Turn on thread page Beta

Look what the Tory rats are up to now watch

ReputationRep:
    It costs money to apply for ID, so this policy would be problematic for alienating and dis-empowering vulnerable and underprivileged people from voting for parties that represent their needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    vague reference to "other options"
    Options other than photo ID are other means of identifying oneself without a government-issued photo ID.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Options other than photo ID are other means of identifying oneself without a government-issued photo ID.
    Which will still disenfranchise voters for absolutely no valid reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Which will still disenfranchise voters for absolutely no valid reason.
    Why will people be disenfranchised? If they can register to vote they can ask the council to give validate their identity and give them ID. If they cannot register then the need for an ID is irrelevant. If they are not entitled to vote they will be caught out (and that is the valid reason for introducing such measures that you have not spotted).
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Why will people be disenfranchised? If they can register to vote they can ask the council to give validate their identity and give them ID. If they cannot register then the need for an ID is irrelevant.
    You're putting your faith in the councils to get this right? Don't make me laugh. It once took me 9 months and many tedious phone calls just to get them to send me the correct tax bill. ****-ups like that are hardly uncommon either; council bureaucracy is often utterly terirble and error-prone. That's partly why voter registration is done centrally through gov.uk now (at least in GB). On top of that, given the drastic underfunding of councils going on right now, with some local authorities in the country on the brink of bankrupcy, how exactly is this system going to work effectively?

If they are not entitled to vote they will be caught out (and that is the valid reason for introducing such measures that you have not spotted).
    There was something like 400 cases of election fraud across the entire nation during the last election. It's a complete non-issue to start with, and voter ID will probably disenfranchise more than 400 people creating an even worse problem than the one it attempts to solve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Lefties want you to get a license for everything apart from voting, I wonder why that is?

😂😂😂
    Lot's of peopel don't have driving liscences becuase they can;t afford it. It's a literal barrier to driving.

Of course fascists, like yourself, are totally on baord with erecting barriers making it harder to vote.

Again this is an example of poltcis really being about authoratarians vs libertarians. Of course people such as AperfectBalance like the idea of IDs (I doubt they like it when Blair did it though). They crave hard rigid control of society. All the way from telling people how to raise a family and who is or is not aloud to live in this county.

ReputationRep:
    Lefties want you to get a license for everything apart from voting, I wonder why that is?

😂😂😂
    license to get dangerous weapons, Lefties: "OBVIOUSLY"
    license to drive because it can be dangerous if you are untrained, Lefties "MAKES SENSE"
    license to drink a potentially dangerous drug that is not good for younger people, Lefties "SEEMS GOOD"
    license to help decide the fate of your country and local area, "OMG NO WAY WHAT ABOUT A PERSON THAT IS AFRAID TO FILL A FORM"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    license to get dangerous weapons, Lefties: "OBVIOUSLY"
    license to drive because it can be dangerous if you are untrained, Lefties "MAKES SENSE"
    license to drink a potentially dangerous drug that is not good for younger people, Lefties "SEEMS GOOD"
    license to help decide the fate of your country and local area, "OMG NO WAY WHAT ABOUT A PERSON THAT IS AFRAID TO FILL A FORM"
    lol lefties like drugs. Drug laws are dumb.

First two are very sensible. Last two are dumb. Why on earth do you think handing the government the power to decide who is capable of voting it s good idea? Poeple driving without a liscence means more dead people, government vetting who can vote is one hell of a silppery slope. If it is just about making sure you are identifiable when you vote to stop voter fraud... why are we spending all the money on a none existant issue that we know will cause problems with causing voter supression. Already marginalised people willm just get another barrier to voting. Which is the real intention fo course. The government better pay for it. I'm already at the stage of where I can not even afford to buy a book on a whim, never mind shelling out whatever it costs to get an ID card.

---------------------------

Regardless of the merits or problems with this idea the only reason this is getting pushed by tories is because it basically acts as extention of thier voter supression and gerrymandering strategies. They can't actually win votes so they need to find ways to depress Labour votes or makes sure they don't count.

It's gets pushed by the anti-crobyn Labour right types because they are idoit slugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Lot's of peopel don't have driving liscences becuase they can;t afford it. It's a literal barrier to driving.

Of course fascists, like yourself, are totally on baord with erecting barriers making it harder to vote.
    Ay? So driving license requirements are fascist? What about Doctors licenses or any other licenses? Are they not too barriers for people getting ahead by the state.

Very objectivist of you! 😜

Again this is an example of poltcis really being about authoratarians vs libertarians. Of course people such as AperfectBalance like the idea of IDs (I doubt they like it when Blair did it though).
    Blair favoured mandatory ID cards. It’s oeffectky reasonable to be against those but still support ID in principle- eg ID for buying Booze or violent games etc. Or is that fascism too?

They crave hard rigid control of society. All the way from telling people how to raise a family and who is or is not aloud to live in this county.
    Agreed, but wouldn’t say we crave this, we just think it’s the only way to have a functional control.

How on earth can you have a functioning welfare state and NHS if you’re against forms of ID and are also against any form of border restrictions?

This cannot be achieved in a single country- this is why neoliberals are the real communists!

