ReputationRep:
    You'll need to find someone else
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    You'll need to find someone else
    I never would have guessed that!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start with the very obvious because it can be easy to forget things when you're stressed:

Have you checked he's still at the uni?
    Is your uni striking? If so, the lecturers have a backlog of stuff to do and only two days a week to do it in so it might take longer than usual to reply.

If you've left it say a couple of weeks, sent a reminder email and still had no reply then it looks like they're not happy to provide a reference for you, and there is no requirement for them to do so.

Have you confirmed with the business school they need a reference if you graduated from the same uni? You could try something along the lines of: I have tried asking Professor Y for a reference but have not yet received a response. Before I ask alternative lectures I wanted to check I needed to provide a reference given that my undergrad was completed at Uni X. I am happy for you to view my undergrad file if that is an acceptable alternative.

If they insist you need a reference, your options are:

Ask another lecturer. They won't know you, they'll write something bland and unhelpful, but it'll tick the reference box.
    And/or ask one of the university welfare officers or someone else who was supporting you at the time to also write a reference explaining the circumstances around your degree.

Universities know that references can be tough. I have found they are more willing to be forgiving when you say "You asked for X, I had trouble getting it so I've given you Y" than just saying it's not possible.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Get to work then
    Why are you even commenting? If you’ve not got anything nice to say, don’t say it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaWhite2018)
    Hi, when I was at uni I was dealing with domestic violence for my final two years and in my third year it peaked, my partner got arrested and the university found out. It was the time my dissertation was due and final assignments/performances (music degree) so I was in such a state on my final performance and failed it. The lecturers knew that I was struggling with the assault and my mental health. Anyway, I appealed and got my appeal approved yet my dissertation tutor and the person who I spoke to about my problems tried to get my appeal cancelled because I stayed with my partner and he approached me whilst I was waiting for my welfare meeting in the university saying i shouldn’t resit my module as it wouldn’t get me the 2:1 in my degree. So I resat, and weirdly got two marks less than what would have bumped my agree to a 2:1.

We were on fine terms when I resat my module yet I’ve asked him for a reference and he’s not replying? What can I do?

I don’t want to ask any of the other lecturers as I didn’t know them. Is there anyone else I can ask? I’m going back to the same uni as I did my undergrad so should I ask to speak to the head of business (doing a business management module)

Anything else I can do?
    (Original post by Indigo&Violet)
    I'm going to start with the very obvious because it can be easy to forget things when you're stressed:

Have you checked he's still at the uni?
    Is your uni striking? If so, the lecturers have a backlog of stuff to do and only two days a week to do it in so it might take longer than usual to reply.

If you've left it say a couple of weeks, sent a reminder email and still had no reply then it looks like they're not happy to provide a reference for you, and there is no requirement for them to do so.

Have you confirmed with the business school they need a reference if you graduated from the same uni? You could try something along the lines of: I have tried asking Professor Y for a reference but have not yet received a response. Before I ask alternative lectures I wanted to check I needed to provide a reference given that my undergrad was completed at Uni X. I am happy for you to view my undergrad file if that is an acceptable alternative.

If they insist you need a reference, your options are:

Ask another lecturer. They won't know you, they'll write something bland and unhelpful, but it'll tick the reference box.
    And/or ask one of the university welfare officers or someone else who was supporting you at the time to also write a reference explaining the circumstances around your degree.

Universities know that references can be tough. I have found they are more willing to be forgiving when you say "You asked for X, I had trouble getting it so I've given you Y" than just saying it's not possible.

Best of luck.

Hi, thanks for the response, the uni have agreed to waive the reference due to what I’ve gone through.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you even commenting? If you’ve not got anything nice to say, don’t say it!
    Do you think this ranting is particularly nice? If not, do you think you should be saying it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Do you think this ranting is particularly nice? If not, do you think you should be saying it?

No, it’s not horrible either. But I was asking for some advice on a SENSTITIVE subject and received a sarcastic comment. So why do you have to join in?

ReputationRep:
    seriously get lost
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Leave Jessica alone if you don't have a constructive comment to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    seriously get lost
    Who are you?

No, it’s not horrible either. But I was asking for some advice on a SENSTITIVE subject and received a sarcastic comment. So why do you have to join in?
    You don't know they were being unhelpful (deliberately). Awfully rude to lash out at strangers, and bizarre to then have the gall to label their contribution as "not nice", as if you're the exemplar of civility. Why couldn't you just ignore their post, instead of trying to humble them? I am joining in because you need to be told that you should treat people with respect if you ever expect respect.

ReputationRep:
    physically go the uni.... emails are easy to ignore...physical people arent.

ReputationRep:
    Who are you?

You don't know they were being unhelpful (deliberately). Awfully rude to lash out at strangers, and bizarre to then have the gall to label their contribution as "not nice", as if you're the exemplar of civility. Why couldn't you just ignore their post, instead of trying to humble them? I am joining in because you need to be told that you should treat people with respect if you ever expect respect.
    I am not lashing out; repetitive, unhelpful comments worded badly are coming across as rude. I’ll not humble you and ignore any of your further comments. All I asked for was advice, not sarcastic comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    This is always best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    I like this idea!

ReputationRep:
    Get a grip snowflake. Just because you don't like the answer (because it involves you working instead of taking the easy route) doesn't mean it's a bad answer. No wonder you're struggling with references.
    Are you kidding me? I’m a snowflake? I think you’re the snowflake, sat behind a keyboard trying to be horrible to people. I have actually got references now as this was posted a month ago and the university agreed to waive them. All I asked for was advice. I hope you never have to experience something like domestic violence and don’t have to deal with how it affects your life afterwards. Honestly, stop being a keyboard warrior and get off this thread.

ReputationRep:
    You seem happy about it

ReputationRep:
    It's not your thread snowflake. Don't post publicly if you're too scared to leave your safe space. I didn't say anything horrible you just didn't like my advice and got upset because you think you're a princess.

Who said I thought I was a princess and what safe place have I mentioned?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    OP's question has been answered.

And a reminder to please keep any forum contributions constructive. Thanks.

Thread now closed.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.