wanted to ask over here if I might be allowed to defer for a year and come back in September considering that I'm repeating first year.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Umz13)
    Hi,

So I'll start with a background about me before I ask my question.

I had alway one of the top students since I started school and had it instilled in me from a young age, mostly by my teachers but also by my folka that I was very talented and should apply for Oxbridge or Ivy League.

Well I did reasonably well with my GCSES getting 10 As but that's when my mental health began to decline. I got diagnosed with schizophrenia after having a pyschotic episode at school, my grades started to slip and my condition deteriorated to the point that I had to spend almost a year in a pysch ward.

Needless to say A levels took a year longer than they should have and the kid who was expected to ace every subject them got an A,B,B .

I got a place at Royal Holloway to study History. My first year went reasonably well until I started missing classes during my second term and ended up failing one of modules. For some reason or the other I decided not to resist first year as I felt the stress of second year might be too much to take.

Over the summer my mental health got worse and it got to the point that I no longer knew felt like the same person and could barely function. I stopped taking my medication and deliberately or indelibrately started to ignore my mental health.

Fast forward to November and I had had a complete mental breakdown, started to miss my classes.

By January I had attempted to commit suicide by hanging myself against a shower railing. That didn't work but I was still in denial and did not want to to admitt that how serious my condition had become.

It took another suicide attempt in March to realise how badly I needed help. By now I was lagging behind on my coursework and had missed two deadlines.

Anyway I've finally come to the conclusion after speaking to my GP and pyschatrist that I should stop my studies and according to them get committed again.

Now I don't what the uni policy is but I believe that I will not be allowed to resist again.

Before I talk to my departure I wanted to ask over here if I might be allowed to defer for a year and come back in September considering that I'm repeating first year.
    Hi

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Just to clarify you are asking after failing first year and them telling you to resit, then its the resit year you wish to defer?

That would be up to RH.

Imo though your mental health is 100 times more important.

RH isn't in the elites of universities and you still have full funding for a degree elsewhere. You could easily just decide to leave and then when you get better apply elsewhere. You could even apply back to RH.

I would probably do that so I had a fresh start rather than be worried about trying to preserve something, unless ofc you wish to keep it.

If you want to suspend studies, then get a letter form your GP, see welfare services/ MH and your tutor. they either say yay or nay. I dont think it much matters as the seriousness of your MH would mean they can suspend indefinitely.

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/staf...ms-online.aspx
    https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/ecam...erruption.aspx

I think you want a suspension rather than an interruption. Interruption seems to indicate a return time. I think you should just get better.

If you feel you underperformed in A levels resit.

GL and hope the sectioning gives you the opportunity to rethink and get well. Must be in a bad place and not the person you want to be doing such serious self harming , so hope you make peace and start supporting yourself. RH really doesnt matter.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.