ReputationRep:

Again this is an example of poltcis really being about authoratarians vs libertarians. Of course people such as AperfectBalance like the idea of IDs (I doubt they like it when Blair did it though). They crave hard rigid control of society. All the way from telling people how to raise a family and who is or is not aloud to live in this county.
    Yes, making sure people drive in a safe manner costs the government, having it be a small fee is perfectly acceptable and do you know what else is a barrier to driving... Buying and keeping a car, it costs far more than a test and there is no one who can afford to buy and keep a car yet cannot afford a small fee.

Well i am not a facist so... I dont argue to bring laws in about how to raise your family (to an extent) and I dont think having a immigration policy is exactly facist.

I have not read blaires policy on this but if it was like this is would be for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Yes, making sure people drive in a safe manner costs the government, having it be a small fee is perfectly acceptable and do you know what else is a barrier to driving... Buying and keeping a car, it costs far more than a test and there is no one who can afford to buy and keep a car yet cannot afford a small fee.
    Yes and you see why voting should be an easier process to go though than getting a car to drive?

We had all these discusions when we decided as a society that property should not dictate someone's ability to vote -___-

ReputationRep:
    Ay? So driving license requirements are fascist? What about Doctors licenses or any other licenses? Are they not too barriers for people getting ahead by the state.

Very objectivist of you! 😜
    No, I'm saying as a fascist the notion of mild voter disenfranchisement cuased by ID cards is of course not going to worry when you have views that are more extreme than that. There are respectable reasons for making sure peopel who drive cars and people who are doctors are qualified that are about more than just making it harder for poor people to vote. Potential consequences of someone driving who can not drive = your children are now smeared accross the road. Conseqence of making it harder for proles to vote = elites can do as they please without worrying about the consequences their actions have on said proles. I'm aware this is a hard distinction to understand for a fascist who views letting the plebs have the vote is like giving a drunk driver the keys to the car (I'm aware this is much more popualr view in light of the EU referendum, but then I regard everyone from Hitler to centrist slugs as crypto fascists )

The fact that you serioulsy went through an objectavist phase though :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    lol lefties like drugs. Drug laws are dumb.

First two are very sensible. Last two are dumb. Why on earth do you think handing the government the power to decide who is capable of voting it s good idea?
    Do you think that children and foreigners should be able to vote here then?

Poeple driving without a liscence means more dead people, government vetting who can vote is one hell of a silppery slope. If it is just about making sure you are identifiable when you vote to stop voter fraud... why are we spending all the money on a none existant issue that we know will cause problems with causing voter supression. Already marginalised people willm just get another barrier to voting. Which is the real intention fo course. The government better pay for it. I'm already at the stage of where I can not even afford to buy a book on a whim, never mind shelling out whatever it costs to get an ID card.

---------------------------

Regardless of the merits or problems with this idea the only reason this is getting pushed by tories is because it basically acts as extention of thier voter supression and gerrymandering strategies. They can't actually win votes so they need to find ways to depress Labour votes or makes sure they don't count.

It's gets pushed by the anti-crobyn Labour right types because they are idoit slugs.
    You should have ID anyway...

So are you telling me that if immigrants voted Tory the extent they all vote Labour currently, labour would still be for enfrachising them? Please. If you’re going to be cynical at least be consistent.

Additionally I’m sure that there are people in labour who would be all for barring white people for instance.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that children and foreigners should be able to vote here then?

You should have ID anyway...

So are you telling me that if immigrants voted Tory the extent they all vote Labour currently, labour would still be for enfrachising them? Please. If you’re going to be cynical at least be consistent.

Additionally I’m sure that there are people in labour who would be all for barring white people for instance.
    In fairness, the Labour Party did briefly flirt with actual fairness and democracy, having been run by union block voting forever - giving one member one vote a bit of a trial and now with Momentum in charge obviously going all out Soviet Union on anyone in their way.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm saying as a fascist the notion of mild voter disenfranchisement cuased by ID cards is of course not going to worry when you have views that are more extreme than that.
    Mate, I’ve never been that bothered by democracy

The fact that you serioulsy went through an objectavist phase though :facepalm:
    Still more feasible than anarchy communism 👍🏻😂

ReputationRep:
    . Conseqence of making it harder for proles to vote = elites can do as they please without worrying about the consequences their actions have on said proles.
    That would be the case, if it it wasn’t for the effects of immigration and identity politics which all have shown to damage social trust- eg Bowling Alone.

The WWC has been hugely disenfranchised by these policies. But I forget, what the proles want only matters when it fits into your ideology. When it doesnt theyre clearly brainwashed morons.

Hence lefty concern for ‘democracy’ is really a sham.

ReputationRep:
    How absurd of the Tories to suggest that you should have to verify your identity in some minor way before playing a part in choosing who makes our laws.

They're clearly just evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    How absurd of the Tories to suggest that you should have to verify your identity in some minor way before playing a part in choosing who makes our laws.

They're clearly just evil.
    Umm, DUH, nearly the entire Tory establishment wanted our laws made in Brussels, by unelected non British citizens, and to go even further down that route in the future, in case you have been living on another planet.

ReputationRep:
    https://action.labour.org.uk/page/s/democracy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Umm, DUH, nearly the entire Tory establishment wanted our laws made in Brussels, by unelected non British citizens, and to go even further down that route in the future, in case you have been living on another planet.
    The Conservative party is split on the Eu. There are a significant number of brexiteers on the Conservative benches. Almost to whole of labour are remain. So what’s your point?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.